Mossberg 395KB and a H&R Topper 88

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Synack

Mossberg 395KB and a H&R Topper 88

Post by Synack »

Recently picked up an H&R Topper 88 from a local shop. Don't think I posted any pictures of it here.

I was a bit worried about firing pin protrusion at first but I felt better after running a few rounds of 00 buckshot through it. (Well, mentally -- My shoulder not so much... :lol: )

Then just the other day I was helping out the father-in-law with a stereo situation in his garage. (I'm the family supplier of used computers and miscellaneous electronics.) Out of the blue he gave me a Mossberg 395KB. Only slightly used, probably hasn't been shot since the 80's and looks brand new.

Ironically, my own dad has the same exact model -- I thought it was quite the unicorn the first time I saw it.

Loditrapper

Re: Mossberg 395KB and a H&R Topper 88

Post by Loditrapper »

Hey Sy, TWO nice shotguns. I remember you were looking for shotguns, too. When it rains, it pours. I can't see the end of the barrel on the Mossberg 395, does it have a polychoke? Mossberg called them C-Lect-Choke, actually. A lot of them did. My grandpa had one, his was a 385 (20 gauge). Congrats on the great guns, bud. Now get yourself a big box of cheap shotgun shells and commence blasting things. Enjoy.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

My FIL had a similar Mossberg, although his had a darker oil finished stock. My BIL got his hooks into it and I can't tell you what happened to it. Unfortunately I am afraid it ended up in a pawn shop to buy cigarettes and carry out 'food'
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Synack

Post by Synack »

Loditrapper wrote:Hey Sy, TWO nice shotguns. I remember you were looking for shotguns, too. When it rains, it pours. I can't see the end of the barrel on the Mossberg 395, does it have a polychoke? Mossberg called them C-Lect-Choke, actually. A lot of them did. My grandpa had one, his was a 385 (20 gauge). Congrats on the great guns, bud. Now get yourself a big box of cheap shotgun shells and commence blasting things. Enjoy.
Yep, it has the C-Lect Choke on it: C-Lect Instructions

Already picked up some slugs -- Couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

How funny... I also have some of those too. the bolt is in 16ga & 20ga for me & the topper in 20ga.

Very Nice!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

Synack wrote: Yep, it has the C-Lect Choke on it: C-Lect Instructions
You are so cool, Sy. Finding directions for C-Lect-choke. I've had that Mossberg 500 for almost 30 years, always wanted to set it at cylinder choke for slugs, never knew how. No mark, and I was afraid to loosen choke too much. Blow it right off end of gun, y'know. So all these years, I set it at improved cylinder when shooting slugs (which don't hurt, you can even shoot slugs through a full choke). NOW, because I met Sy online, I know how the choke settings really work on my shotgun. One full turn past imp. cyl., no more, and I have a true cylinder bore. Thank you, man. Thank you.
Synack

Post by Synack »

I sort of over analyze everything. :wink:

That's why after buying one Mosin I ended up applying for a C&R and amassed an overkill collection.

This one site is pretty neat for these Mossbergs:

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/mossberg_s ... models.htm
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/mossberg_s ... ploded.htm
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow Synack you are right. The Mossberg looks like new. I have one of those too in 16 ga. with the C-lect choke. I have not even shot it. I got it several months ago from my late brother in law's collection. I like that Topper Too. Something about single shots and the noticeable kick they give back. :P
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice, I have the original topper, a century and counting and it's still rock solid. I picked up one of Mossbergs bolt 12 gauges, made in 1954 and apparently never used, interesting shotgun.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It isn't a Mossberg, but maybe Mossberg made it. I have an old bolt action JC Higgins bolt action 410, but rather than having a removable magazine it has a tube feed.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I read someplace that Mossberg did make the JC Higgins bolt shotguns.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt