What should my next rifle be?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mosin-Marauder

What should my next rifle be?

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

After much thought and consideration, I have narrowed down the list of rifles I might buy to a Yugo M59/66A1 (one of the excellent condition ones from Samco), a Ruger Mini-14 (one of the later model ones [582 serial number), and a Yugoslavian M24/47 (one of the special select quality ones with a straight bolt.) . Which, in your opinion, would be the better purchase? I'd like one that's accurate. I'd also like for it to be cheap to shoot. I plan to ask the folks at Samco if I can get one that's all matching if I order one. Not sure how that will play out. Anyway, thanks for your advice and opinions.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What should my next rifle be?

Post by bunkysdad »

I love the Ruger Mini-14 but probably for the cost of the Ruger you could get both the SKS and the Mauser. The Mauser will be the most expensive to shoot, but the bolt action shooting will be likely slower and each shot more deliberate, so it might not cost a lot more in the end. I have a 59-66A1 and a Russian SKS, and honestly I think I enjoy the Yugo better at the range. My first choice would likely be the SKS, then the Mauser, then the Mini 14 unless a great deal on the Ruger was staring me in the face.
soccerlfb6

Post by soccerlfb6 »

Sks is by far the cheapest to shoot, however my Yugo has had ejection problems...and from what I have researched a good bit of them do. Cleaning them well is suppose to fix the problem but it hasn't in mine. Just a heads up it seems to be the most common problem in the Yugo sks. Something to think about...My Yugo m24/47 is a fun little rifle but 8mm is like mid price ammo, it isn't too cheap but isn't crazy expensive either. Honestly have you thought about getting a chinese type 53 or one of the mosin carbines? Do you already own one? If not I would pick up a type 53...fun as hell to shoot and cheap as dirt...
1938 Tula Ex PEM Sniper 91/30
1938 Izhevsk (laminated stock) 91/30
1936 Tula 91/30
1940 Izhevsk 91/30
1947 Izhevsk M44
1945 Izhevsk M44 (no import mark all matching)
1927 Tula Nagant Revolver
1943 Federal Postal Meter M1 Carbine
1943 Springfield M1 Garand
Type 99 Series 23 Kokura (with MUM and all matching)
Type 99 Series 37 Kogyo (with MUM)
1956 Chinese Type 53 (all matching)
Yugo M24/47
1975 Yugo M59/66
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like my 24/47, I have shot it many times, my Yugo SKS has never been out of the box. I rarely buy commercial sporters.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I really don't think I want another Mosin. They're fun to shoot, but I'm not really impressed by the accuracy. It hits the targey, but it tends to be all over the target at 100 yards and beyond.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

If your going after an SKS... Get a Soviet example. :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

They're too few and far between, Im afraid. The only place I might be able to get one would be Gunbroker, but the amount of price gouging on there drives me away.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

*the only place I might be able to get them*
Stupid auto correct.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I believe I saw Cope's advertising a special on 24/47's just the other day.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

M24/47 would be my choice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:*the only place I might be able to get them*
Stupid auto correct.
I fixed it for you buddy. The auto correct has nearly got me in trouble a few times. :P