Makarov 9mm Pistol

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jdawg3128

Makarov 9mm Pistol

Post by Jdawg3128 »

Me and My father are looking into a Makarov 9mm if at all possible so if any of you have some pros cons for this pistol and maybe a place to purchase one or maybe two for the price Thanks for any and all help and ill let you guys know if we end up getting one :)
tjtM38

Re: Makarov 9mm Pistol

Post by tjtM38 »

Military Makarovs are getting hard to find. Russian pistols are at premium prices, if you can find one. Bulgarian Makarovs were available in the past, but also getting scarce. Probably the best place to look is Gunbroker. I don't think any of the standard surplus places are selling any right now. Prices will run 300 to 500 depending on the type, condition and country of manufacture.

I have three Russian commercial Makarovs that were offered in the early 90's. The pistols are referred to as model IJ-70. These are just like military pistols but with an adjustable rear sight. I have two in 9x18 (the original Makarov caliber) and one in .380 ACP. The Makarov is a simple, straight blowback pistol based on the Walther PP design with a fixed, pinned barrel. The pistols are simple, reliable and accurate. I highly recommend one if you can find it.
Jdawg3128

Post by Jdawg3128 »

Thanks for the Info i will Hopefully find one and let you know. Thanks again
dalek

Post by dalek »

If you can settle for Makarov-shooting pistols, wideners still has PA63 and P83 for sale at pretty decent prices IMHO
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I just checked Widner's page and they did have PA63 and P83 Makarovs for sale @ about $200.00 but did not list them as C&R FFL03. They were sold out of P64 and did not list a CZ82 at all. To bad.The C&R CZ82 is my favorite. I bought two with 2000 rounds of mixed 9X18 Silver and Brown bear ammo.Also got a P64 compact with new double action spring .The new spring greatly improved the double action trigger pull.Buffalo Bore sells 9X18 Makarov +P 95 gr. JHP (1125 F.P.S./ME 267ft.lbs.) @ www.buffalobore.com which gives the Makarov extra power at a modest cost increase.The brass casings can be reloaded too.I have seen CZ82 on other suppliers sights like Alamo, J&G,Center Fire, Southern Ohio Gun,etc. If you put your name on their e-mail notification list they will let you know first when they get them in if they are on back order.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Another excellent 9X18 is the P64 Polish pistols I have a Makarov and a P64 they are both nice pistols but I think the P64 is a better made weapon.
Burhread
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

AIM Surplus has P-64's for $259 right now.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I've been looking at a FEG PA63, for the price looks like a pretty nice weapon and the reviews on line are also good. Anyone have experience with them?
Burrhead
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Burrhead, I have the PA63 and I absolutely love it. It packs a nice little punch and is small, concealable, and surprisingly accurate. The first time I took it out to shoot and my brother was with me. He saw my group in the paper next to him and had to stop and take a double take. He was as surprised as I was. 9mm Mak is a nice round in a little Walther PPK size package.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Thanks Bunky I was looking at the pistol today and it's very clean but! I also looked at another Remington Rolling Block in 43 Spanish so I may hold off and put the cash on this. I have one that I shoot now and like it a lot but this one has a meant bore and I may take the plunge on it for me for Xmas. the Boss wasn't to unhappy with the idea so I may be buying a twin to the one I have.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Burrhead wrote:I've been looking at a FEG PA63, for the price looks like a pretty nice weapon and the reviews on line are also good. Anyone have experience with them?
Burrhead
I have had about a half dozen of them, in several calibers. I bought them when they were selling in the $100.00 rang. At first I thought that they were the best thing since sliced bread. They are good little pistols for occasional plinking, but I have found that they love to break parts that are hard to find and expensive. I have divested myself of all but one of the FEG-PA 63s. My son has one left, but it is in a baggie in pieces, waiting for repairs.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jolly Green Chopper

I have a Polish P64 9X18 I ordered the Precision Gunsprings Stock # 32358 set of 3 different Hammer Springs "reduced power" from GUNSPRINGMAKERS P.O.. Box.458, Newton Square, PA 19073 610-359-9600 or 800-545-0677 . Cost was modest at about $6.00 a set,. plus minor shipping.Since they give you three different springs with no solid recomendation, I chose the middle size.The P64 has a very stiff trigger pull which can be adjusted with a spring change .So far the middle size is OK I might try the smallest one just to see the difference. www.64resource.com/fixes.php has recoil spring and main spring info with wwwGunsprings.com (W.C. Wolf Co. @ 800-545-0077) I like the p64 but prefer the CZ82 Good Luck.JGC
Jolly Green Chopper

