An Old Warhorse With Many Tales To Tell.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: An Old Warhorse With Many Tales To Tell.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember buying one for $15 a couple of years back, flea market, seller thought he was taking advantage of me. Many people who should know what these bayonets are instead have no clue, I see them misidentified as 91/30 WWII bayonets all the time, and priced accordingly.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

I know, but everyone I've seen is correctly identified and priced accordingly. I guess we're not as clueless in Kansas as some people think we are. :lol: What I do see commonly out here is common items like 91/30 bayonets passed off as "rare, one of a kind, WWI/II relics" to the uninformed. I have good luck with rifles, but apparently not bayonets. :roll:
As long as it is capable of serving its purpose, it will never be obsolete.

Disclaimer- I cannot guarantee that what I type will sound as good in your head as it does in my head.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Cool old rifle.

I remember seeing that scored line on a few different older M91s barrel shanks. Must be a tooling mark from rebarreling.
Kollaa kestää
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

Well, I got some more pictures of the old gal. I am now quite certain that the bore has been relined, which would explain the remarkable condition of it. Unfortunately for this rifle's status as one of our best shooting rifles, it looks like the chamber has been sleeved. :? I still want your opinions on this, so have a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Disclaimer- I cannot guarantee that what I type will sound as good in your head as it does in my head.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks like it, it shoots good? Then don't worry about it and enjoy it. :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Sleeved barrel or not, that is still an extremely nice Mosin! :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

It's just that I have heard tales that sleeved chambers, as in possibly rechambered to 8x50r and then sleeved back to 7.62x54r, were considered to be mildly unsafe. I suppose this could be gun folklore and not be the truth, but I am rather attached to my face and would like to remain that way. I approach things like this with caution because I do know that when things go wrong, they can go very, very wrong. At least the fact that the old gal likes light bullets is helpful in keeping pressures low. I still say this is my favorite mosin and I don't think anything can change that.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why were they considered unsafe? Seems like this rifle has seen several lifetimes worth of hard use without a problem.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The Italians did barrel sleeves. A Mosin "P" series rifle has a sleeved barrel also.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

Junk Yard Dog- As I said it may just be some old story meant to scare someone away from milsurps, but I do know of one case of a sleeved chamber or chamber insert conversion that is generally considered unsafe-Chilean 1895 Mausers that were bored out and sleeved to 7.62x51. The problem with those, as I recall, is heat and gas pressure over time can melt/cut through the silver solder used to hold the insert or sleeve in place. I think that on those they bored out the barrel to .30 cal and drilled out the chamber, then soldered a chamber insert in place. This could leave a minute gap that gas pressure could possibly expand into and eventually push the insert out. Just a note though, I may be young, but my memory isn't always perfect. :) I did mange to find a picture that will help illustrate what I am babbling about. The good news is that I see no signs of any such gap on this rifle, but I don't exactly have a borescope. (hmm... we should get one of those sometime.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Finn's rarely made a mess of things when it comes to rifles, there were some issues with earlier sleeved rifles, but I don't recall any mention of injury's, just degraded performance and ruined sleeves. The 1895 conversions are dangerous for many reasons, not the least of them is the 1895 small ring action was never designed for the modern 7.62x51mm's pressures, and the work was carried out by? The Finn conversion was returning the rifle to fire the cartridge it was intended to fire. With any ancient relic you don't want to get carried away and push it too far, 300 round shooting days would be unwise, but 10-20 rounds now and again are unlikely to hurt it.
Theodore Roosevelt
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

Yeah, I was starting to think that I was comparing apples to oranges. I guess I just want to be able to enjoy the rifle for its capabilities without worrying about damaging it. I guess I'm forgetting that it's a mosin and it has already been there and done far more than I will ever do, it's not merely some fragile piece of plastic like so many guns are today. (I may be using a bit of hyperbole here.) I think I'm done worrying about it, after thinking about it enough, I'm sure that it's fine and will continue to be so for a very long time. I will be keeping an eye out for any signs of trouble, but that's always a good idea.