Lowest Serial Number on 91/30 ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
FR0STY54R

Lowest Serial Number on 91/30 ?

Post by FR0STY54R »

Hey guys, just wondering, what is the lowest serial number you've ever seen on a 91/30 ? I know that in 1938 the Soviets switched to the Cyrillic prefixes, so I guess this will only be relevant for pre 1938 rifles.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Lotema

Re: Lowest Serial Number on 91/30 ?

Post by Lotema »

I've got a 1936 with number 653 I believe. Had a friend that had a 1000 on a 37. Could have sworn a 1 was posted around here sometime in the past year.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Single digits, but that means nothing on these rifles. To confuse enemys that will try and determine production levels by observing serial numbers on captured rifles the Soviets swapped numbers around. They might start the year at serial number 4578, and switch a month later to 6723, then start with 8 a month after that.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I 've seen serial number 1 on an early 30's date refurb. It had a receiver dated to the prior year. Lowest I've owned was #34 I think, also on a prior years receiver.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Single digits, but that means nothing on these rifles. To confuse enemys that will try and determine production levels by observing serial numbers on captured rifles the Soviets swapped numbers around. They might start the year at serial number 4578, and switch a month later to 6723, then start with 8 a month after that.
Really ? I was reading this page http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/soviet-m9130.asp and according to it, up until 1937, rifles started with serial number 1 each year. Am I missing something ? I am a noob admittedly, :lol:
Shoot like Voroshilov !
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

racerguy00 wrote:I 've seen serial number 1 on an early 30's date refurb. It had a receiver dated to the prior year. Lowest I've owned was #34 I think, also on a prior years receiver.
Nice ! :thumbsup:
Shoot like Voroshilov !
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

In my personal experience and from various posts, low serial numbered 91/30s (numbered under a few thousand) from before 1938 commonly have a receiver from the prior year. I always assumed that the receivers were dated before final assembly, and leftover ones were used at the beginning of the next year with low numbered barrels.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

racerguy00 wrote:In my personal experience and from various posts, low serial numbered 91/30s (numbered under a few thousand) from before 1938 commonly have a receiver from the prior year. I always assumed that the receivers were dated before final assembly, and leftover ones were used at the beginning of the next year with low numbered barrels.
I have a 1931 dated Izhevsk Ex dragoon with serial number 81. So does that mean the receiver was actually made in 1930 ? I have checked the tang and the date on it is 1931 as well. If that means anything.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
neal45

Post by neal45 »

The tang date is the actual receiver date. Maybe there weren't many or any leftovers that prior year.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

FR0STY54R wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Single digits, but that means nothing on these rifles. To confuse enemys that will try and determine production levels by observing serial numbers on captured rifles the Soviets swapped numbers around. They might start the year at serial number 4578, and switch a month later to 6723, then start with 8 a month after that.
Really ? I was reading this page http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/soviet-m9130.asp and according to it, up until 1937, rifles started with serial number 1 each year. Am I missing something ? I am a noob admittedly, :lol:
I have not seen the provenance for that boards information, however as the Soviets do not talk to anyone about their weapons production, especially not the west. We do know that they had ways of confusing serial numbers that go back to Czarist days, typical paranoia . Here in the us we started at serial number one and went from there, we made millions of rifles during the wars and we didn't care who knew it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have a serial number 17 on a refurb which is from a 30's year which escapes me right now because the book is out in the shop from some digging I did for someone last week. I have a 1918 refurb that has a higher number on it. Serials make little or no sense to me even though people continue to make surveys of serial numbers over and over. The Russians were and continue to be very evasive on the numbering systems with contradictory information here and there. Even the Finn's have tendencies to have contradictions to serial numbers being made in order and for the most part they tried to be very careful that way. Things and events that happened years ago are lost in time and simple numbers can rarely be used to sort their chronological order out I am afraid. Bill :wink:
MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

FR0STY54R wrote:Hey guys, just wondering, what is the lowest serial number you've ever seen on a 91/30 ? I know that in 1938 the Soviets switched to the Cyrillic prefixes, so I guess this will only be relevant for pre 1938 rifles.
The lowest I have is "81" on a 43 Tula barrel and a 42 Izhevsk recevier, it is also mark "CH" with brass upper handguard ends on a war-time stock.
Mark in MN
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
FR0STY54R wrote:
I have not seen the provenance for that boards information, however as the Soviets do not talk to anyone about their weapons production, especially not the west. We do know that they had ways of confusing serial numbers that go back to Czarist days, typical paranoia . Here in the us we started at serial number one and went from there, we made millions of rifles during the wars and we didn't care who knew it.

For what it's worth, apparently the text was by Karl-Heinz Wrobel. Perhaps taken from one of his books ?

Here is the full paragraph regarding serial numbers.

"Up to the year 1937 the serial numbering system of the Czarist era was continued, which means, rifles started with serial number one every year. There are no numbers with more than six digits. Tula used the German influenced, as my Russian friend told me, "No." in front of the numbers, Izhevsk did not.

Beginning 1938 the system of numbering changed. Serial numbers still began the year numbered from one, but now with a Cyrillic character as a prefix, followed by one to five numerals. After making 99.999 rifles the Soviets used two Cyrillic characters, followed by up to four numerals. There was no system in using the Cyrillic characters, which had the purpose to code the production data. The same way of numbering is found on the carbines M1938 and later M1944."
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

K-H was the one who posted that bit about the serial numbers being randomized back on the old board 6-7 years ago in response to a question like yours, he may have updated his information as his research is continuous. His information I would trust, I wish we still had access to the posts he made back then, he has some amazing Mosin's and related items.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I just he would still grace us with his presence every now and then.
mebailj

Post by mebailj »

I think I have the rifle referred to as number 1. It is a refurbed Tula in a pre-war refurbed stock. The date on the the barrel is 1931. It is marked OM1. There is the number 1 on bolt, floor plate , and buttplate. I have no idea what OM stands for. Probably was the first rifle for that organization, whatever it was. And like others say, it could have been produced in December of 1931 or whenever in that year for all I know.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I have this one, scrubbed probably Balkans.. Ser #7 sits in my safe as we speak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:K-H was the one who posted that bit about the serial numbers being randomized back on the old board 6-7 years ago in response to a question like yours, he may have updated his information as his research is continuous. His information I would trust, I wish we still had access to the posts he made back then, he has some amazing Mosin's and related items.

Ok, so the Karl Heinz article on the page I linked is obsolete information for sure ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot like Voroshilov !
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

FR0STY54R wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:K-H was the one who posted that bit about the serial numbers being randomized back on the old board 6-7 years ago in response to a question like yours, he may have updated his information as his research is continuous. His information I would trust, I wish we still had access to the posts he made back then, he has some amazing Mosin's and related items.

Ok, so the Karl Heinz article on the page I linked is obsolete information for sure ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think that would be for Karl to say, wouldn't you? I mean it could be but then I really think only he would know or say right? Bill
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

My lowest.