Thanks for the tip on the different Makarov's breaking parts. Since I also have several different models of both.380 and 9X18 pistols I would appreciate it if you would tell me which of the models break most often and what parts were involved ,ThanksSA1911a1. I've been buying mostly Glocks and Ruger"s with an occaisonal Springfield Armory. I think I want to sell all my other 9X18,. .380. They are all in excellent shape. I have never had any trouble with them.Hate to give up the CZ82 9X18 because it is so accurate, Thanks again. :thumbsup: JGC
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

My CZ-82 would be the next to last gun I would ever sell. It is just too much fun and too good as a concealed carry piece! My Cugir arsenal PSL would be the last one to go BTW. :thumbsup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

I have always been intruiged by the original, Soviet Makarovs. We have one of the model IJ-70 models with holster in our shop in .380, and also something I have never seen before. It comes with a boxed .22 conversion kit. Slide, magazine and barrel insert. Never seen that before. Pretty cool, nonetheless.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I just bought a "like new" very rarely shot Bulgarian Makarov fpr $300.00 including holster, cleaning rod and two mags. I own the CZ82 and a P64 also so I thought I needed to complete the 9x18 Mak "Big Three". The CZ82 is a sweet shooter, I have it on my CCW, best DA trigger of any gun I own. It is a bit big and heavy for CCW use but I will carry it when I can wear a jacket and or layers. The P64 has become one of my favorite pistols, I shoot it pretty well, which is amazing since the sights are microscopic. The DA trigger on mine is heavy but not insane 25lb trigger pull as some report, I would say closer to 14-17lb. Not good but not unusable. The SA trigger pull is very light. I can't figure out why everyone gets in a tizzy about how terrible the recoil is on the P64, I don't find it bad at all. The Bulgarian just looks cool, it is the prototypical Cold War pistol, looks better than the CZ82 or P64 and are supposedly very accurate shooters.

I am glad that I have all three honestly. They each have a distinctive flavor, yet all are small, metal body, Cold War 9x18 Mak pistols. What's not to like? I may add the Bulgarian to my CCW once I shoot it (We are only allowed five and I have two open slots left.)
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Capybara wrote:...I may add the Bulgarian to my CCW once I shoot it (We are only allowed five and I have two open slots left.)
Where are you located that you have to have your pistols listed on your carry license? In Oklahoma we can CC anything as long as it falls under the maximum length allowed by law and is not bigger than .45 caliber. As long as you qualify with a semi auto you can carry a semi, revolver, or a derringer. If you test with anything else you are limited to that class of handgun.

Capybara

Post by Capybara »

websterz wrote:
Capybara wrote:...I may add the Bulgarian to my CCW once I shoot it (We are only allowed five and I have two open slots left.)
Where are you located that you have to have your pistols listed on your carry license? In Oklahoma we can CC anything as long as it falls under the maximum length allowed by law and is not bigger than .45 caliber. As long as you qualify with a semi auto you can carry a semi, revolver, or a derringer. If you test with anything else you are limited to that class of handgun.
California, unfortunately. Most counties here only allow five, some only allow three pistols and yes, they are actually typed on the back of your LTC hard card. I am a California native and at this point, I was excited to just get my CCW regardless of all of the dumb hoops our government here makes us jump though to get one. Up until the Peruta ruling last February, my county only had a couple of hundred CCWs for a pretty large population county (Ventura County, population 839,000), now we are working on our first 3,000 CCWs.

You have to realize that the Statists from both parties, recently the Dems, have had control over this state since the 60s so it is a wonder we are able to legally posses any guns at all. There is no such thing as the words "gun" and "common sense" in this state. Hopefully I will move to Arizona but will always keep up the fight here. The gun mindset here is a Cancer that is spreading to Washington and Nevada so we should all be donating to the fight here and supporting our California front liners, the NRA, SAF, the Calguns Foundation, etc. The disease here, if not contained, will spread to other states.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Check out Classic Firearms

They have the p64 on sale for $219 and they are throwing in a free hoster with it.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
entropy

Post by entropy »

If it's for use and carry, get the CZ82 instead of the Makarov. much better gun.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien