Bought an Oldie

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
zaitsev44

Bought an Oldie

Post by zaitsev44 »

I just walked out of the pawn shop with a Dutch Mannlicher M1895? Hemburg 1918 rifle. I'll post pictures when I get home. The stock is rough, full of character. The metal is good but dark, no rust or pitting. It's full of grease and dust! I believe it's in 6.5x53r? I payed $109 out the door, he wouldn't go any lower. The bore has strong rifling but it's dark (as suspected). Can anyone educate me? I thought it was a Gew1888 Commission rifle at first, seeing the en bloc fed magazine like the M95 straight pull Steyr, but I did a quick google search and that changed it. There are crown proofs all over it, a crown with a letter. There's a large stock repair to the butt. I know pretty much nothing about these rifles, can anyone help? All feedback is appreciated!ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Bought an Oldie

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very good deal, even as parts relics these sell for $250 and up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

It had a $125 price tag, but I offered $100 plus tax (couldn't knock tax off). So this is 6.5x53r? I've heard things about some being converted to .303 British, and the hang tag and invoice said it was .303, I put an empty .303 casing in the chamber and it fit but the bolt wouldn't turn down all the way, and I put a surplus .303 projectile on the muzzle and it was a hair too big.
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

The bore is flawless! No rust or pitting, great lands and grooves, very clean! Image
gurn

Post by gurn »

Cool rifle and a great price. It should be easy enough to measure whether its 6.5 or 7.7
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice. Stock does look rough. I have one of these myself and I have ammo for it. It can be manufactured also. It is a 6.5x53.5r unless it is noted on the receiver. I can tell you if it is a knil or a homeland if you post the fotos of the markings. With the bore in that shape then it is likely a homeland forces rifle. There are 2 makers of these, steyr and hembrug. If I remember right mine us a 1918 also. Should have a cartouche on the right butt with the maker and year. These take a mannlicher clip which are available on gb. Ammo is available from gads although I was very disappointed in the product I received from them and will make my own from now on. If you decide you don't want it I would love to welcome it to my little family. Brass is generaly made from .303 british. :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If it has the crown proofs and serial numbers with a letter prefix (I think or suffix cant remember at the moment) then it is a homeland forces rifle. It should be a 6.5 caliber. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

desdem12 wrote:Very nice. Stock does look rough. I have one of these myself and I have ammo for it. It can be manufactured also. It is a 6.5x53.5r unless it is noted on the receiver. I can tell you if it is a knil or a homeland if you post the fotos of the markings. With the bore in that shape then it is likely a homeland forces rifle. There are 2 makers of these, steyr and hembrug. If I remember right mine us a 1918 also. Should have a cartouche on the right butt with the maker and year. These take a mannlicher clip which are available on gb. Ammo is available from gads although I was very disappointed in the product I received from them and will make my own from now on. If you decide you don't want it I would love to welcome it to my little family. Brass is generaly made from .303 british. :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The only markings I can find is the Hembrug 1918 on the left wall of the receiver and 195 on the barrel bands and crowns with a letter on all parts less the receiver. No serial number to be found. Unless it is under the stock, and in that case I'll have to wait for the Kroil to penetrate the gunk in the action screws. We had to use the bolts serial number for the 4473. It can chamber a .303 casing, but the bolt won't turn down all the way. I was told it's a KNIL rifle, it has the extra grooves on the stock, and the 2 gas relief holes on the receiver.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The dutch 6.5 is almost the same as a necked down 303. The japs or someone changed the chambering of the knil rifles but all I have seen have the 7.7 and a star or at least the 7.7 marked on it. (7.7 means 7.7 Scandinavian cartridge or .303 british.) Stock does appear to have knil looks to it for sure. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Also if it was rechambered the crowns were scratched off or ground. Sounds like it was polished off or something as there should be a number under the crown mark. Post fotos :thumbsup:
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

There's a crown and letter on:
The locking lug channel, barrel bands, and I think under the rear sight. I'll verify once I get home. The receiver is scrubbed except for Hembrug 1918 marking. I'll post pictures once I get home as well.
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

Image crown Z on bolt channel

Image crown U on rear band

Image crown T on front band/bayo lug

Image numbers under rear sight slide

Image crown H? On rear sight slide

Image top of receiver

Image right side of the receiver

Image left side of receiver
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

Ok I just found the 7.7 marking! It was on top of the buttplateImage
Last edited by zaitsev44 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It also looks like it has the Japanese characters on the crest. Faint but maybe there. It is in knil shape for sure. Pics are very blurry, not sure what you are using for pics but an upgrade is needed :shock: :lol: :thumbsup:
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

desdem12 wrote:It also looks like it has the Japanese characters on the crest. Faint but maybe there. It is in knil shape for sure. Pics are very blurry, not sure what you are using for pics but an upgrade is needed :shock: :lol: :thumbsup:
I'm using my iPhone, it's not good up close :biggrin: Where on the crest do you see Jap. characters? I scrubbed it with RemOil and one marking came up, it looks like a crown? I got the upper hand guard off and I found the serial, but no other markings. I tried my best to get the camera to focus on two pictures of the crest. They will be uploaded after this post.
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

ImageImageImage
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/sit ... 89-det.jpg <<Kind of like this. I could be wrong. On your new pics it really cant be seen. I am sure this is a knil rifle though. Here is a picture of a homeland dutch crest and a knil carbine...presumably the carbine is in 6.5 but there is a serious lack of rifling so was very hard to tell the actual caliber by bullet test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sight is in dutch but you can navigate it and translate fairly easy on some stuff. Scroll down and click on the different forces to see their particular rifles. :thumbsup:

http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/str ... 03514.html
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

Thanks Desdem for all your help and knowledge! I'm 99% sure this is a KNIL rifle in .303 British. I'm still waiting on the Kroil to eat away all that gunk on the action screws to see under the wood line.