Long Branch-branch out

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Long Branch-branch out

Post by SA1911a1 »

Happy Vets day brothers and sisters!

I have been looking at a lonely Long Branch hanging out in a dusty pawn shop for too long. It is a CAI import from Canada. I brought it home, knowing nothing about these rifles. This one came with a gorgeous bore and included the pig-sticker. It is non-matching, but has that lived-in look I like in milsurps. I am going to have to round up some .303 for the weekend. At $250.00, I have no idea how I did, but looking at the auction houses it feels like a pretty fair deal to me.

Is non-matching as bad as in Mosins?

Does anyone know anything about the stock markings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Mosinhope

Re: Long Branch-branch out

Post by Mosinhope »

In my opinion Long Branch #4's are the best made. $250 USD is not bad these days for mis-matched numbers. Actually it is a pretty good price with the excellent bore and the spike bayonet. You did well!!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

That's a good deal Steve, I've got a No. 4 and two No. 3's.Only one has a matching bolt and all shoot great. Okie has the headspace gauge.

Red
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice deal, just be sure to check that headspace.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks good :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: Thanks for your service also Steve :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

You did well. I wouldn't concern myself with the numbers matching or not... As long as it passes headspace it should be good to go.

Regarding stamps & markings... Check this out.

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/markings/
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Be prepared for it not to pass, in my experience these rarely pass using a US Sammi spec gauge, yet you would never notice any problems with the brass. In the old days we tested the rifle with it tied to a tire and a string on the trigger, if it didn't blow up then we were good to go. We would look over the brass for signs of a problem, it looked OK we were good. Back then you couldn't just go online and find a gauge in five minutes, so we made do. Years later when I had gauges I tested some of the Enfields we shot long and well with, they all failed, yet not a one showed any problems with the brass. I have had many since that did pass with a US gauge, mostly late production rifles and Lithgows. I suspect the British used different measurement's for the headspace back before WW2, or the rifles simply stretched and the brass rimmed case is very forgiving.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

OKIE has a good set of gauges for your Enfield. :vcool:

http://www.okiegauges.com/sales.html
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes he does, and he would have done very well selling them in 1989 when the Enfield flood was coming in. Of course he would have had to do it without the internet.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes he does, and he would have done very well selling them in 1989 when the Enfield flood was coming in. Of course he would have had to do it without the internet.
I really missed out on that 1989 Flood. :angry4:

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rongo wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes he does, and he would have done very well selling them in 1989 when the Enfield flood was coming in. Of course he would have had to do it without the internet.
I really missed out on that 1989 Flood. :angry4:
I didn't :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Enfields for a year or so were like Mosins were in 2000-2005, cheap and plentiful. Then the ammo ran out.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Yea sure... Rub it in! :roll: :lol:

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When I took the bolt apart I was surprised that the bolt head could be screwed in or out and left in any old position. I will be making the call tonight to get the gauge. I am far too pretty to end up with a face full of splinters.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Regarding the headspace testing,I always test and even when they pass I take JYD's advice and tie the gun to a test stand of some kind and pull the trigger with a string from behind cover for the first shot (just to be sure). Thanks for your service too and good luck with the fine looking Long Branch.JGC
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The bolt heads do screw on BUT, always screw it until it bottoms out and then back it off just enough to be in proper alignment. It is not an adjustment feature.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice. Whew... scared me for a second when you started talking about headspace issues. I am in the market for one and Tula Tom is helping me out to get the right rifle. We do know someone who has a bunch for sale right now. Just waiting for the information and pictures. Anyway, I know virtually nil about these and didn't know you could use a coin gauge for headspace-so I'm thinking rimmed... I was thinking about having to buy an expensive gauge for one rifle. Happy days.. no need to. If I buy an Enfield should I get the field gauge?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The Field gauge should be sufficient for your needs.

"Dang that entropy"
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Nice Enfield, and I think you paid a fair price too. Get u a Okie field gauge, check her out, and then enjoy the fun. :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Love all the Stamos on the buttstock. Looks good! :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I shot the rifle a while ago and I was injured in the process........ I kept hitting myself in the nose when cycling the bolt.......

The rifle is fine and the nose will grow back, so all is well.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum