Finally getting a M1 Garand.

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
A J

Re: Finally getting a M1 Garand.

Post by A J »

I have 5 Garands. Not sure why I need 5, but they just followed me home I guess. They're great rifles.

Surprisingly, my wife was the one bugging me to buy more after my first one. She LOVES the beat up used stocks as opposed to the nice new one on my first Garand. Most collectors would agree with her. Your mismatched wood is character pure and simple. Clean it, shoot it and love all over it, but don't change a thing. I think it's perfect just the way it is.
musketjon

Re: Finally getting a M1 Garand.

Post by musketjon »

Stock looks to be a beech or birchwood replacement. Upper hand guards appear to be walnut. Mid '60's Springfield barrels were some of the best they ever produced and are highly sought after by competitive shooters. M1's were originally parkerized as is yours--it's just well-worn. Should be a good shooter if it has tight lock up and the bore hasn't been ruined by boots and over-zealous cleaning. M1's are definitely addictive and FUN!!!!. I currently own 4 and have had about 10 total in my shooting career.
Jon