1942 Tula was in a fire

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tula1942

Re: 1942 Tula was in a fire

Post by Tula1942 »

I bought this from a yard sale. The man said it was in a house that caught fire and then store in a barn for some years without being cleaned. He wanted $80, said the gun shop guy told him they sell for a buck-twenty. I only had $47 in my pocket and the deal was done. He had no other details.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Mount it on a board, put it in your man cave and make up a good story.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tula1942

Post by Tula1942 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I would leave that just as it is, mount it on a nice board, put it up on the wall and tell everybody it's a genuine Stalingrad relic. It's hard to tell from the pic how much of that stock is charred, and how much is just beat up, this could be one of the earlier Romanian imports, they can have some rough wood on them. How much actual charred wood did you scrape off?
Sounds like a great plan. I haven't done anything to the stock. I cleaned the bore a little, the bolt was hideously dirty and I cleaned the rust off of the butt plate. Other than that, it is just as I got it.

Tula1942
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Being a '42 Tula it could have been used at Stalingrad, looks like this may have been one of the 1990's imports from Romania, the wood is fire damaged, but that bluing looks worn to silver, typical of the Romanian rifles. These were sent to them as Soviet aid during the cold war, mostly sent from other commie country's who outgrew them, so they were likely used looking even before the Romanians got them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

Tula1942 wrote:Thank you everyone. I think I'll just hang it on the wall and look for another one to shoot. I really like this forum. Thanks for letting me join, the help and the advice.

Respectfully,

Tula1942
If you are in the Johnson city area of ny gander has a 91/30 Finn capture, they don't know what it is so its listed for 180.00, i would buy it but i am not allowed to as per the wife
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wife tells you what to do? Wow! Nobody's told me what to do with my money in a very, very , long time, but then I am not married :) Grab that Finn, it's easier to beg forgiveness later than ask permission now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula1942

Post by Tula1942 »

Remiel wrote:
Tula1942 wrote:Thank you everyone. I think I'll just hang it on the wall and look for another one to shoot. I really like this forum. Thanks for letting me join, the help and the advice.

Respectfully,

Tula1942
If you are in the Johnson city area of ny gander has a 91/30 Finn capture, they don't know what it is so its listed for 180.00, i would buy it but i am not allowed to as per the wife
Hi Remiel, thanks for the heads up. I'm live in SC and there are there are no plans to be in that area any time soon. Thanks though.

Tula1942
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Wife tells you what to do? Wow! Nobody's told me what to do with my money in a very, very , long time, but then I am not married :) Grab that Finn, it's easier to beg forgiveness later than ask permission now.
Amen to that
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Wife tells you what to do? Wow! Nobody's told me what to do with my money in a very, very , long time, but then I am not married :) Grab that Finn, it's easier to beg forgiveness later than ask permission now.
I won't get in to the wife thing but what makes yo think it is a Finn capture. It would be very, very rare for a Finn capture to be in with a batch of refurbished rifles that Gander usually has.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!