M24/47 Yugo Mauser from Samco

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mosin-Marauder

M24/47 Yugo Mauser from Samco

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I was looking at the Samco Site and saw they had straight-bolt M24/47's for $249.99 which seems like a pretty good price for "Special Select Condition" and providing I get the accessories. Has anyone ordered one of these from them? I don't yet have a Mauser in my collection and would like to have one, and figured this was a good start. I was just wondering if they were good quality rifles and if they were a good company to order one from. Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M24/47 Yugo Mauser from Samco

Post by bunkysdad »

I was just looking at that deal yesterday. It looks like a pretty good deal, and as clean as these rifles typically are I would expect a very nice rifle as described. I however have not bought from them. Look at their ammo too, if you are in a area where you can shoot full metal jacket bullets. Good luck, these are considered excellent shooters. My Yugo Mauser is a K98 Yugo, which is another nice option if you can find one, however these 24/47 rifles are probably the best bang for your money.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Slow sometimes, but they are OK. The 24/47 is a nice rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Hmm...that ammo does seem tempting. Would cleaning be the same as with a Mosin, since it's corrosive? I might just buy a rifle and 400 rounds of ammo for that price. Would be good plinking am until I start reloading. Are these generally pretty accurate rifles? I'd like at least 4" groups at 100 yards.
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

The ones I have fired have all been pretty damn accurate. Also, I've read that the Iranian surplus is incredibly dirty and tends to hangfire 2-3 of five rounds so if you do get it be careful. Romanian surplus exists but is about twice the price. I've shot a full crate of it without issues.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I love mine, both my M24/47 and the M48 shoot a bit high but very well. What your wanting to pattern should be no problem.
I have some SP ammo coming from a friend, I bet the 8mm SP will cut a deer about in half.
They do pack a punch, I'm thinking they're a little above the 30.06 or close anyway.
Price sounds real good too. I was looking at a couple left overs at the Charleston, WV. Cabelas priced between $260 to $300 and they've been there a good year or more looking pretty rough.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Jbob wrote:I love mine, both my M24/47 and the M48 shoot a bit high but very well. What your wanting to pattern should be no problem.
I have some SP ammo coming from a friend, I bet the 8mm SP will cut a deer about in half.
They do pack a punch, I'm thinking they're a little above the 30.06 or close anyway.
Price sounds real good too. I was looking at a couple left overs at the Charleston, WV. Cabelas priced between $260 to $300 and they've been there a good year or more looking pretty rough.
I use a VZ24 Czech Mauser to hunt with and Remington 8mm 170gr Core-Lokt and it drops them where you shoot them. This below is one I got a few years ago. The wound you see in the picture is the exit hole. I shot her a bit further forward between the shoulders but she moved a bit. She was also being pushed by another doe behind her as she came out of the woods onto the trail. Every deer I've shot with this rifle has dropped where I shot it. No thanks to me really I'm not that great of a shot, just patient. I just took my time and I almost always go for a spine shot. You can shot a deer in the heart, or leg and they'll keep running on adrenaline. My first deer was with a Marlin 336/35 Remington and I was shooting from a tree above them, as in directly above. My first deer and I was trying to for a heart shot but it's hard from the angle I was at. I was a little off and hit it's shoulder and the bullet traveled down the leg, almost removing it. That deer, being driven by the herd, ran another 1/4 to 1/2 mile on three legs before it dropped. After that I decided to try the spine shot. Might not be the best shot placement and you have to be careful or you'll mess up an inch or so of the tenderloin if you're off but it mechanically separates the brains signals to the rest of the body.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Daddy, daddy, that nasty bad ole' man killed Bambi. :cry1: :cry1:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

