Finnish M27 yard sale find!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ARLawrence

Finnish M27 yard sale find!

Post by ARLawrence »

The mrs and I go yard saleing on Saturday mornings.. Usually never find anything. Well found this rifle marked for $125, I picked it up and before I even said anything he asked if I'd give $100 for it. He said he researched it and had a printed wiki article (he pointed to a picture of the M91, he said you could tell by the length)

Well... I never owned a mosin before. So here's what I found from the internet.

I'm pretty sure it's a Finnish M27 civil guard, Tikkakoski barrel initially issued to the Kokkola district? If I'm wrong please correct me, and let me know what I have as a lot of this info all blends together

I'd be interested in firing it but it was my understanding that it's 7.62 x 53r???
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finnish M27 yard sale find!

Post by millman »

:Drool1: Thief.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The guy did "research" and still came to the conclusion that this was "just" another M91? How drunk was he at the time? Very good find, and a 1999 price. Welcome to the board.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ARLawrence

Post by ARLawrence »

Yeah, he wasn't very smart! I know I got a good deal!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

[/quote]I'm pretty sure it's a Finnish M27 civil guard, Tikkakoski barrel initially issued to the Kokkola district? If I'm wrong please correct me, and let me know what I have as a lot of this info all blends together

I'd be interested in firing it but it was my understanding that it's 7.62 x 53r???[/quote]

You have an m28, not an m27. That rifle is easily worth 3 to 4 times what you paid for it by today's Gun Broker prices. It was your lucky day for sure. Great score! :Drool1: BTW it is 7.62x54r cal.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
h bone

Post by h bone »

That rifle is an m28. You got one heck of a deal, probably in todays market at least a $400 gun.
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Garage Sales are good!!! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great find I never find anything like that!
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

wow.... all i can say man.. you SCORED
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Great pick up! That's a very late serial number to boot.
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

Like others have said before, it's a Finnish m/28, not an m/27. It is chambered in 7.62x53r (which is pretty close to 7.62x54r); often 7.62x53r rifles can fire 7.62x54r just fine, but this one may not be able to without pressure issues. It doesn't have the D marking indicating the throat was lengthened and the bore groove diameter of an m/28 is .308, not .311+ like for a 7.62x54r rifle. This rifle not being D marked actually adds a slight bit of value to it even though it makes it less of a shooter (because it is closer to how it originally was made). However, if you were to load up some cartridges with approximately 150 grain .308 projectiles for it, it would likely shoot extremely well with no issues.

Does the buttplate have a 66 stamped on the back of it? Factory stocks/buttplates were matched to the rifles in this manner for m/28's.

This looks like a pretty nice rifle! Welcome to the world of Finnish Mosins!
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I need to start attending yard sales. Sheesh you guys. Nice find at a fabulous price! Congrats! :thumbsup:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Tikka M28 for $100! Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and you met him! I love people who proudly know what they have and open their mouth and prove how dumb they are and place a lower value on something. You are probably lucky he didn't want to go to a dealer for a transfer. I met one like that and passed off a friends C&R license that had expired and I gave the copy to him so he could prove he was legal in case anyone asked. I would bet if he is still alive he probably still has that thing! Funny thing in a weird way is the buddy has passed on now too.

Looks like a later rifle with the crossed out S #'s for the former Civil Guard location where it first served. Wonder if by that time they just didn't stamp the D on there anymore? Well you know one thing when you go to sell that one at the current prices you will make at least 4 times what you paid for it. Even if you never buy one go get a Lottery ticket! Good Luck and Congratulations! Bill ;mywink;
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

You should of looked at him and shook your head when he went to $100,and said..i don't know,i heard these damn old things blow up a lot... I could go $80.
If he's going to be a dumb ass,play his game.
Great Find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Do you own a "Lone Ranger" type of mask?
Because if you don't you stole it at an unbelievable price. :big shock:
Damn, what a find and the $$$ is :devil2:
I guess I might have to start going to yard sales :angry4:
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

You struck gold.
:bravo: :bravo:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Awesome find.

I need to start looking through other people yard sale junk in the hopes of finding a gem like this.
Kollaa kestää
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. Nice first Mosin Nagant. Wish I had such "well" educated yard sale sellers around here. He knew what that rifle was because the interwebs showed him. To bad he had no idea what he was looking at.
ARLawrence

Post by ARLawrence »

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with it! I just want to shoot it!!! Gonna see if I can get my hands on some 53r ammo. Would rather play it safe then damage the rifle, or me