My first Mosin: 1943 Izhevsk 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
nicholjm

My first Mosin: 1943 Izhevsk 91/30

Post by nicholjm »

Here are pics of my first Mosin Nagant, a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30. I've been wanting one of these ever since I first laid eyes on one back in high school, and got to shoot it at a local gun range. I was immediately hooked by the sheer power, and the low price meant it was only a matter of time until I owed one.

I ordered this off classicfirearms.com, and was quite please with their service. I am amazed how no two of these rifles are exactly the same. Each one has a unique history or interesting quirk about them. This one came with a rather darkly shellaced, mid-war stock (no escutcheons on the sling holes). Most of the ones I've seen online seem to have better stocks, and I really like the look of the brass sling hole fittings, so I was a little disappointed, but that just means I'll have to get another one! I do like the brass ended handguard, which sets it apart from all the others a little. I'm no expert, but the rifling looks pretty good to me, if a little rounded. I really wonder if and how this rifle lived it's early life. Was it used in WWII, and what tales can it tell? I've yet to shoot it, as I'm working on refilling the ole' wallet so I can buy a 440 round spam can, so I have no idea how accurate it is. It came with very little cosmoline on it, which was nice. I've definitely got the Mosin fever now, as I'd like to eventually add a laminate stock 91/30, and an M44 or M38 to my collection.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My first Mosin: 1943 Izhevsk 91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good first choice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

Enjoy that mosin welcome
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

Welcome, nice. looking rifle. Don't ever part with your first one.
VelocityKnives

Post by VelocityKnives »

Hey,

Welcome and nice rifle, also i think to save yourself from the brutality of mosinitus you should send that rifle to me for disposal,, hey im just trying to help you save money and sanity,,,,,, haha

Regards,
AL
Weapons:

91/30 1943 Mosin Counterbore
91/30 1943 Mosin
.22 Marlin 25N Rifle
.22 Ruger Mark 3 Slabside competition
CZ40B .40 s/w
Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
Iver Johnson 16ga single shot Champion Model
SKS Chinese Security Force 7.62x39
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

1943 is a great rifle for your first one, I think many on this board had that as their first as well. Yours is a great looking one as well. Congratulations on your first one and welcome to the forums!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

You picked a good one! :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Congratulations. There is just something special about a wartime Mosin. My first was the same as yours, and like you, I had to follow with a carbine.
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

djbuck1 wrote:You picked a good one! :thumbsup:
Ha, there was no picking involved, it was sight-unseen. I didn't even go with the "hand-picked" option thru classicfirearms.com, I just paid them and hoped for the best. I am really looking forward to the next big Houston gunshow, because I'm going to be scouring the racks looking for all the Mosins I can find. Now that I have some basic knowledge, I'll be able to tell what is really rare or not. Oh yeah, and thanks to my wife, she took the good pics of the rifle on the fence in our backyard.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sure looks like a nice 1st. Like the color of it. :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:vcool: :vcool: Welcome to the forum. Nice first one - yes, I said first one not last one :D
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

:thumbsup: :vcool: Congrats on your first one. Hope there will be many offspring. Welcome to the board. You are at the right place.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Looks good. You will like shooting it. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

That was my first one. It led me down the path to (Mo) sin. :chuckles:
We have met the enemy and he is us.
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Well, I just ordered my first spam can (440 rds). I'll tell yall about how well it shoots once it arrives and I get to the range. It's getting mighty hot here in Houston so I might not shoot more than 30-40 rounds. Hopefully I won't have any sticky bolt or other issues.

Question: In my 2nd picture up above, are those two circles on the stock the cartouches? They are extremely faint, does anyone know what they mean?
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

That is a beauty of a first mosin! Make sure you check the headspace and firing pin before you take her to the range...
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

yes those are stamps in the stock
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Congrats. Almost everyone here started with a 42 or 43. My first was a 42 Izhevsk with laminated stock. Beautiful older R Guns import. Back then, I played with it for a year before I started buying more. Don't ever sell or trade the first one. It's sacred.
KT_Cobra

Post by KT_Cobra »

Like everyone is saying, "Don't ever sell or trade your first one." But I have to add something to that - I live by the idea of "Don't ever sell or trade ANY of them." hehe
Seriously, though. Great looking rifle. I like the color too.
You wondered if it was used in WWII... from what I understand, when purchasing a Mosin Nagant, there's just about a 100% chance that it was. Unless it's a model made after '45.
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Yes, I often wonder that as well. Did this rifle off a number of Nazis? What would the original owner think of his trusty battle rifle, one day ending up in the hands of a white-bread suburbanite Texan like myself, who has never even served in any armed force, being sold for less than the cost of nice pair of boots? This rifle is 70 years old, I'll make sure it lasts another 70 (or as long as I'm around).