Remington Model 4 .25-10 RF where's the ammo?

Rim Fire Firearms
MeatMarket

Remington Model 4 .25-10 RF where's the ammo?

Post by MeatMarket »

I took my recently purchased Winchester Model 94 to show my granddad and said "did you have one of these back in the day?" He instantly perked up and said, "no but I would have given my right arm for one" he then asked what I paid for it ($600) and he said it was worth every penny. Then he said "do you want my .25-10 single shot?" To which I replied yes. It is a Remington Model 4 rolling block single shot chambered in .25-10RF. I know this caliber has long been discontinued, but would like to find some somewhere. He just gave it to me because he said it doesn't have much collectibility for him if he can't shoot it. I'm of a similar frame of mind, but couldn't pass up a free gun. It's a nice little light rifle but must have been used a lot in its day as the rifling is very faint. The octagonal barrel disconnects at the flip of a lever on the right side of the receiver. Any idea when this was made? Oldguns.net has no data for it. Here are the pics:
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remington Model 4 .25-10 RF where's the ammo?

Post by Longcolt44 »

Try the Old Western Scrounger for ammo. I think they will even make it for at a price of course.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You acquire reloading gear and learn to make the cartridge yourself, then take granddad shooting with it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You acquire reloading gear and learn to make the cartridge yourself, then take granddad shooting with it.
That wouldn't be impossible. I do some reloading already, mostly for .303 though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I started my reloading with a Lee loader kit and a mallet, all of it fit in a small shoe box including the can of powder. 45/70 that was, and I still sometimes load with that kit. .25-10 will be a bit more complicated if you can't find brass, you will have to make it from something similar, or have it custom made.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you found a box of these old rimfire cartridges they would probably be too collectible and costly to shoot. I wonder what it would cost to have the model 4 rolling block sleeved and chambered to 22 mag or long rifle?
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

As to when that model 4 was made I 've never seen one before and the old timers in my family say Remington must not have have made very many,perhaps because of the civil war taking up all production for military rifles.Production of civilian guns took a back seat during this time. Nice rifle .Hope you can find some ammo.JGC
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

I think .25-10 was the Remington designation for .25 Stevens. If this is correct, it MIGHT make your search for shootable ammunition easier.

http://www.remington.com/products/archi ... block.aspx

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Genetically Swiss wrote:I think .25-10 was the Remington designation for .25 Stevens. If this is correct, it MIGHT make your search for shootable ammunition easier.

http://www.remington.com/products/archi ... block.aspx

GS
It looks like most listings market it as .25 Stevens Long even though it doesn't say long on the box. I guess to confirm it's not the .25 Stevens short. Every box I see is pretty pricy; in excess of $100.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Is this not a rimfire round?
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

bunkysdad wrote:Is this not a rimfire round?
Yes it is rim fire
Genetically Swiss

bunkysdad wrote:Is this not a rimfire round?

Yes, and production ceased around 1960. Very pricy nowadays.

GS

-Lebed-
finloq

Post by finloq »

Isn't that a .25 Stevens?

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/i ... 20List.pdf

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Genetically Swiss

It is, but it was a rimfire cartridge. .25-21 and .25-25 Stevens were centerfire. Gunbroker has .25 Stevens rimfire ammunition for sale. Box of 50 (Remington Kleanbore) right now is at $81. Bidding is still open... :beek:

GS

-Lebed-
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Well, does anyone know how to make a rimfire cartridge to these specs without costing more than an overpriced box of 50 rounds on gunbroker?
Bullet diameter .251 in (6.4 mm)
Neck diameter .276 in (7.0 mm)
Base diameter .276 in (7.0 mm)
Rim diameter .333 in (8.5 mm)
Case length 1.125 in (28.6 mm)
Overall length 1.395 in (35.4 mm)
Primer type rimfire
finloq

Post by finloq »

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Don't know if this helps but this is the explanation I found at of all places answers.com It explains the 10 part of the 25-10 and also has the phone number to Old Western Scrounger that Chuck mentioned. http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_can_you_ ... ammunition

"Try Old Western Scrounger at 1-304-262-9870. The ammunition itself was discontinued in 1942 and is more commonly called the 25 Steven. It was also known as the 25-10 because it was a 25 caliber 67 grain bullet loaded with 10 grains of blackpowder. It was soon obsoleted with the introduction of the 22 magnum which was cheaper and more powerful. If Scrounger can't help then I guess your only option would be to find a antique ammunition dealer maybe at a gun show. Hope this helps....Steve"

Here's a bunch of 25 Stevens vintage stuff for sale. Not sure if it's even the right stuff and man is it expensive. Clicking some of the boxes shows it's 67gr bullets. http://www.rtgammo.com/obsolamm.html