Early Model 1903 - Caliber Conversion

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Early Model 1903 - Caliber Conversion

Post by martin08 »

For most who take for granted that a Springfield M1903 should be loaded with .30-'06 caliber ammunition, it isn't often that one would find a cause for pause...

...granted, the .30-'06 is just a tad shorter than the .30-'03 and would chamber without difficulty. But the bore is shot to near smooth, it's a low number receiver...

... I won't be shooting it. The serial places the receiver as an early 1906, barrel is marked "SA 05 A", the single crossbolt stock has high wood along the receiver with some legible and some worn cartouches. The early handguard has no top relief groove. Rear sight has the small knobs. Straight handled bolt has the small "s" on the bottom of the safety lug.

This is one that would have had its barrel shortened and rethreaded at the receiver end, and then rechambered to accept our favorite and familiar ammo. It's not an early rod bayonet stock, but the crossbolt was also likely added during the 1906-1909 upgrade period.

From what I can tell, it is correct as can be. The oiler in the butt trap, and the 1906 dated Springfield M1905 bayonet with M1910 scabbard were solid bonuses.

Please excuse the pics in low light, but I just had to get this one up. As always folks, thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
racerguy00

Re: Early Model 1903 - Caliber Conversion

Post by racerguy00 »

Please dont say Yard Sale....

That is an awesome rifle. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Wow :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :BBQ:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

No yard sale this time. A year's worth of negotiation at a local shop - and still BIG bucks. Unmolested early M1903's just don't come around often.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I cant recall the seeing one like for sale before. Even online.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very good find, only a year to talk them out of it? They must not have wanted it much. I have a 1905 SA receiver that the arsenal rebuilt into a rifle in 1942, then it was heavily used to the point that you can see the bore wear. So much for the "dangerous, likely to blow apart low number receivers" Uncle Sam trusted them enough to reissue them for the second war. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

racerguy00 wrote:I cant recall the seeing one like for sale before. Even online.
These are time capsule rarities. They usually trade in the small collector's circles.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That is so cool, nice score. :vcool: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

US M1903's from before WW2 are rarely encountered in original form in any condition. Uncle enthusiastically rebuilt his rifles as soon as wear started to show, somehow this one slipped through the cracks. I only have two as first issued M1903's after 35 years of collecting them, both bought from the same WW1 vet. 1913 RIA, and 1910 SA. Finding any original .30-03's is 50 times as hard, these are very rare in any condition at all. There aren't many rifles that if I had found out about it sitting in a shop I might do something :twisted: rude, and underhanded :twisted: like sneak over there and make the seller an offer they couldn't pass up, pure dirty pool :twisted: . It's been a long time since I collected heavily in the world of M1903's, I am much better now :twisted: This is why when we spot something we want we remain quiet about it, we don't link it's auction to the board, or drop hints about the shop it's in, why provide temptation for someone to be bad :twisted: :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Damn that is a beautiful rifle. Very nice addition to your collection. I'm jealous of this one. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:US M1903's from before WW2 are rarely encountered in original form in any condition. Uncle enthusiastically rebuilt his rifles as soon as wear started to show, somehow this one slipped through the cracks. I only have two as first issued M1903's after 35 years of collecting them, both bought from the same WW1 vet. 1913 RIA, and 1910 SA. Finding any original .30-03's is 50 times as hard, these are very rare in any condition at all. There aren't many rifles that if I had found out about it sitting in a shop I might do something :twisted: rude, and underhanded :twisted: like sneak over there and make the seller an offer they couldn't pass up, pure dirty pool :twisted: . It's been a long time since I collected heavily in the world of M1903's, I am much better now :twisted: This is why when we spot something we want we remain quiet about it, we don't link it's auction to the board, or drop hints about the shop it's in, why provide temptation for someone to be bad :twisted: :twisted:

Kept my mouth shut. Looks like I did the right thing! :D
finloq

Post by finloq »

Persistence paid off.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Have you no shame? I fully expected for you to say it was owned by a little old lady that only shot it on her birthday.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well I don't know about a little old lady, but I do see kidd gloves in this nice rifles's future. :P
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

You must have formidable negotiating skills. Congratulations! :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Outstanding Find!!! :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Lucky! Last one I saw with a serial number near that was in the shop; had a Pedersen Device cut, but was sporterized! :angry4: I cleaned and inspected it as per the work order, did not test fire it as usual, noted that on the tag, and propmtly wrote "It is DANGEROUS to fire this rifle with any ammo, surplus commercial, or reloaded!" after that. It fell in the 'low serial number" range, and the owner lived north of Hwy 8, (as in 'paddle faster, I hear banjos!' ) but probably deer hunted with it anyway. :roll:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien