My Rem 870 HD Shot gun.

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Enemy_at_the_gates

My Rem 870 HD Shot gun.

Post by Enemy_at_the_gates »

My HD Shot Gun built around a 1979 Remington Wingmaster 870 receiver.
I can change it out as a 50cal Sabot gun in a matter of minutes, it has 3 different barrels, Sabot / Shot / Slug. (12gage).
The recoil is managed with the use of 3 recoil devices, 1 in the stock (Recoil spring) , 1 on the stock (Limb saver recoil pad) and 1 in the rear pistol grip (Recoil spring) has about the same recoil as a .223 AR15.
Has on board laser / flash light / strobe. 7+1 shell cap.
6 way adjustable stock. Forward pistol grip.
Can be used with or without scope, scope is used for rifled slug & Sabot shooting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The 2nd Amendment is Non-negotiable !
entropy

Re: My Rem 870 HD Shot gun.

Post by entropy »

Nice. 8-) If you get a rifled cantilever mount barrel, you can change your HD shotty into a slug gun in seconds. I too have three barrels for my 870 Tactical;
1.) 28" RemChoke barrel for bird hunting/trap. (It's fun to bring my pistol-gripped 870 onto the line where most guys have $2000 Citoris, and shoot a 23 to their 20 or 21.)
2.) 20" Cyl. barrel that came on it. I don't like the big-a$$ bead, but they're pressed in, and a PITA to replace with something else, which would be a Spark II if I did.
3.) 20" Hastings rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount. No messing with removing/replacing side or over the reciever mounts. I fire 5 sabot slugs each fall to be sure zero hasn't changed; it hasn't in over 20 years. Still puts all five in a pumpkin at 100 yds. Even in my brother-in-laws hands! :lol:

I like the stock; Is that a Knoxx recoil reducing one? I have a SpeedFeed III on mine; gave the SpeedFeed IV that came on it to my son; I like the ammo storage in the stock, holds 5; 4 2/34", and 1 Mini-shell. I never liked sidesaddles or slings with loops, they are awkward, IMHO.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's a hell of a way to make pumpkin pie
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh man, one minute I am looking at a cool shotgun and the next I am craving pumpkin pie
Brake Weight

My Rem 870 HD Shot gun.

Post by Brake Weight »

What is that light? And do you like it? I've been considering getting one for my HD 870. I had to dispatch a cotton mouth as big around as my wrist a few weeks ago at 10pm with my XD.45 because I have a light on the tactical rail. I didn't mind it, but using 10 rounds as it was moving about didn't make me happy. I was thinking that if I only had a light on the shotty it'd been cheaper.

I, too, have the original Wingmaster bbl, a Remi slug bbl with cantilever rail, and my latest addition 18.5" threaded.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Enemy_at_the_gates

Post by Enemy_at_the_gates »

I'll try to answer some of the questions generated from my post.

1st) The stock is indeed a Knoxx 6 way with integrated Limb saver recoil pad.
2nd) The light system is a neebo 3 way, Flash light / strobe / laser combo with the coiled trigger that allows me to select which type of beam I need at the time, I like the light very much and I normally keep it in (Flash light) mode, the strobe is blinding and would really mess up the bad guys eyesight for a while.
3rd) The Scope is a Weaver style mounted BSA.

It holds 7+1 shells (2 3/4") or 6 +1 (3").

The scope comes in handy at night with the lighted reticle cross hairs (green or red, 3 brightness settings) the scope works great when shooting slugs or Sabot rounds up to 150 yards and I can still use the iron sights with the scope attached.
The 2nd Amendment is Non-negotiable !
entropy

Post by entropy »

The Nebo lights are nice. My kid borrowed, then lost mine. :very mad: I have a small Picatinny rail that mounts via a ring under the mag cap, I have a generic rail light for it.

I'd love to get an 18.5" RemChoke barrel, brake weight, 'twould make the 870 handier for turkeys, as well as buckshot. :wink:

mmm......pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving is coming up soon! :D
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
A J

Post by A J »

Nice shotgun. I'm into simpler shotgun setups minus all the fancy add-ons, but I appreciate what you've done. Your 870 would kick a lot less than mine, that's for sure and you have the added benefit of sights and lights. The weakness of my shotguns is that I am less efficient in bringing down a raccoon in the middle of the night than your rig. Yeah, mine's light and simple, but light and simple doesn't always allow me to see the feral pig hiding in the brush pile at 50 yards in the dark. Well done, Sir.

I have a 12 gauge remington 870 with a pistol grip and an 18.5" barrel under the bed. It has the normal 4-shot magazine. I think I have #4 buck shot in it right now. My wife has her own 12 gauge 870 under her side of the bed. It's got a folding stock and spring-loaded recoil thingy in it. She keeps it loaded with #6 bird shot. Even though she's got this great cannon under the bed, she's a "revolver girl" and would likely grab a revolver long before she touched a shotgun.

I keep another 12G 870 in the basement. It's got a 26" barrel. In the barn I have a 20 G 870 again with a 26" barrel. I've probably shot more varmits with my 20 gauge than anything else. It's light and maneuverable. As for the longer barrels, they actually fit me pretty well. Even in a HD situation, given the choice of 2 weapons, I'd probably reach for a 26" or 28" barrel over an 18. I realize the longer ones are less efficient in close quarters but I'm just more used them. Nothing wrong with an 18" on a pistol grip though. I actually had a "blast" at the range last month with my new pistol grip 870. I found it to be very fun to shoot and almost as accurate as a stock.

Recently I purchased my first Mossberg 500 (used from a guy on Craigslist) and am very happy with it. Not sure which I like better (870 or 500). I figure I need to buy a few more 500's to figure this one out! :shifty: