M52 Hungarian arrived!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarksmanTim

M52 Hungarian arrived!

Post by MarksmanTim »

As some of you know I posted in the sniper forum about the rifle I won on Gunbroker. It came in and I took some of my own photos. I figured some of you might want to see it that don't normally get over to the sniper forum. If the mods want to move this post, so be it. :vcool:

The rifle is a 1954 Hungarian Model 52. It is mirrored off of the Russian M91/30 PU sniper, with the main difference being that all of the parts were made by the Hungarians and are marked with an "02". Also, Hungarian snipers have only been found with the serial prefix of "BC". The stock is of Beech wood and is also marked with an "02" and a "B" for Budapest. This rifle would have originally had a Hungarian made scope mount and scope, but mine was replaced with a authentic Russian version at some point in it's life. My scope was made by the Progress factory. I am unsure of the year of manufacture, but I'm guessing somewhere in 1944-1945? It is said that these rifles entered the US in one of two ways: as a Vietnam bring back or "traveled" down from Canada. I guess some were imported into Canada at some point, and Canada does not have import markings like the US. I'm not sure of the estimated number of rifles in the US, but the Hungarian M52 is thought to be the rarest of the PU sniper variants.

This rifle was definitely used and has dirt and sand inside it. The bore looks bright with good rifling, but I still need to do a thorough cleaning of the bore. I already cleaned the chamber area and boy was there some dirt and crap in there! I need to learn how to properly set the scope up and then readjust the recticle as right now who ever messed with it last has adjusted it upward to get on target. The bolt was pretty dirty as well. The green stuff actually looks like lacquer paint from shell casings? Did any countries make a round with green paint/lacquer that would chip or flake off? Besides being dirty, this rifle has BY FAR the smoothest action on a Mosin I have ever worked. It rivals my K98 Mauser. The trigger is good, very smooth but still with some weight to it. I only have maybe 1-2 triggers that are nicer and they are on Finn rifles.

I am excited to get this scope set up and dialed in and see what she can do. Hopefully I can shoot it tomorrow. Happy Labor Day everyone! :BBQ2:
full.jpg
A little built up dirt.
barrel channel.jpg
More sand.
more dirt.jpg
Some grease.
grease.jpg
Dirt and grass under the butt plate.
butt plate.jpg
band.jpg
Dirt and grease? from the chamber area.
chamber dirt.jpg
Nasty bolt head.
bolt face.jpg
Matching bolt.
bolt.jpg
Markings.
bolt markings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
MarksmanTim

Re: M52 Hungarian arrived!

Post by MarksmanTim »

I'll get more shots of the whole rifle when I take it out shooting. Here are some scope shots. Also notice the "damaged" bluing along the top of the receiver on the scope side. Not sure what caused that?

More pictures:
scope side.jpg
scope mount.jpg
scope markings.jpg
base.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

Very nice! Let us know how she shoots!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

neorebel wrote:Very nice! Let us know how she shoots!
+1 :pointup:

Yes indeed very, very nice a real jaw dropper. Outside of this one can't recall seeing one on the market in years.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Thank you both. I feel lucky to have found it and won the auction without much competition. Today I will get the scope mounted up and try to sight it in. I will report later!
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:BBQ2:
Kollaa kestää
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Very nice!! Ratnik can get you dialed in with the year of your scope, but I believe '45s were dated. 1940 through some point in '43 were dated on Progress scope. I know some '43s, and '44s were not.

The trigger system is different on these Hungarian models isn't it?
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Knuckledragger wrote:Very nice!! Ratnik can get you dialed in with the year of your scope, but I believe '45s were dated. 1940 through some point in '43 were dated on Progress scope. I know some '43s, and '44s were not.

The trigger system is different on these Hungarian models isn't it?
Not that I could tell. Seems to be the same. It does have a nice pull!

I took it out on the range... a bit disappointed actually. It makes sense though... the cleaning rod is bent somewhere around the middle. My guess is whoever this was issued to cleaned it vigorously with the bent rod and ruined some of the rifling towards the muzzle. I havent checked anything to confirm yet though. Maybe some .312 dia hand loads will tighten up the groups.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Congrats!
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

What a beauty! Always wanted a Hungarian or Polish rifle dated 1952 (my birth year). Great find.
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

So I finally found some .311 diameter bullets to hand load and try in this rifle. What an improvement! I first used the iron sights to see what kind of grouping I could get, then moved to the scope to get it sighted in. That part turned out to be easy now that I can get it to group! The recticle is a little higher in the field of view than I'd like, but I can play with that later. (I will want to shoot it long range so I'll probably run out of adjustment)

The grouping isn't anything to write home about, but compared to how it was shooting, this is excellent! I also took out one of my M44's the other afternoon and we shot into the dusk hours. I had my friend take a video at the end of the session of me shooting surplus out of it. This is a still photo from that video. I also had the opportunity last weekend to finally get my stock of reloads back up to a comfortable amount. I do need more though, since I use a bunch of different bullet sizes including between .308 diameter, .310, and .311. doesn't leave much for quantity of each.
0927141220.jpg
0924141012.jpg
0921141552.jpg
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Very nice group Tim :thumbsup: The M44 fireballs are always fun to see. :vcool: :vcool:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice shootin on that group :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

happy to hear that the rifle is grouping well for you! Which .311 bullets are you using? I'm just starting to reload for my Mosins and haven't settled on a particular bullet yet. I've got some Sierra Gameking 150gr spitzer's that I'm gonna give a try.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I just realized that I never posted on this fine rifle. This is a fine rifle!
B24

Post by B24 »

Gotta love those fireballs! Nice rifle.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Lotema wrote:happy to hear that the rifle is grouping well for you! Which .311 bullets are you using? I'm just starting to reload for my Mosins and haven't settled on a particular bullet yet. I've got some Sierra Gameking 150gr spitzer's that I'm gonna give a try.
I also got a box of the Game Kings you described. I loaded 20 of them and tried them in the M52 and there was improvement over my other loads in this rifle, but the 174 gr Sierra Match King .311's were more accurate hands down. I mic'd the Game Kings and most were sub .311 diameter where as the Match Kings were all .311.

I wanted the Game Kings as they have a flat base, and sometimes that helps with accuracy out of a bore with a bad crown.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated