New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nibbs wrote:Howdy, nooby to the forum, 1st post.
Bought my 1st Mosin in the early 90s, and got addicted. When I was up to 33 and no room left, I culled the herd.

Searching for info on a 1933 matching sans bolt 91-30 w/ MADE IN URRS on the rcvr flat led me here.

There are No Stock cartouches indicating SCW nor anything under the butt plate.
No writing under the HG.

So, I will post some pics and ask opinions.
Later I can post some others that fit into a Kool Kid Box. 8-)

Have at it please, Old dogs can still learn. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Nibbs wrote:Howdy, nooby to the forum, 1st post.
Bought my 1st Mosin in the early 90s, and got addicted. When I was up to 33 and no room left, I culled the herd.

Searching for info on a 1933 matching sans bolt 91-30 w/ MADE IN URRS on the rcvr flat led me here.

There are No Stock cartouches indicating SCW nor anything under the butt plate.
No writing under the HG.

So, I will post some pics and ask opinions.
Later I can post some others that fit into a Kool Kid Box. 8-)

Have at it please, Old dogs can still learn. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum. My first thought was SCW also but others know them better than me. You might want to make a post here viewforum.php?f=5 about it. You're likely to get more responses in the main Mosin Nagant forum.
Yes it is a Spanish Civil War rifle :) I can see part of the "made in ussr, or urrs" stamp in one photo
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New russian-mosin-nagant owner

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

hartford3 wrote:Just bought one of these babys with bayonet, and couple boxes of old russian ammo. Man this thing is scary accurate. With just the "iron" sights. Ballentine at 100 meters. Good to be here, Lots to learn. Picts later. Excuse spelling I type a lot and fingers cramp.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

catfish1 wrote:Hi,

I just bought a 1927 Izhevsk M91/30 at gander mt. The bolt is sticking very hard when ejecting.
Brass cases seem to be harder to get ejected than steel.
I tried cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge brush but it did not improve.
The action is smooth when cycling without a round and with a round that was not fired.
Brass cases also show blistering/scaring in the same places on the cases after they have been fired.
Gander mt has a warranty on all sales, and may fix it but if I can fix it myself I would rather do that.
Any idea what is wrong?

Here are some pictures:
http://imageshack.com/a/img829/8723/z50j.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/8039/d8e9.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img856/1337/mnpc.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img840/2861/ovnb.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img819/8120/34mg.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/7311/nuo9i.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img850/5778/ul2z8.jpg

Thanks!
Welcome to the board, check the headspace on this rifle, Okie headspace gauges can be had by clicking the banner at the top of the page, easy to use, if the headspace checks out you may have a chamber issue, but headspace must be determined first.
Theodore Roosevelt
nicholjm

First post, and first Mosin-Nagant

Post by nicholjm »

I've just recently caught the Mosin-bug, and purchased my first, a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30, from classicfirearms.com. Here's some terrible pics, I'll take some better ones soon:

It came with a bayonet, all the cleaning tools (except for a bore brush, and no pouch to hold them all), and an oil can (caked in cosmoline). It was suprisingly clean, only a little cosmoline on the stock. I still gave all the parts a boiling water bath, and then oiled them all down with Ballistol. I'm not super excited about the condition of the stock (war-time, no sling escutcheons, very dark, flaky shellac), but I'm not going to change it, since it's a historical piece. The handguard did come with brass end caps, which at least makes this rifle a little unique. This rifle is LONG! Makes my other rifles look like toys! With the bayonet on it, it's just ridiculous. I'm saving up for a tin of ammo, then it's off to the range. I've ordered a sling, I think it will look much better with one attached (and be useful). I can't wait to shoot it. The history, the cult-like following, and the sheer amount of info about this gun on the interwebs is just amazing.
kb7pat

Post by kb7pat »

Hi, new member.
Ken in Iowa

Post by Ken in Iowa »

Hello world!
mgbill

Post by mgbill »

Hello all - writing from Maryland. Long time C&R holder, but only one Mosin Nagant. Wait, do M39s count? If so, make that three. The Russian model is a 01/30, 1933 Izhevsk, double date MO.

Other interests are MG sports cars (5 on hand) and pleasure riding on a one horsepower hay-burner.
mgbill

Post by mgbill »

New member from Maryland. Looks like an interesting forum.

