A New Guy Question About The Rules.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
captkirk222

A New Guy Question About The Rules.

Post by captkirk222 »

I know that this is very much a preservation forum and I myself am pretty much a preservationist now, but I was curious about some past mistakes of mine. I was wondering whether or not it would be acceptable to show one or two of the mosins that my dad and I have that we "patched" the finish on before we knew better? I know that this is pushing the boundaries of the rules and I am a bit remorseful for having done it, but with the damage caused by the haphazard way that these rifles were packaged by the importer we wanted to "restore" the damaged finish. They are just a few refurb 91/30s that have some mildly interesting features, but had significant finish damage to the stocks. I will state that no sanding was done and the original shellac was not removed, just "patched" with a bit of new shellac. I will be understanding if it is not allowable and if this thread needs to be deleted, I understand why. If the answer is no, I will limit myself to just the mosins that we have not touched other than cleaning and shooting. We had the best of intentions at the time and I apologize for my mistakes as it was my idea to patch the finish.
As long as it is capable of serving its purpose, it will never be obsolete.

Disclaimer- I cannot guarantee that what I type will sound as good in your head as it does in my head.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: A New Guy Question About The Rules.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Patching and stabilizing the shellac is done by many, not me, I don't care if it falls off, looks more authentic that way. Gives it "patina"
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

I know, it's just that at the time we thought that repairing the damaged finish was the right thing to do because the damage was caused by the import process and wasn't 'original'. I just wanted to know if it was okay to show off the oddities that were either the reason we bought the rifle or were discovered after we started learning about them. I wasn't sure if what we had done was outside what was allowable to post here or not. I don't make a habit of breaking rules anymore, not since I got into high school and got a little more serious about life. I do; however, know for certain that what I did to the stock of my "shooter" M44 is not allowable here, so I know that I can't post it.

Disclaimer- I cannot guarantee that what I type will sound as good in your head as it does in my head.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shave head, wearing shorts and flip flops paint yourself purple, orange, and green, holding the rifle above your head run around the outside of the house in full daylight 100 times singing at the top of your voice " I am a little tea pot short and stout, this is my handle, this is my spout " If you can accomplish that without getting arrested or hauled of for a mandatory 72 hour hold and psych evaluation, or both, then the milsurp fairy's will forgive you. Oh yea, I almost forgot, have friend film it, post to youtube and link to the board, be sure he catches what happens when the cops get there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

See PM.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

Longcolt44- I understand and I will only post the (more numerous anyway) untouched ones only.

Junk Yard Dog- I considered your offer and decided that I simply cannot part with my hair yet, I'll just have to wait and see if it ever starts falling out before I can make amends (it will probably be a while) :lol: .

ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ParrotHead wrote:Image
OK, lets talk about food, I like bacon, lots of bacon, bacon on everything, or wrapped around everything :Drool1: Triple bacon cheeseburger with fried onions, that's three 1/2 pound meat patty's, six strips of bacon between each patty, and real cheese, Munster or Swiss, onions distributed around everything and served on a real roll, not that " hamburger bun " crap Need a cup of thick brown gravy to dip it in, and a tall unsweet ice tea. Might as well have some mashed potatoes with that, bacon mashed potatoes with a big chunk of real butter on top, and lots more thick brown gravy. Need some roughage so steamed broccoli will do.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

New York strip steak, well done with mushrooms and gravy, , I had a chunk of sirloin steak wrapped in bacon last trip out, shit was that good, worth every penny of the $40 I had to pay for it. Garlic mashed potatoes with gravy, fresh made rolls with real butter, apple pie, onion rings,
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
OK, lets talk about food, I like bacon, lots of bacon, bacon on everything, or wrapped around everything :Drool1: Triple bacon cheeseburger with fried onions, that's three 1/2 pound meat patty's, six strips of bacon between each patty, and real cheese, Munster or Swiss, onions distributed around everything and served on a real roll, not that " hamburger bun " crap Need a cup of thick brown gravy to dip it in, and a tall unsweet ice tea. Might as well have some mashed potatoes with that, bacon mashed potatoes with a big chunk of real butter on top, and lots more thick brown gravy. Need some roughage so steamed broccoli will do.
Just for you Jim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Theodore Roosevelt
captkirk222

Post by captkirk222 »

MMM... Thy Holy Bacon.

JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Wow :Drool1: Makes ya write bad checks just thinking of that much awesomeness in one burger. :chuckles: Of course that's a stupid post, the bacon made me do it. :spam2: Roughage ? Put fries on it !!! :biggrin:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

MMMM, BACON!
gurn

Post by gurn »

How dare you call your self captkirk and not be willing to break rules. Some time the good of the one out weighs the good of the many.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

"So Sulu, I bought this Arisaka from some guy at a flea market on Rigel 3. It had some pansy flower on it I ground off, I stripped the finish and put a coating of Polytribenyl on, and opened up the bore so it can shoot these 9x57 Klingon rounds I found in my grandfather's basement. What do you think?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Shave head, wearing shorts and flip flops paint yourself purple, orange, and green, holding the rifle above your head run around the outside of the house in full daylight 100 times singing at the top of your voice " I am a little tea pot short and stout, this is my handle, this is my spout " If you can accomplish that without getting arrested or hauled of for a mandatory 72 hour hold and psych evaluation, or both, then the milsurp fairy's will forgive you. Oh yea, I almost forgot, have friend film it, post to youtube and link to the board, be sure he catches what happens when the cops get there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tell me where he lives. I don't want to answer that call and neither does Sgt Rob. (I'm speaking for him but I know he doesn't want that call)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Shave head, wearing shorts and flip flops paint yourself purple, orange, and green, holding the rifle above your head run around the outside of the house in full daylight 100 times singing at the top of your voice " I am a little tea pot short and stout, this is my handle, this is my spout " If you can accomplish that without getting arrested or hauled of for a mandatory 72 hour hold and psych evaluation, or both, then the milsurp fairy's will forgive you. Oh yea, I almost forgot, have friend film it, post to youtube and link to the board, be sure he catches what happens when the cops get there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tell me where he lives. I don't want to answer that call and neither does Sgt Rob. (I'm speaking for him but I know he doesn't want that call)
Come on, you could film it for us :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Just for you Jim.
Lemme know when it's fully cooked...

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44