Savage No4 MkI

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
shmlnaaa

Savage No4 MkI

Post by shmlnaaa »

Here's one of my more recent acquisitions. Note that is is a MkI and not a MkI* like most Savage made No4's are. It is South African marked and appears to be non-refurbished; the only part that appears to not be Savage is the front sling loop. I assume that if it did make it into South African hands by the end of WW2 (probably through lend-lease), that it didn't see much, if any action. From my research, the South Africans did use North American made No4's in Italy, but for the earlier parts of the war they generally used No1 MkIII's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Savage No4 MkI

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

If the front band is Long Branch, it may still be original. There are a healthy smattering of Savage Enfields with original Long Branch parts.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very cool! :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

martin08 wrote:If the front band is Long Branch, it may still be original. There are a healthy smattering of Savage Enfields with original Long Branch parts.
The front band is savage marked. The loop for the sling itself is BA marked.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice Savage Enfield. Interesting early round cocking knob.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That's a nice looking Savage there!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Does yours have the two grove barel ?? When I first saw mine it totally threw me off as I had never seen that before.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Love the wood and handguard.
Very nice rifle,great find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

Gsragtop wrote:Does yours have the two grove barel ?? When I first saw mine it totally threw me off as I had never seen that before.
It's a six groove actually.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Nice! Right up my alley! I have a couple of Savage No. 4's. I found a "sporter" (but not cut) at a gun show last Fall that had a matching magazine. :)
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Mosinhope

Post by Mosinhope »

Just for the heck of it and if you feel like doing it, take off the upper handguard and look at the top of the barrel. It probably has the original barrel, but if re-barreled by the South Africans with one of their own manufactured barrels you might find a crossed guided missile and arrow from the 1960's on top of the barrel.
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

Mosinhope wrote:Just for the heck of it and if you feel like doing it, take off the upper handguard and look at the top of the barrel. It probably has the original barrel, but if re-barreled by the South Africans with one of their own manufactured barrels you might find a crossed guided missile and arrow from the 1960's on top of the barrel.
I already did. It's got the original Savage barrel with S and flaming bomb mark.