And put a hole thru the backstrap too :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Dang, your getting me all torn up with hunting pictures and here's it's July. I might have to call up the NDR and get me a couple of those crop damage permits. I do have 5 tomato plants in the flower bed they've been eyeing.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:And put a hole thru the backstrap too :shock: :lol:
So far the backstrap damage has been minimal. That one had maybe an inch on one side where the bullet went in but it traveled downward because I'm hunting in an elevated stand 10 feet up. I'll gladly take that as apposed to the alternative which is chasing them through the underbrush. I usually get them right where the neck meets the shoulder in front of the strap. On either side if the trail I hunt on is planted pine stands. Until this last year you couldn't hardly walk into it. The one to the west was clear cut about 8 years ago and they let it go wild. It's a mess of the junk gum trees they left and volunteer pines mixed with greenbrier. To the east is replanted pines that are about the same age but they haven't been thinned. My neighbors have lost deer in there and couldn't even track them with dogs. I ain't walking. Even if I ruin some backstrap I can get 6 deer per season so there's plenty. :wink:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Jbob wrote:Dang, your getting me all torn up with hunting pictures and here's it's July. I might have to call up the NDR and get me a couple of those crop damage permits. I do have 5 tomato plants in the flower bed they've been eyeing.
I have a few does that are hanging around here pretty regular right now. One in particular grazes within a few hundred feet all around the place here day and night. I walk up on her from around a building a lot. They're pretty calm right now because they're not being shot at. Come Oct. 1st that'll change. This is her in the field next to the barn and one in the field behind the barn. :Drool1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Yep, eattin all the hay and causin crop damage. That one's needs a killin. :BBQ2:
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Mosin-Marauder, if you can afford one of these be sure to get one at this good deal you won't be sorry. I've shot mausers a lot and these along with the M48's are nice rifles. I could tell when handling mine all that was learned over the years about Mausers were put into them. Little things like low sights, bolt closes on the last shot without holding the feed spring down and the action works so smooth. Just little things that add up to make a rifle better. Both my M48 and M24/47 look like new and have found their spot in the new section in the gun safe. I like them a lot !

When I mentioned my Yugo to a friend he said " didn't they make that piece of chit car back years ago " NO ! That junk was made in Italy...
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Not a bad price and I've bought a few things from them without a problem. They can be a little slow and not good about emailing a tracking number or anything like that. If it were me though, I'd jut use gunbroker. Looks like M24/47s are selling for slightly less there and you can take your time and pick out the one you want instead of getting a random one sent to you sight unseen.

You're kind of screwed when it comes to 8mm ammo now. There's not much surplus available. The samco stuff is Iranian and nobody has had much good to say about it, probably why they've had it in stock for years. You're best bet right now is the Romanian stuff which runs about .50/round. Or again you might be able to save a little on GB if you take your time although people on there seem to bid up the ammo up quite a bit.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

That is an option. If possible I'd like to have one numbers matching. My Mosin-Nagant and K-31 both have numbers matching. I think ammo-wise, I'll just start hand loading for it, either that or buy commercial stuff until I start hand loading for it. Thanks for the info.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Yeah if you go GB you can wait for one with a numbers matching stock. Samco, Wideners and J&G all have M24/47s and I think all of them have matching bolts but I'm seeing them on GB for as little as $200 and I really like it when the stock matches.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

There's still some 8mm surplus available but it's high now. The link goes to links to the vendors and the chart is a quick view of the top ten according to price. Widener's has some 90's M-75 Sniper grade stuff and some 80's M-49 regular ball. Strangely enough the M-49 is more than the M-75 and I have no idea why. They're both good ammo and the M-75 is way more desirable. The M-49 was going for about $175 a crate of 900rds about 4 or 5 years ago. They've had this stuff for quite a while now and it's mostly because of the price. Places that have the Romanian ammo is in the list too. This is all the surplus 8mm I can find but if you know a website that's selling some by all means submit it to gun-deals or you can let me know and I'll add it.

http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/8mm+Mauser

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds good Mike. I have had to chase a few deer (dear) in my lifetime and I don't like it either. I will be down for some backstrap on the Barbie here soon :BBQ: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)