Current pricing on SCW Mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

Re: Current pricing on SCW Mosin?

Post by djbuck1 »

Motorradfahrer wrote:
clayshooter2 wrote:That is an interesting cut out in the stock at the rear of the cross bolt. I haven't seen that before, but their are a lot of interesting field repairs and such on many SCW rifles. If you don't mind, what did you end up buying it for?
Still trying to determine the price...
Wait. You're not hesitating over buying an SCW marked 1914 PTG are you?

If this is a friend's rifle, ask him what he wants. If it's south of $350, give him $350 and walk away happy. If he wants more and you don't want to pay that much, send him to me!

I think that only an auction could determine the current market price of this rifle. If you want to be saintly (seriously) let him do that. In your place, I'd mention that (just to have a clear conscience) then offer $350 and hope he accepts. :2cents:

NOTE WELL: My comments are based on trying to do right by a friend, not on getting "the best deal." Those are two very different frames of reference.
Motorradfahrer

Post by Motorradfahrer »

Not hesitating, no. I'm pretty much sold on it. Just trying to figure out the best price to offer is where I'm at. The good news is that the wife says I can get what I want out of this collection.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

If the rifle is structurally sound and in good working order, I would grab it FAST. This is not a 1936-1937 SCW Tula.

I've acquired two such recently, with one close to $300 and another less than $200 (the seller didn't know what he had, and I suspect that particular auction was missed or glossed over by the Brotherhood).

You're talking about what looks to be an M91, 1914 dated, AND an SCW, AND with the "USSR" marking. The old timers on here may have seen and acquired one of these, but this is unique within my experience. This rifle was through WWI, the Revolution, possibly the Civil War, then went as an aid rifle to the Reds during the SCW! Think of the history . . .
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

It looks like it hasn't been stored well and could have a sewer for a bore.

I would buy this if I came across it, $250 and I wouldn't hesitate, $350 and I'd try to get it down to $300 due to the condition But id likely still get it at $350 if the bore was acceptable.
Kollaa kestää
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Lee has a better feel for the market than I do, but you should have a pretty good idea of the price range/factors by now.
Motorradfahrer

Post by Motorradfahrer »

Yes. Thanks so much for the help! I'll give the bore a good look and that'll be the final determining factor. Hopefully post some better pics eventually.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I am late to the party but after seeing the pictures I would expect the bore to match all the other metal. If the bore is as bad as the other metal I wouldn't go over a hundred fifty. It needs a ton of cleaning to remove all the surface rust. Don't get carried away just because he is a friend.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

For me, bore condition would mean nothing. But then again, I focus on SCW rifles, haha!

I would pay $250 without hesitation. Offer lower than that and see what happens. It is not often that a Spanish Civil War M91 makes an appearance. I've been looking for one in the wild for the longest time, and have yet to see one. As mentioned before, this rifle survived World War I, The Revolution and Russian Civil War, and finally the Spanish Civil War. That's ALOT of awesome history.

I expect to hear tomorrow that this rifle is in your hand and ownership, haha!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

We are waiting for the good news??
:ani-pop:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I don't even look at the bore of M91s. If it is nice, it is just a plus. I've bought most of my collection off the online auction sites and never got a look at the bore and am happy with all my purchases. And most of them are certainly accurate enough. If I wanted a great bore, I would buy a M39. But I like M91s so much better I am planning on selling my second M39.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When I buy a rifle for accuracy and perfect bore condition it's new and it has a name like Remington, Winchester, or Savage on it. Milsurps I never gave a damn if they shot well or not, I buy them for history, not accuracy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

It is 100% an M91. Tula never made Dragoons until 1923. Plus a Dragoon handguard and barrel bands are different too. Dragoons use barrel band springs to hold the bands in place like a 91/30.
Motorradfahrer

Post by Motorradfahrer »

Thought everyone might like some better pics so created album on photo bucket..
http://s123.photobucket.com/user/Motorc ... deshow/M91

Sorry for the late post but I've been traveling some.

BTW, also buying a 1917 Remington M91 from him as well as a few other rifles. It's adding up :)
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Motorradfahrer wrote:Thought everyone might like some better pics so created album on photo bucket..
http://s123.photobucket.com/user/Motorc ... deshow/M91

Sorry for the late post but I've been traveling some.

BTW, also buying a 1917 Remington M91 from him as well as a few other rifles. It's adding up :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mosinhope

Post by Mosinhope »

Junk Yard Dog is right on the money of a value of $250-$350.USD for a SCW Mosin. A M91 with a 1914 date WITH the "Made In USSR stamp is very unique and rare. You can't go wrong with purchasing that rifle.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

When you tear it down to take care of the rust that looks sure to be under the wood remember this: The barrel band screws turn to opposite way to loosen the bands. You can easily break them and ruin the band if you go the wrong way. I'd dab some break-free or something on the band screws and let them sit a while before trying it too. And please don't do what I see people advocate and do daily on other sites, stay away from steel wool to clean the active rust! Solvent, a brass brush and elbow grease work fine to stabilize it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Motorradfahrer

Post by Motorradfahrer »

racerguy00 wrote:When you tear it down to take care of the rust that looks sure to be under the wood remember this: The barrel band screws turn to opposite way to loosen the bands. You can easily break them and ruin the band if you go the wrong way. I'd dab some break-free or something on the band screws and let them sit a while before trying it too. And please don't do what I see people advocate and do daily on other sites, stay away from steel wool to clean the active rust! Solvent, a brass brush and elbow grease work fine to stabilize it.
Thanks for the advice. Never worked on something that needed this much help before so it's going to be a challenge.
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

My LGS had a 1933 Tula 91/30 SCW for $149. Bore was totally pitted, or I would have bought it.

They simply thought it was a beat up mismatched Mosin, which it was.
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
gurn

Post by gurn »

I really like the looks and character of this one. In case you don't already know the screws on the barrel bands are loosened buy turning clockwise. Many screw heads have been buggered up for lack of knowledge. Congrats on a hard to find variant. :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Motorradfahrer

Post by Motorradfahrer »

gurn wrote:I really like the looks and character of this one. In case you don't already know the screws on the barrel bands are loosened buy turning clockwise. Many screw heads have been buggered up for lack of knowledge. Congrats on a hard to find variant. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much for the advice on the screw. I'd hate to make a simple mistake and damage something.