1916 Ishapore Lee Enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1916 Ishapore Lee Enfield

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That looks like pitting to me, but the part is in front of you, not me, there is only so much I can tell from a picture. When there is any question of safety then hang the rifle up as a wallhanger and do not shoot it. Magnafluxing will tell you for sure if the part is cracked, a machine shop should be able to do this for you, I would recommend it in this case.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

That is one great looking 1916 RFI MkIII! I agree about swapping the bolt if your gonna shoot, be sure there are no "cracks" like that in the action as well, if there are, I would put everything back and just display her.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A lot of these older Enfields have chamber issues. This was due to the cordite powder that was being used at that time.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I wonder if they make the bolts on Khyber Pass made firearms of if they reuse old bolts? I could believe them having cracks easier than a British built bolt.
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

I've been doing further research, and on these rifles the two helical locking lugs need to be honed to match the recesses in the receiver individually. Likely that the mismatched 'original' bolt didn't have this done, and could have contributed to what appear to be cracks or stress lines that have pitted. I found a few that have given way in that area, though not catastrophically. Regardless, I don't think its worth much more of my time to have the receiver checked and the new bolt correctly matched, so I think its best served as a wall hanger. I'll have to continue the search for a nice Lee Enfield shooter, which isn't a bad thing :thumbsup:
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian