M91 Gamble - Lets play a game

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Re: M91 Gamble - Lets play a game

Post by zeebill »

Hmm interesting rifle! The board seems loaded with them as of late. OK lets do some brain teasing! Left over white paint from an original snow white camouflage Finnish paint job? No rear holes for screws where the rear sling slot plates should be? Possible use of a Finn rifle for a Soviet Bloc training rifle like the one I found. Any remnants of a red stripe around the butt stock? Or marks from an Instuctie marking. Possible use of a stock from one on a Finn rifle? Parts rifle someone threw together? Does that rear sight blade look long to anyone else when compared to the base? The stock looks cracked around the tang there from maybe poor fit into a borrowed stock?

Now how much would I bit? Maybe in the $100 range because I am number rich in parts and rifles like that and need no others. I routinely pay $75 to $100 for parts rifles often missing major things like Hand Guards and such. If you paid more than $100 for it, it would be easily explainable with stating just the simple fact I don't need it and you may! We are all at different points in our Mosin collecting with me being very far along and you maybe not being that far. That fact alone would bring different values to the rifle. Be sure to let us know what you find! Isn't it neat to gamble a bit on rifles being something special while they may not look like it? Good Luck! Bill
4095fanatic

Post by 4095fanatic »

I'd snatch it up at 100, wouldn't regret spending 150, would consider $200 shipped to be about the most I'd be comfortable spending.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

It looks basically sound and intact. No information about the bore or action. The only thing I find really off-putting is the electric tape.

The "missing piece" is a pic of the entire shank. Yes, the Romanov eagle is there, but what else?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

racerguy00 wrote:Im a sucker for such auctions so I'd go 123.45 in honor of Des.
:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
that is some funny shiz right there. I also would have gone clear up to and including...34.56, 45.67 but probly not as high as 56.78. :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Several hundred, that rifle has seen the elephant! A real piece of history.
+1. The more I look at the pictures the more I like it.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

She's adorable

Had it had the handguard on her and not topless
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Well, I gambled, and I lost. There are no markings at all to see on the barrel. Izhevsk bolt head and safety knob as far as I can tell. Bands seized, but loose. Nail in but plate where screw should be. And the screw on the bottom side is seized and mostly stripped, so I cannot read the tang date. Does not look like a captured SA. One piece stock. And the eagle remains. It's really a shame. I bet it has a lot of history. But probably just a wall hanger now. And I don't do non-shoot-able wall hangers. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. Probably just sit on it for a while.
Final cost with shipping was $123.00. $75 dollar bid won it.
Live and learn.
On another note, I did find a tenner in the hotel parking lot the other day.
Cat
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

What ever happened with this one?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Now I feel better about the m91 I just bought.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:It would depend on what is marked on the barrel.
Bingo! It would depend on those marks. Otherwise, that one would go to the back of the closet. :)
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
neal45

Post by neal45 »

The stock is worth more than you paid.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I don't think so. It's got cracks. Looks like dark wood though.

If anyone one is interested in it, feel free to send a PM. I don't think I am going to keep it. But if it goes, it may have to contribute to "improving my collection".

The Russian site ranges on the left of the rear site has not been crossed off. So I don't think it was captured. Sure wish I could get to the tang.

:very mad:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Post up some pics. Maybe someone will see something you don't.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F