6.5 carcano prvi partisan casings and Hornady bullets?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
dskid1234

6.5 carcano prvi partisan casings and Hornady bullets?

Post by dskid1234 »

I recently bought a carcano carbine, and have not been able to find any ammo aside from 139gr prvi partisan ammo. I know it is a .264 diameter round, but I was wondering if I could still somehow reload using the prvi casings with .268 Hornady bullets.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 6.5 carcano prvi partisan casings and Hornady bullets?

Post by bunkysdad »

Only if it was listed in a loading manual would I trust going up in size by 4 thousandths. If it is safe it should be listed.
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

bunkysdad wrote:Only if it was listed in a loading manual would I trust going up in size by 4 thousandths. If it is safe it should be listed.
They have a case expander, so I think I could use that for the prvi casings.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

The Hornady reloading manual has load data for the Carcano with their .268 bullets. They have some specific steps when loading the .268 bullet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment though. You slugged your bore and it was .268? Not all of them are.

My situation with my Carcano M91 was strange. I slugged the bore twice and it came out at .268 both times. I had some Hornady ammo to try in it and after one firing had all kinds of pressure signs. I could barely get the damn bolt to open and back out. The Prvi stuff shot fine with no pressure problems. The accuracy wasn't anything special though.
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

TulaTom wrote:The Hornady reloading manual has load data for the Carcano with their .268 bullets. They have some specific steps when loading the .268 bullet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment though. You slugged your bore and it was .268? Not all of them are.

My situation with my Carcano M91 was strange. I slugged the bore twice and it came out at .268 both times. I had some Hornady ammo to try in it and after one firing had all kinds of pressure signs. I could barely get the damn bolt to open and back out. The Prvi stuff shot fine with no pressure problems. The accuracy wasn't anything special though.
I didn't slug my bore, but I heard the specific carcano I have(91/28 ts)works better with .268 rounds rather than .264. I guess I'll have to buy the hornady manual and check it out.
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

TulaTom wrote:The Hornady reloading manual has load data for the Carcano with their .268 bullets. They have some specific steps when loading the .268 bullet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment though. You slugged your bore and it was .268? Not all of them are.

Even though the hornady loading manual has data for the carcano with .268 rounds, it probably doesn't say if you can use .264 casings with,268 bullets. I would use .268 casings if I had them available to me, but I only have 139gr prvi ammo available. I looked up .268 6.5 casings for sale and one website had prvi casings that they said were .268, but I didn't think prvi made them in that diameter?
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

To answer your question, I'm not really sure on the case thing. I would think the PPU cases would work though. I'd be more concerned about slugging my bore first if I was you. I wouldn't just assume it, because somebody else found their 91/28ts to slug out at .268. It doesn't take long to slug a bore.

You'll find some useful information at the following links...
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 22&t=56338

There also is a guy named NebrHogger on the Yesterday Weapons Forum that probably could answer your questions. He seems to know Italian firearms. I believe he reloads for his as well.
http://yesterdaysweapons.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

TulaTom wrote:To answer your question, I'm not really sure on the case thing. I would think the PPU cases would work though. I'd be more concerned about slugging my bore first if I was you. I wouldn't just assume it, because somebody else found their 91/28ts to slug out at .268. It doesn't take long to slug a bore.

You'll find some useful information at the following links...
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 22&t=56338

There also is a guy named NebrHogger on the Yesterday Weapons Forum that probably could answer your questions. He seems to know Italian firearms. I believe he reloads for his as well.
http://yesterdaysweapons.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25
When I click on the first link it says I have been permanently banned, even though I have never been on the site before. I'll make an account on the second site and pm the guy.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

No idea why that happened?? I'm not a member at that forum and have no trouble accessing that page?
dskid1234

Post by dskid1234 »

TulaTom wrote:No idea why that happened?? I'm not a member at that forum and have no trouble accessing that page?
I'm not really sure what happened, but its not a big deal.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dskid1234 wrote:
TulaTom wrote:No idea why that happened?? I'm not a member at that forum and have no trouble accessing that page?
I'm not really sure what happened, but its not a big deal.
You probably have the same IP as someone that was banned at some time. If you're on a dynamic IP as in one that changes every time you either restart your modem or sign into your ISP your IP will change and you should be able to see that forum once it changes the next time but if your on a static IP as in it's aways the same that's a different situation. That is if this is the way they're determining you're banned. I just sent you a PM with copy of the first post and all the info. the thread was started with.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi
I have been loading some exmil ammo in my Carcano and it works and fits a treat. I strip the projectiles from there cheap cases, toss the powder and scrap ( for scrap value) the brass and then load projectile in a Prvi case. I use powder weight as per the ADI load book. The powder is 2213sc.

No hassles and that ammo pulled projectiles are a lot cheaper then the near $70 a box for the Hornady projectiles.

Paul
Your not drunk if you can hang on ther floor without falling off
Mosin Rifle Mosin Carbine
Carcano Rifle Carcano Carbine
Sporterised (totally) FN 30/06
Parker Hale 303B
Winnie 92 32/20
Martini Cadets .310 and 32/20
CZ 452 and BSA International .22
as well as Sumatra, Weirach, Diana, Umarex, Tech Force, Webley air rifles.