Mosin feeding problem.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lane64

Mosin feeding problem.

Post by Lane64 »

Ok, so when I have 5 bullets in the mag and I try to chamber one usually whenever the bolt is almost completely closed it stops and won't move unless I force it closed. It does this for most rounds. When on the last one it seems as if the spring in the mag does not push the bullet up high enough for it either doesn't touch it or catches it then it immediately gets stuck. This is my first mosin so someone please help me.
MarksmanTim

Re: Mosin feeding problem.

Post by MarksmanTim »

It sounds as though you answered the question already. It's possible the mag spring is too weak. It's also possible the extractor is too tight on the bolt head, not allowing the rounds to easily seat into the bolt face. It's hard to diagnose properly over the internet, but those are my thoughts.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Lane64

Post by Lane64 »

MarksmanTim wrote:It sounds as though you answered the question already. It's possible the mag spring is too weak. It's also possible the extractor is too tight on the bolt head, not allowing the rounds to easily seat into the bolt face. It's hard to diagnose properly over the internet, but those are my thoughts.
How would I go about fixing these?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have checked headspace? Have you inspected the chamber walls for any broken shell bit that might be stuck in there?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Or an extremely thorough cleaning of the chamber? Really thorough cleaning.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Reading his description again, it really sounds like an extractor problem. As you feed the round with the bolt, it's not catching the round all the way into the bolt face, so when you get it in the chamber, you have to force the extractor on the rest of the way to get it seat and close on the chamber.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

spend $25 on a new bolt head with extractor. Simple way of testing it. Or play with the extractor, or buy a new extractor.

A picture of the bolt head would help.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Lane64

Post by Lane64 »

Sorry for the late reply everyone. Right now I'm at work and I'll be home later. There I'll give yall a step by step of what's going on with it and I will try to get some pictures.
81turbota

Post by 81turbota »

1st step is cleaning the chamber really well. Hardened cosmoline on the chamber is the number one culprit of Mosin bolt problems.

I fixed my M38 feeding problem as it had a heavily worn and grooved extractor. I purchased a bolt head with a new extractor as mentioned and it looks like Finn surplus. Make sure you verify headspace if you change bolt parts. It's as smooth as my Finns now! I can cycle the rifle loaded with one finger, compared to beating it with an open palm before.
1898 Tula M91 - SA
1929 Tula 91/30 - MO/53
1931 Tula 91/30
1934 Tikka M27
1940 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M38
1944 VKT M39
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper
1968 No maker M39

1941 Podolsk SVT40 - SA
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Welcome Lane64. I read your comments regarding the Mosin feeding problem and have had some of the same problems you described. I have many differnt model Mosins and various problems over the years. May I suggest you review a book titled The Mosin Nagant Rifle by Terrance Lapin. Along with basic helpful maintenance,the author also includes a history of the various types of Mosins and pictures to aid the newcomer.Other helpful data can also be found in this forum.Good Luck :thumbsup: JGC
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Clean the chamber well, thorough inspection, check headspace, swap a bolthead from a buddies gun (Check headspace again) to test. To what level did you clean & disassemble the rifle? There could be some goo in the magazine & spring. If the mag spring is sprung I may have a spare.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"