The Range, the Rifle, the Results

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tjtM38

The Range, the Rifle, the Results

Post by tjtM38 »

Photos should speak for themselves. Had a great time sighting in this 1937 Izhevsk M91/30 with LVE (Novosibirsk) 148gr ammo. It shot this new ammo really well, but I can't shoot this stuff all the time at 50 cents a round. Good news is that it shoots just about like the 70's and 80's surplus; maybe just a little more accurate and clean burning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peadog

Re: The Range, the Rifle, the Results

Post by Peadog »

Great shooting!!!
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

You got a nice shooter there. I think you dispel the myth of Mosin inaccuracy. Great shooting!
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You done all right with that shooter, that target is dead! :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

Excellent shooting at 200yds !!! I can't see the target at 100. Well done..
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That is 1 dead target, good shooting!
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah you did do good. I wish I had a place like that to shoot. I have all this surplus ammo and no place to shoot it. My only local range is still closed after the owner died. The owners son was a mean piece of crap when his dad was alive. If it opens back up it might not be worth going to.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

bunkysdad wrote:Yeah you did do good. I wish I had a place like that to shoot. I have all this surplus ammo and no place to shoot it. My only local range is still closed after the owner died. The owners son was a mean piece of crap when his dad was alive. If it opens back up it might not be worth going to.
Russell, I thought you lived in TEXAS??? Doesn't everybody have a place to shoot in Texas? I envisioned huge gun clubs and public ranges with long range rifle shooting and stuff we've never dreamed of here. Guess I was wrong.

Yeah, I went overboard on the surplus when I first started collecting these rifles. Now I have too much, so I plan to do what I can to cut down on ammo inventory. In this post you can count ten rounds that I put on the steel, which were my only shots at that range. What I didn't show is the 35 rounds and two bore cleanings I spent before these shots at distances of 50, 75 and 100 yards on the paper. That helped me tweak this front sight and get the thing dead on for windage at those ranges (moving iron sights is a lot of trial and error repeated by same, but thanks Elby sight tools for the help). Luckily for me, the front post on this sight is just right, so it shot pretty much to exact point of aim at 200 yards with the sight set on 200 meters elevation.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

very good shooting indeed!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't competely understand the whole no fmj rule that most every range seems to adopt around here. Even at the big well known Dallas range, Elm Fork, they have rules for the rifle range that are rediculous. No fmj, and no iron sights! Elitist is what comes to my mind. I can shoot fmj at the indoor range if a magnet doesn't stick to the bullet? Good grief. All of the land is private, and posted.