1896 Finn Izhevsk M91....pic heavy

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

1896 Finn Izhevsk M91....pic heavy

Post by racerguy00 »

I made a trade, with a little cash thrown in,with a member of a collector's group on facebook for this antique m91. It looked good in the photos, even better when it showed up. I took a few pics outside before the rain chased me back in and I had to finish there.

I haven't had the rifle apart yet. It looks like a typical Finn rebuild/reblue, and aside from a few handling marks and dings its in great shape. The back half of the spliced stock is dated 1910 and shows a faint German WW1 capture stamp. Type one bands, double SA and two D stamps, Finn matched bolt. Bore looks good. No import marks at all. The sling is interesting. It looks to be a close match to a leather 91/30 sling. thoughts?

Enjoy the pics.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
djbuck1

Re: 1896 Finn Izhevsk M91....pic heavy

Post by djbuck1 »

Sorry, I have no answer, but it's a beautiful rifle! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

yep, sure is a beautiful rifle.
I see the mag used to have a sling swivel.
Kollaa kestää
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Very Nice!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice, congrats racerguy on the sweet new addition to the collection! :Drool1: 8-) :vcool: :thumbsup:
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Very nice. An antique m91 is on my list. Haven't found one locally yet. May need to bite the bullet and get one off Gun Broker.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Very nice. That would look real good next my '96 Tula!!
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

It looks just like the sling I got on my Finn 91/30 that I picked up this week.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Nice find. Any evidence of a wooden crossbolt. I like the beat up Russian m91 stocks.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Tambo79

Post by Tambo79 »

:thumbsup: Great looking rifle. I have no idea about the sling but it looks great on her. Great acquisition!
Looking for PU scope Б 52986 (Progress)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a couple of those slings. Can't remember where I got them and have no idea what rifle they were made for. They fit the Mosin carbines very well.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

No sign of a wooden crossbolt. The general consensus on rhe sling seems to be a leather 91/30 sling. It fits, and has been there a long time so it shall stay. :D
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice pickup, racerguy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Longcolt44 wrote:I have a couple of those slings. Can't remember where I got them and have no idea what rifle they were made for. They fit the Mosin carbines very well.
They were made for my 1916 Izhevsk Finned Dragoon, can you send me one Chuck, please, pretty please?
Racer, this is a sweet package here buddy.
yiping

Post by yiping »

Nice M91 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

That was a great pickup for sure! Nice to see guys pickup on the wear marks from a past sling swivel on the mag. I am afraid I can't add much on the sling other than it may not be Finn. It lacks their usual X stitching across the sewn end. They didn't always do that but for the most part did. I have a couple of slings that are very much like that on Finnish rifles. I have a couple like that with the oval brass buckles that are always attributed to the Finn's without the X stitching too. So it becomes a good guess I would say whether it is really a Finn used sling and proper or not. In those cases I just put them on there and don't worry too much.

There was years ago a guy on the west coast who sold many slings over the years and I bought so many slings from him but I forget his handle and he had a great variety of Finnish slings for great prices. I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in many years now. He did have connections in Finland and he got many nice old and well used slings which is what I prefer. I got the brass buckle Oval slings from him I know for a fact. I remember questioning them from him and he said they didn't always have the X stitching like I mentioned. So the end result I would say is who really knows? Very Nice Rifle! Congrats! Bill :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Is there not a small import mark near the muzzle?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Great rifle, right down to the sling :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)