Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 Percussion

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
sgtheindl

Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 Percussion

Post by sgtheindl »

I really hadn't thought too much about taking a step into black powder but I saw the rifle that is making me take the leap. I found a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal percussion that's unfired. I had always said that if I was going to get a BP rifle it had to be in wood and this fits the bill. What I didn't realize in the first 30 seconds is that the rifle is left handed which is perfect for me and pretty much sealed the deal. I put it on layaway at the price of $329. Zero research was done on the price before I did that but I knew that wood stocked BP rifles were usually a little pricer than polymer ones. Can't wait to get the rifle out of layaway and fire way slower than I ever have before!

One question, how do .54 caliber supplies compare in cost to .50 cal?

Stock photo.

I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
tjtM38

Re: Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 Percussion

Post by tjtM38 »

I don't think you will have any problem finding shooting supplies for the .54 Cal, and I don't think there is much difference in the cost of components between .54 vs .50. The larger projectiles may be slightly higher cost. One thing you do need to find out is what rate of twist your rifle is. Some of the Lyman Great Plains rifles are 1" in 66" which makes them only suitable for round ball (patched ball). If it is a fast twist, it may only be suitable for conical or sabot bullets. I" in 48" twist may shoot either the round ball or conical, although my rifle likes the patched round ball.

By the way, you have a really nice rifle at a fair market price. These rifles are made by InvestArm from Italy and are of a very high quality for a mass-produced rifle. When I first started shooting black powder rifles in Pennsylvania, I went to a store that specialized in only black powder rifles, both commercial and custom made, and asked them what I should start with as a first time black powder shooter. This place, known as Dixon's Muzzle Loaders, recommended either a Lyman Great Plains or a Lyman Trade Rifle in either .50 or .54 Cal. I chose the Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 Cal which was a bit shorter and had a 1" in 48" twist barrel making it an all around barrel for round ball or conical bullets. I still have it today.

:thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Get a mold and cast your own.

I cast my own for all my BP rifles.

I have a .58 Hawkin "Hunter" from Invest Arms. I cast my own conical and round balls.

A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

If you think Mosinitus is bad wait till you set this thing off.
I went to a Muzzle loader Shoot Event, Fellow let me shoot his flint lock,that was all it took.
Now I have 3 Rifles ,1 Pistol and A Revolver.
Richard
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I bought a kit lyman great plains rifle many years back now and I think I paid more then that. Mine also is a 1/66 twist and I use patched balls. This is a very accurate rifle and shoots and handle fantastic. I love mine. I prefer the larger calibers. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cast your own for it, these are a lot of fun, and after cleaning black powder fouling you will never think cleaning your Mosin's corrosive residue is a chore again.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

Got the old 1863 Springfield out today to get ready for black powder Deer season. I found out the only thing you have to remember when hunting with a 58 cal. rifle is to try and get a head or neck shot because it takes a lot of meat with it on impact.

Image.