Bill
yankeeff40

Hello

Post by yankeeff40 »

Hello everybody,
I am kevin. I own two Mosin's, a 1942 laminated. Bought my 2nd one yesterday, a 1942. Great rifles..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mgbill wrote:Hello all - writing from Maryland. Long time C&R holder, but only one Mosin Nagant. Wait, do M39s count? If so, make that three. The Russian model is a 01/30, 1933 Izhevsk, double date MO.

Other interests are MG sports cars (5 on hand) and pleasure riding on a one horsepower hay-burner.
Welcome to the board Bill, lots of car guys around here :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: First post, and first Mosin-Nagant

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

nicholjm wrote:I've just recently caught the Mosin-bug, and purchased my first, a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30, from classicfirearms.com. Here's some terrible pics, I'll take some better ones soon:

It came with a bayonet, all the cleaning tools (except for a bore brush, and no pouch to hold them all), and an oil can (caked in cosmoline). It was suprisingly clean, only a little cosmoline on the stock. I still gave all the parts a boiling water bath, and then oiled them all down with Ballistol. I'm not super excited about the condition of the stock (war-time, no sling escutcheons, very dark, flaky shellac), but I'm not going to change it, since it's a historical piece. The handguard did come with brass end caps, which at least makes this rifle a little unique. This rifle is LONG! Makes my other rifles look like toys! With the bayonet on it, it's just ridiculous. I'm saving up for a tin of ammo, then it's off to the range. I've ordered a sling, I think it will look much better with one attached (and be useful). I can't wait to shoot it. The history, the cult-like following, and the sheer amount of info about this gun on the interwebs is just amazing.
Welcome to the board, if you think the 91/30 is long then just wait until you meet the M1891 original :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kb7pat wrote:Hi, new member.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ken in Iowa wrote:Hello world!
Hello Ken, welcome to the board :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Hello

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

yankeeff40 wrote:Hello everybody,
I am kevin. I own two Mosin's, a 1942 laminated. Bought my 2nd one yesterday, a 1942. Great rifles..
Welcome to the board Kevin, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Chirpy

Post by Chirpy »

Greetings Mosin fans!

Coming back to guns as a hobby now that my kids are old enough to shoot. Surprised at how prevalent the AR platform has become over the last decade.

Always read about these Russian beasts, but didn't have much interest. I've already got the Communist bloc represented with SKS and AK minions.

Then one day at the range a gentleman showed up with his two sons. Kinda notice they were pulling out a bolt gun, which looked rather looooong, but figured it was just a trick of the light at the indoor range. Then they fired a round. Flame kept from the barrel seemingly reaching half way to the target, the concussion causing grown men to weep and several babies to deliver - in the next county! As the concrete flakes settled from ceiling to floor, and people writhed in pain on the floor, the gentleman acted as if this was normal.

I asked him, "Is that like a 20mm cannon or something"?

"No", he said, "just an old Mosin we picked up!"

So I'm trying to get educated a bit before I take the plunge.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chirpy wrote:Greetings Mosin fans!

Coming back to guns as a hobby now that my kids are old enough to shoot. Surprised at how prevalent the AR platform has become over the last decade.

Always read about these Russian beasts, but didn't have much interest. I've already got the Communist bloc represented with SKS and AK minions.

Then one day at the range a gentleman showed up with his two sons. Kinda notice they were pulling out a bolt gun, which looked rather looooong, but figured it was just a trick of the light at the indoor range. Then they fired a round. Flame kept from the barrel seemingly reaching half way to the target, the concussion causing grown men to weep and several babies to deliver - in the next county! As the concrete flakes settled from ceiling to floor, and people writhed in pain on the floor, the gentleman acted as if this was normal.

Welcome to the board, the Mosin is typical of the rifles of it's era, the late 19th century. The 1898 Mauser, US M1903, British No1 MKIII, and so on. All .30 rifles packing enough punch for the bullet to achieve orbit :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Jebediah

Post by Jebediah »

Hi my name is Dave! I have developed a passion for Finnish Mosins over the past couple years and am excited to be a new member of this forum!
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Chirpy wrote:Greetings Mosin fans!

Welcome to the board, the Mosin is typical of the rifles of it's era, the late 19th century. The 1898 Mauser, US M1903, British No1 MKIII, and so on. All .30 rifles packing enough punch for the bullet to achieve orbit :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
it has multiple methods of devastation. Bullet, bayonet, muzzle blast, and recoil. This is a rifle manufactured when men were men, and shooting rifles made them weep.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
KT_Cobra

Post by KT_Cobra »

Hey everyone. First time'r here. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys. I only own two Mosin's right now (33 Hex and 43 PU), but definitely plan on adding to the collection. See y'all around the forums.