Fly fishing

ponycarman

Re: Fly fishing

Post by ponycarman »

Yes sir!

Thats how I look at it too haha. Caught some fish, got some practice, and had a blast. I would call that a success :thumbsup: .

Other good things:
Didn't fall in
Didn't hook myself haha
Didn't break any major equipment

It was a good day :biggrin:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Glad to see you are still at the fishing game. I went last week with my ex BIL. He uses a flyrod. I have a couple of them, but have never really gotten the hang of them. We caught some more of those giant bluegills, and a couple small bass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yep I'm still at it haha. Those are massive bluegill. The fish around don't seem to be interested in those little hula poppers. I have tried a couple. The bigger ones are a bit more rare to find though haha. Caught one bass today. It was a tiny one. Only a few inches long lol.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Good job guy's-----------Ponycar just look how much you have learned fishing in the last 4 months. :thumbsup:

Keep working it will get much easier and you will pick up onthe tricks---also talk to people fishing around you for tips.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

My bil was catching them on one of those rubber spiders that you have. The bass and bluegill both were nailing the hula popper. BLOOP BLOOOP BLOOOOP, BANG!!!
Big fun.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks Tennessee!

Those foam spiders work very well. Got the big one with it. Only had two and lost them both lol. I guess losing 3 flys in the first day isn't too bad.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The antique bamboo fly fishing pole
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Very neat! Looks like a baitcaster.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a clue, at one time it's furniture was nickel plated, something I associate with the Model T era of the teens and twenties. My neighbor could only say she remembered it from her fathers time at least as far back as the 1930's. The reel looks newer, I have sold 20's reels before, and they were all nickel plated brass affairs. The rod is a nice piece of work and in excellent condition, if the damn thing would come apart I would keep it in the trunk of my Model T as a period accessory.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Cool. That is an old bait casting rig. The rod should come apart at that metal ferrule in the middle. a drop or 2 of oil and a long soak might free it up.

C. S. Lewis
entropy

Post by entropy »

millman wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a 1920's vintage bamboo fishing pole with brass furniture and reel on it, long and heavy, I am told it's for ocean fishing. What the hell do I know, I bought it because it was an all or nothing deal for my elderly neighbors late fathers guns.
Those bamboo rods can be worth quite a bit. It might be worth a gun or two.

I have one of them in the rafters downstairs; not as heavy as JYD's, just an ordinary sized one. No reel. I used to use cane poles for fishing off the dock at our cabin as a kid. lotta fun!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Worth a couple of guns is it? By a couple of guns are we talking matches set of H&H double rifles, or two badly rusted type 53's? :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Worth a couple of guns is it? By a couple of guns are we talking matches set of H&H double rifles, or two badly rusted type 53's? :twisted:
Closer to the t53s probably. The bamboo fly rods can bring big money.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Type 53 money.....shit, I just got back from the Lincoln dealer.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Type 53 money.....shit, I just got back from the Lincoln dealer.
I hope you were just browsing.

C. S. Lewis
Tennessee_Mosin

Nice looking rig JYD :thumbsup: ---Yes it is a late model baitcaster reel on the setup.

Spray a little Areo-Kroil on the takedown joint and it will easily come apart and be way easier to manage.
Tennessee_Mosin

Here is a link to a Ocean City reel identical to the one you have that recently sold on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ocean-C ... t_66wt_990
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tennessee_Mosin wrote:Here is a link to a Ocean City reel identical to the one you have that recently sold on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ocean-C ... t_66wt_990
I didn't sell the reel or the pole, it's still sitting leaning against The Crate back at my place. If I can get it apart I might put in in my Model T as a period accessory. If someone flashed a roll of bills under my nose I might sell it, and replace it in the car with one of the double barrels :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt