Has the supply of M38's dried up?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mojo1963

Has the supply of M38's dried up?

Post by mojo1963 »

I've been looking for weeks! Has the supply of M38's dried up? I've looked at countless online surplus sites (AIM, Impact, Buds, J&G, Classic Firearms, etc..... Nothing but M44's out there. Yes, there's an occasional M38 on Gunbroker and Gun auction sites but I prefer to buy from an online retailer if possible.

The M44's are okay I guess, I just don't need an attached bayonet for a shooter..... not to mention having to deal with sighting it in with the bayonet deployed and not..... Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I'd like to have a nice M38 for a shooter and bush rifle. The extra weight of the M44 bayonet and mount is a negative.

Anyone have any ideas or links for an M38?

Thanks!
Mojo....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Has the supply of M38's dried up?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Went dry years back now, there was a brief influx from Molot I think, but otherwise I only see individual ones selling here and there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Mojo, I totally agree. The extra weight, the deployed/not deployed bayo when shooting. Great reasons to get a M38 or 91/59. but, you just have to keep looking. Have you tried Simpsons?
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Do you go to the gun shows out in Puyallup? I've seen two of them there this year, neither showing up at the next show so I'm guessing they're selling pretty quick.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

I saw one locally for sale but it was a Molot. I passed. The guy was asking $350 as well..
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Best advice. Gunboards has a large for sale group, and if the price is right I personally would be fine with a Molot M38 if it was not refinished but not for 350.00.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

mojo1963 wrote:I've been looking for weeks! Has the supply of M38's dried up? I've looked at countless online surplus sites (AIM, Impact, Buds, J&G, Classic Firearms, etc..... Nothing but M44's out there. Yes, there's an occasional M38 on Gunbroker and Gun auction sites but I prefer to buy from an online retailer if possible.

The M44's are okay I guess, I just don't need an attached bayonet for a shooter..... not to mention having to deal with sighting it in with the bayonet deployed and not..... Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I'd like to have a nice M38 for a shooter and bush rifle. The extra weight of the M44 bayonet and mount is a negative.

Anyone have any ideas or links for an M38?

Thanks!
Mojo....
The supply went dry years ago I am afraid. The 91/59 is a great alternative but they are getting tough to find too. As commonly as everyone states they have to shoot them with the bayonet extended I disagree entirely and have never taken and extended one to shoot it accurately. With adjustment of the sight and the bayonet folded in place they shoot very well. None of the VC Type 53's that I ever saw had the bayonet still on there and I am dead sure they took a bunch of American lives shooting that way unfortunately. That way of set-up leaves just ounces of weight from the mount in place and you should never even notice that amount. It is much easier to find an M-44 with a great bore than an M-38 from my looking I would say. Bill :wink:
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I think that $350 for an M38 is salty indeed. I paid less than that for a 1944 Tula some weeks back.

M38s are increasingly difficult to find, but they are still available from time to time.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The one I posted above was a M91/59. I wouldn't pay $350 for a M38. Not even now.

I see them all the time out here in California for less then that. Maybe 2 or 3 per month on Calguns out here. You have to be watching and ready to buy one. But they are around.

Talk to Dennis at Empire Arms also. He takes requests.
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

Your really not going to find any in stock from an online retailer, but armslist has some, along with gunbroker, and are going for $225 to $300 for a refurb. There are about 25 of them online right now.
mojo1963

Post by mojo1963 »

Thanks for all the replies.... They have been very useful..... you guys are the best.

Mojo....
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I just finished my M38's (1939-1945, Sadly no Tula's yet) a few months ago. A few cost me more than I wanted to pay but overall I'm pleased. I have seen a few of these recent Russian offerings but I can't get past all those laser stampings.

Gunboards is a good call out for their trader, but as of late there is very little for sale there Mosin Carbine related. Of course if your in the market for an M38... Maybe Consider a near identical & better alternative in the M91/59. IIRC there is one here on the RMNF trader, and it is a mighty fine one at that!
43 Izhevsk M91/59
A shameless plug on my part. I apologize. :facepalm2:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The most I ever paid for any M38 was $225 for the 1939, and at the time I thought that was a lot of money. If I had to pay todays prices I would have exactly one M38, and not the....well, never mind, lets just say I would have just the one, probably a basic 1943 with no special markings or stock.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The most I ever paid for any M38 was $225 for the 1939, and at the time I thought that was a lot of money. If I had to pay todays prices I would have exactly one M38, and not the....well, never mind, lets just say I would have just the one, probably a basic 1943 with no special markings or stock.

Just wait till you see what they get for 44 Tula hex reciever M38's now JYD. :big shock:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I just picked one up a few weeks ago in a laminate stock, not very well cared for but all there for $175. Just gotta keep looking.
Historyfan

Post by Historyfan »

When we were at Axis Arms the last week of July, Matt had two. Don't know if they are still there, but he is a Sponsor here, worth a call.
Dan

1930 Tula 91/30
1934 Ishevsk 91/30
1943 Ishevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper
1944 M44
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I'm in the market for a M44 or M91/59. Got my M38 earlier this year for something like $180.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

awalker1829 wrote:I'm in the market for a M44 or M91/59. Got my M38 earlier this year for something like $180.
There's a few M44s listed here. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The most I ever paid for any M38 was $225 for the 1939, and at the time I thought that was a lot of money. If I had to pay todays prices I would have exactly one M38, and not the....well, never mind, lets just say I would have just the one, probably a basic 1943 with no special markings or stock.

Just wait till you see what they get for 44 Tula hex reciever M38's now JYD. :big shock:
Theodore Roosevelt