First mosin sniper, is this accuracy acceptable?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
dohcsvt

First mosin sniper, is this accuracy acceptable?

Post by dohcsvt »

Hello,
I recently purchased a Mosin 91/30 PU sniper. I purchased this to participate in "vintage sniper" matches at my club. I also purchased surplus soviet "Match" ammo from Grafs and sons (183gr blue box). Anyway, I took it to the range and got it zeroed and then did 3 groups of 5 shots. They were 1.05", 1.2" and 1.43". The bore on the rifle is perfect and it looks like it had little to no use in its life. I originally was coming here to ask about pillar bedding, but I see that any modifications are frowned upon. So point, is this acceptable accuracy for this weapon in as issued condition? I am overall pleased with it, but am not sure what I should expect from it in factory form. Also, I did some 5 shot groups with the standard issue 149gr light ball ammo and it seems to keep between 2.25 and 2.6. All of this shooting was performed at 100 meters. Thanks for your feed back.
Ottis
Titanium Hammer

Re: First mosin sniper, is this accuracy acceptable?

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Welcome to the forum dohcsvt. Fellow forum member Lotema & I both had our PU snipers recently purchased from AIM out to the range this morning. He's been working on some hand loads for his PU for a few weeks now & clocked in with a best group of .76" at 100yds from a Led Sled. I shot regular 70's Russian surplus from a bench rest and came in at around 2" at 100yds. I think you did very well and could do even better if you reload & come up with a load that your PU likes. :thumbsup:
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

That sounds pretty good to me! Ive been fighting with some of the surplus, will have a great group going and then always one flyer in the group that breaks it up to a 1-2" group. Like Titanium Hammer mentioned, ive spent the past few weekends working on some hand loads for it and finally found one that seems to work really well. I'm going to do another 40-50 rounds of just that next time I take the PU out and see how it works without the Magnetospeed attaches to the rifle.

The rifles are certainly capable, just need to find the right round that will work for yours. Your groups already sound very good for a 70 year old Russian rifle!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I will post this one again.

From mosin-nagant.net, the accuracy requirements at arsenal test was: a 91/30 PU rifle was expected to shoot 10 shots into 3.5 cm (1.38") at 100m, 7.5 cm (2.96") at 200m, 18 cm (7.09") at 400m, and 35 cm (13.79") at 600m.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

jones0430 wrote:I will post this one again.

From mosin-nagant.net, the accuracy requirements at arsenal test was: a 91/30 PU rifle was expected to shoot 10 shots into 3.5 cm (1.38") at 100m, 7.5 cm (2.96") at 200m, 18 cm (7.09") at 400m, and 35 cm (13.79") at 600m.
Did Russian snipers receive match grade ammo or did they typically shoot standard issue?

I would suspect the latter given the logistical situation that existed.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I think they used issued ammo. The smart ones would inspect the rounds and if a cartridge looked a bit suspect they might have discarded it. Otherwise, they used what they had.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
OLd_Sarg

Post by OLd_Sarg »

the surplus light ball I have been shooting can not be expected to group this well.
there is a lot of deviation in pressure that can be seen on my primers and 2.5 inches is what I have been getting with my PU.
I have to get this stuff across the coronagraph to see how good/bad it is.
in this video you can see what I am talking about if you look close;

If you have an issue with mild mods (like bedding) don't look. :facepalm2:

My guns have to shoot up to standard of the day, if not they are gone,no safe queens in my pile.
that is the way I roll, good or bad :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EB3w60nzw
Bugelson

Re: Vs: First mosin sniper, is this accuracy acceptable?

Post by Bugelson »

jones0430 wrote:I think they used issued ammo. The smart ones would inspect the rounds and if a cartridge looked a bit suspect they might have discarded it. Otherwise, they used what they had.
There are accounts of snipers test shooting different lots to see how each lot groups. That must have been the preferred way to operate as the Soviet war time ammo varied a lot from ok to terrible.

Did the snipers often had a possibility to go through different lots, that I do not know.