Wow. These Groups.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mosin-Marauder

Wow. These Groups.

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

This is the result of my 1941 Izhevsk 91/30 at 75 yards on its 200 yard sight setting with 180 grain Winchester SPs. If you remember from my last post it was a 2" group at 50 yards. Discounting the obvious flyer( I got hit in the nose and pulled the last shot) it is a 1 1/2" group. At a longer distance no less. I am extremely satisfied. I almost gave up on this rifle too.

Now to the questions I need to ask.

Since I plan to start hand loading for this rifle, should I start off with 180 grain .308 diameter bullets first?

Next, what powder should I use? 4064 is what I plan on using, if I could get some, I'd use Hodgdon Varget. But I haven't seen any (ever).

Next, Lee hand press, anyone use them to reload for their Mosin? And the Lee Powder Dippers? How precise are they? Have you had good success with them? (Whichever you use?)

Lastly, anything you folks think I could improve upon? Anything at all?

Thank you for your help, and your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.
zeebill

Re: Wow. These Groups.

Post by zeebill »

I don't reload so I can't really help you other than to say the heading for this post is kind of misleading and that might be why you have no replies. Maybe a different heading for this post would get you more help? Bill
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I've always used powder measure rather than a Lee "dipper" and I weigh every tenth charge, even with my Dillon 550. I'd slug the barrel and use an appropriately sized bullet, either cast or jacketed. I'd think about a gas check on a cast bullet (Boolit)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

No to the hand press. You will just irritate yourself. Besides a Lee single stage press is only a little more money. A Lee starter set and a set of dies will run you about 150.00 or slightly less. It'll have a scale too. The dippers are good, good meaning consistent enough and safe because they tend to drop a amount that is on the safe side. Here is the deal. You are a guy that is concerned about small tight groups. A hand press and die set is great for entering the hobby cheap and making ammo that is plinking quality. You will upgrade anyway, or never use the equipment so might as well just get the press. As for the bullets, you need to use the bullet listed in your reload data.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Not too shabby.
docbob

Post by docbob »

I enjoy shooting the Lyman bullet 314299 (gas check) that I cast fairly hard, loaded on top of 16.0 grains of 2400 powder. This is considered "the load" by many cast bullet shooters for cartridges of this size. I size the bullet to .311" diameter for most of my rifles.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

That starter kit is tempting. I think I will get that. It's not too much more and you get a lot more stuff. Thanks for telling me about that, bunkysdad.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Titanreloading.com is sometimes hard to beat on pricing. :-)