Mosin Nagant Corrosive Cleaning Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mosin-Marauder

Mosin Nagant Corrosive Cleaning Question

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I'm not sure if using Hopppe's 9 will work on my Mosin to remove all the salts, as I've been using shooters choice on a .357 brush followed by several patches, so I'm thinking of getting a funnel and pouring hot water (not boiling) down the bore and drying the bore with patches, but I'm afraid to because I'm worried it might rot the wood in the stock or rust the exterior if some of it spills. Is this a possibility or am I over thinking this? Thanks in advance, I just don't want anything to happen to my rifle. :b sad:
shoto2758

Re: Mosin Nagant Corrosive Cleaning Question

Post by shoto2758 »

Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

After a range session it's best to use a water solution to rinse the salts away, patch it dry, then clean as you normally would. I've been considering using some fish-tank tubing attached to the nozzle of a spray bottle that one can put down the chamber. If anyone wants to plagiarize that idea... by all means help yourself. :lol:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Bugelson

Re: Vs: Mosin Nagant Corrosive Cleaning Question

Post by Bugelson »

Best and the original method: soda crystals i.e. pure washing soda - water solution. About 3 oz of soda crystals in a gallon of water, preferably car battery water or distilled water.

Washes away salts and gets rid of powder fouling. And it is cheap.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Bugelson wrote:Best and the original method: soda crystals i.e. pure washing soda - water solution. About 3 oz of soda crystals in a gallon of water, preferably car battery water or distilled water.

Washes away salts and gets rid of powder fouling. And it is cheap.
Would that be Baking Soda? As in Arm and Hammer Baking Soda?

Some other uses Baking Soda Uses
51 more uses
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
7x57

Post by 7x57 »

I do it like the Russians. Take one of those two-compartment oilers to the range, one compartment filled with an alkaline solution (washing soda in demin water), the other side with East German gun oil W22. This I use for a first cleaning immediately after shooting - two or three runs of a brush soaked with alkaline solution, one or two dry patches and finally two runs with a brush full of W22.
Proper cleaning at home within the next two days. Bore is still as shiny as before.
1910 Arg. Mauser M1909 (long rifle)
1912 Braz. Mauser M1908 (long rifle)
1915 & 1943 Swed. Mauser M96
1934 Persian Mauser M1309
Two 1935 Braz. Mauser M1935 (short rifle)
1937 Braz. Mauser M1935 (long rifle)
1943 Finnish M39 (Sk.Y.)
1943 Izhevsk M1891/30 w. folding bay.
1943 Swiss K31
1947 Dutch "Wilhelmina" Mauser carbine
~1950 Hung. Lámpagyár Kispuska 48M (.22lr cadet rifle)
Two 1952 Hung. 48M
1955 British No. 4 Mk. 2
1968 Finnish M39
1977 6" Korth .357 Magnum
2012 H&K USP Expert .45 ACP
2016 H&K MR308 A3
2016 STEYR AUG Z
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

jones0430 wrote: Would that be Baking Soda? As in Arm and Hammer Baking Soda?

Some other uses Baking Soda Uses
51 more uses
Nope. Soda crystals are a different thing, though chemically closely related to baking soda.
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

so far i have not used any corrosive ammo. its interesting how many different ways people clean them
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

so I'm thinking of getting a funnel and pouring hot water (not boiling) down the bore and drying the bore with patches

Actually Boiling water is better in that it will evaporate easier/faster
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I'm just not really wanting to boil water every time I shoot and run the risk of getting scalded.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:I'm just not really wanting to boil water every time I shoot and run the risk of getting scalded.
Use a tea-pot. Actually; This is what I do in the link below....

My Cleaning start to finish

First off... Wear some heavy gloves. The action will get hot. Next, remove action from stock.

Paper towel in the drain with the Muzzle placed "Gently" into it

Pour boiling down the chamber... Boiling water sitting in the bore & chamber building heat... Once hot, the muzzle is lifted & water is poured down to thoroughly rinse.

