Shot out C96 barrels

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
berkmberk1

Shot out C96 barrels

Post by berkmberk1 »

Any thoughts to why it seems like so many C96s have shot out barrels? I find it curious because military side arms are not typically actually used that much (compared with battle rifles, machine guns, etc.). Even police organizations don't usually expend so much ammunition as to wear out a barrel. I can understand the external finish on a 100 year old firearm can take a severe beating if not properly cared for, and the internals, including the bore, can suffer from the corrosive effects of the old types of ammunition, but I have seen some C96 barrels that look like mini-shotgun tubes!!

What do you suppose would be the round count necessary to totally wear out a Mauser barrel? Is there something to be said about metallurgy or the design? They are cool guns, and have the "come hither and shoot me" look! Do you suppose folks just liked shooting the heck out them?
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Bugelson

Re: Shot out C96 barrels

Post by Bugelson »

You said it. Corrosive ammo, poor cleaning and field conditions. There is no more in it really. I doubt many C96s saw that many rounds through. But one shot plus neglect and you will get the shotgun bore in the end.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The C96 was the first successful commercial auto loading pistol marketed, based on the fact that most have really shot out barrels, I would say they were probably fired many, many times.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

The C96 is one of the coolest hand guns ever. As my wife has said "they are so ugly they are beautiful" mine is a 1932 build that was redone Brickley Trading out in California back in the 1990's. Mine was rebarreled by cutting the barrel off of the receiver and threading in a new one. So it isn't original but the work was very well done. One of the biggest problems with the Broom Handle was the receiver and barrel were one piece. Here's a picture of mine.
Burrhead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Just managed to win one for under mid-three figures. Here's a pic from the ad. I figured for the price it was worth a try.. The serial number indicates 1911-1915 from what I've been able to learn.

Per the ad - "Gun is German made. All markings are clear and legible.Metal surfaces retain a please (sic) aged patina. Grips are solid, but worn. Poor bore.Caliber is 7.63. Barrel is 5 1/2". Mismatched. There is some pitting on the exterior bottom of the barrel. Slot is intact. Replaced grip screw. Gun is complete.....serial #139xxx."
pix893370549.jpg
pix185495588.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

By the way, thats a nice piece you have there........the prettiest Ugly Gun I've seen in a while!
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Bugelson

Re: Vs: Shot out C96 barrels

Post by Bugelson »

Burrhead wrote: One of the biggest problems with the Broom Handle was the receiver and barrel were one piece. Here's a picture of mine.
Burrhead
And because of this and other technical solutions the C96 - while it is one of the most interesting handguns - it is and was one of the most expensive handguns ever made! Just imagine the hours put on that gun. Even if labor was dirt cheap back then. Not very efficient production...truly a world gone by- era gun.
Burrhead

Re: Vs: Shot out C96 barrels

Post by Burrhead »

Bugelson wrote:
Burrhead wrote: One of the biggest problems with the Broom Handle was the receiver and barrel were one piece. Here's a picture of mine.
Burrhead
And because of this and other technical solutions the C96 - while it is one of the most interesting handguns - it is and was one of the most expensive handguns ever made! Just imagine the hours put on that gun. Even if labor was dirt cheap back then. Not very efficient production...truly a world gone by- era gun.
Ya you are right about that, I can't imagine a guy field stripping it in the field and not having problems with some of the small parts that want to fall out of the action while you clean it. But it is sure fun to shoot it, I cast a 30 caliber bullet for mine and shoot some jacketed bullets too.
There's a guy on line called the Luger man that does restorations of these and other guns if your interested you can google to find him.