Curious

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
vis_ionmas_ter

Curious

Post by vis_ionmas_ter »

Has anyone here had the space to dial their sights all the way to 2000 meters and been able to hit something?
Уважайте бороду
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Curious

Post by Rongo »

vis_ionmas_ter wrote:Has anyone here had the space to dial their sights all the way to 2000 meters and been able to hit something?
We had a setup once out to 800+ yards. I was shooting at a car hood with my M39 & K 98 Mauser Iron sights only. I made a few hits on target... :biggrin:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

sweet thatd be funnice jon ron
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

On a good day I can see maybe to 100 yards, 2000? I can hit something at 2000 yards, I guarantee that bullet once fired will travel 2000 yards unless it hits something closer first. I will not know what it hits, or be able to see it, but it will hit something.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

P.I.1966 Able Course. 500 yards. open sights, prone position, M-14.

It was the pits, and yeah I pulled in the pit's too.

With my eye degeneration after 50 years, yea they're hitting in the black!

Go for it!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If I'm shooting 1000 meters there better be a golf cart or target pullers involved. I am not walking that far for anything less than an M91 signed by both Mosin and Nagant.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

Longcolt44 wrote:If I'm shooting 1000 meters there better be a golf cart or target pullers involved. I am not walking that far for anything less than an M91 signed by both Mosin and Nagant.
:chuckles:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

:chuckles:

I would have to use a howitzer to tell I hit something at that range. I have tried the M91 at the 300 yard range and knocked a gong around after a lot of trying. I have one old M1 Carbine that is the micro grooved barrel the military turned down that is very consistent at 300 yards and surprises everyone who shoots it. Generally I stay right around 100 yards or 50 yards so I have some idea of where the bullet is going. Years ago I watched my buddy shoot his Sharps rifle 1000 yards at metal targets with black powder. It was almost 3 seconds from bang to clang and he is and was almost perfect most times. Long distance shooting was uncommon in wartime and not near as successful as many Hollywood movies make it out to be. Most times if you just came close you chased the people you were shooting at quickly. Bill :o
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Anything past 300 meters is by luck and by golly.

Effective fire is regularly achieved from 300 meters and closer. Ranges further than 300 meters tax most shooters to the point that it is long range fire. Since the probability of hitting a target at that range for the average rifleman is 50% or less, it is intended to pin them down, restrict free movement and allow time to bring other weapons to bear on them.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
entropy

Post by entropy »

jones0430 wrote:Anything past 300 meters is by luck and by golly.

Effective fire is regularly achieved from 300 meters and closer. Ranges further than 300 meters tax most shooters to the point that it is long range fire. Since the probability of hitting a target at that range for the average rifleman is 50% or less, it is intended to pin them down, restrict free movement and allow time to bring other weapons to bear on them.

Yeah. but it's fun once in a while. It took me four rounds to get on that car hood Rongo and I were shooting at, but I could hit it consistantly after that. (With FrankenTula™)

I hit it the second round with Rongo's cousin's .300 Win. Mag. Remington 700. SHweet! :biggrin:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I agree, it can be done, and with the right rifle you can hit consistently. With a mil surplus rifle and iron sights , and if the target is man-sized,... Well the results may vary. But doing it is fun.
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

I used to do it regularly to well past 2000 meters, and hit the target better than 75% time on the first shot. But then, that was using the M68 105mm on a M60A3 and M1. :biggrin:
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

john_the_plinker wrote:I used to do it regularly to well past 2000 meters, and hit the target better than 75% time on the first shot. But then, that was using the M68 105mm on a M60A3 and M1. :biggrin:
i fired hundreds of rounds of 105mm from m60s and m1s at the calbration ranges after boresighting 1200 meter target never................ well mostly, never missed
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

But that wasn't over open iron sights!
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

youve never seen the very very low tech way m68a1 105mm guns where boresighted involved black string and a pair of binoculars
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Sgt lamb wrote:youve never seen the very very low tech way m68a1 105mm guns where boresighted involved black string and a pair of binoculars
No I haven't. Thankfully, I was infantry and I could carry all my ammunition myself. And sighting/targeting isn't so incolxed with rifles. :)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:
jones0430 wrote:Anything past 300 meters is by luck and by golly.

Yeah. but it's fun once in a while. It took me four rounds to get on that car hood Rongo and I were shooting at, but I could hit it consistantly after that. (With FrankenTula™)

I hit it the second round with Rongo's cousin's .300 Win. Mag. Remington 700. SHweet! :biggrin:

Here it is! Carhood is the white spec in the distance. :pointdown:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Good shooting with whatever you were using. It is a challenging shot.

Now do it with iron sights. :)
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

20+ years ago, when I was on the HP rifle team, we shot a 1000 yrd course of fire. NM M14, heaavy barrel, equally heaavy stock, NM ammo...I could hit 12" or less four out of five times. That was fun! What wasn't fun was walking 1000 yds to the pits, and then back again when it was over. I used to be able to hit the 10 ring every time at 500 yds with a proper battle sight zero on a straight old M16 (provided no wind). Now, I have to wear glasses to shave :chuckles:
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

jones0430 wrote:Good shooting with whatever you were using. It is a challenging shot.

Now do it with iron sights. :)
I did. While my cousin was shooting his Remington 700 I was shooting with my 41 Sako M39 using Hungarian 147grn Surplus ammo & the old irons. He was shocked when he saw I placed a hit on that hood. :devil2:

Mind you I missed more than I hit, but it was fun all the same. :biggrin:

"Dang that entropy"