Out of the Bath... Still wearing gloves as it is still too hot to touch. I begin by wiping what little moisture is left off, run a patch down the bore to dry, then an oil patch after. I then patch the chamber with a nylon .410 brush wearing a patch over with a touch of oil on it. Wipe down everything well with a silicone rag & liberal amounts of CLP. when I'm satisfied all the water is totally gone I wipe off any excess oil.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Wouldn't removing the action from the stock affect the way the gun shoots? Like, loosening the screws and stuff?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:Wouldn't removing the action from the stock affect the way the gun shoots? Like, loosening the screws and stuff?
No it will not. Actually, one should fully disassemble their rifle upon acquisition to give it a thorough cleaning & inspection. Ensure there are no shims under the action... Shims are commonly found on Finn rifles but rarely on Soviet Refurbs. If Shims are present; Make note of where they go during re-assembly.
Also; Do NOT remove the crossbolt! This is the bolt in the stock itself near where you hold your supporting hand while shooting.

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

OK, I'm going to show this one more time. All these parts can be found at any big box store or plumbing outlet. A small necked funnel. 18 inches of 3/8s copper tubing, a couple gas or propane brass fittings, a good 2 part epoxy glue and a brass bullet casing. I used a British .303 and it works fine in every chamber I have used it in. Bend the copper tubing so one end will go in to the chamber, then bend the tubing so it clears the receiver and stock then bend again so it is in an upright position. Epoxy glue the tubing to the bullet casing after you drill the base out so the tubing is about an 1/8 to a 1/4 in the casing. Epoxy the funnel or a fitting a funnel will fit in together. I put the muzzle over the shower drain and pour a tea kettle of boiling water through the doohickey shown here. The boiling water will clean all the salts and is hot enough to flash off leaving no residue then clean and oil as usual. The tool will never rust as it is all, or should be, copper and brass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I just take a pepsi bottle filled with water to the range and pour some down the muzzle and run a couple of patches through to dry it and one with a little clp. Never have dripped that on the wood although it wouldn't cause any damage. No need for boiling water in my mind. The barrel is plenty hot. Then follow up cleaning when I get home.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Frankly every time this thread comes up I just could puke! It is endless and maybe if I could just direct my barf down the barrel that would be the final solution? :lol: :lol: :lol: To each his :) own and if it works for you more power to you but I am at the point where we have belabored this subject to the point of ridiculous in the enth degree. Yeah I know we are trying to teach new shooters how to clean after corrosive ammo but you folks are starting to sound like you are indoctrinating someone to a secret society or something!

Why doesn't some open minded moderator make a sticky subject showing all the methods we are sure work on the top of the first page and let people decide which one they want to use rather than every week over and over we end up in range wars about which method works or is best and go through a 100 posts showing why. I mean it is quite obvious to all of us we use many different methods and they all seem to work so why not eliminate this constant day after day, week after week, month after month, etc. Rehashing this subject every time we get a new member who asks this question we could just direct them to the above sticky and be done with it. To many of us we have long past the ridiculous point and something needs to be done to reflect the many good available methods of this clean up after corrosive powder without all the over and over rehashing. :) :) :) Please some hard working enterprising moderator take the bull by the horns and give a non-prejudiced sticky showing all the methods that work and are out there. Bill
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Sorry for making the thread. I just didn't want anything to happen to my rifle. I'll ask a mod to delete it if you want.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I have a shower rod hanging high over my tub. I hang a bungee cord from it and hook it through the trigger guard. I use a transmission funnel to pour the boiling water through the barrel. I have not as of yet had to dry the barrel as the heat does it for me.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

oh, did somebody mention peeing down the barrel yet? I'm not a good enough shot for that method and I hate peeing on my hands.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:Sorry for making the thread. I just didn't want anything to happen to my rifle. I'll ask a mod to delete it if you want.
This is always a legitimate question for somebody new to shooting corrosive ammo. Please don't feel bad about it. Besides, it is good entertainment to see the cock fight that always follows! You've got the right idea; you have to clean very soon after shooting this stuff, because if you let it sit for days, it will become a rust bucket. Pick a method that works for you and go with it. Inspect frequently to make sure it is working. I clean right on the range after shooting and follow up as necessary at home. (I won't mention my method, as it would get severely critiqued here and I don't want the hassle)

:2cents: :soapbox:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.