Bolt hard to operate

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
AmericanPower

Bolt hard to operate

Post by AmericanPower »

The bolt action on my gun seems to be really hard to open most of the time, I was wondering if you guys knew any quick fixes for this. I already stripped, cleaned, and lubed it up but it's still hard to open and sometimes hard to close. Thanks.
no4shot

Re: Bolt hard to operate

Post by no4shot »

You didn't mention what kind of gun. Is it all the time or after you fire? Lets assume its a mosin. Search for sticky bolt.
AmericanPower

Post by AmericanPower »

no4shot wrote:You didn't mention what kind of gun. Is it all the time or after you fire? Lets assume its a mosin. Search for sticky bolt.
I did but apparently that is too common of a phrase so I got no results:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: sticky bolt.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards."
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Hard to open and close empty or with a round in the chamber?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
AmericanPower

Post by AmericanPower »

websterz wrote:Hard to open and close empty or with a round in the chamber?
Both, but I researched online and I found that if I cock the bolt manually before cocking the bolt itself that it goes much easier. Something to do with the spring maybe?
no4shot

Post by no4shot »

Sounds like your having troubles opening and closing. Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned it?
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Check this topic: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6932
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Check the extractor and the channel it runs in. make sure bolt is put back together right. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
no4shot

Post by no4shot »

desdem12 wrote:Check the extractor and the channel it runs in. make sure bolt is put back together right. :thumbsup:
Thats what i thought it might be when i asked if he took the bolt apart to clean.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk
AmericanPower

Post by AmericanPower »

Yeah I totally stripped it down, cleaned and relubed it. It's still sticky, maybe I just need to break it in
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

AmericanPower wrote:Yeah I totally stripped it down, cleaned and relubed it. It's still sticky, maybe I just need to break it in
Define re-lube??? What product do you use? I use Break-Free CLP to lightly coat the metal & a silicone cloth only.

I've found that the root cause for a sticky bolt is the dried grease still residing in the chamber area that heats up from shooting, liquefies, oozes onto the casing in the chamber & acts like instant glue holding the spent casing inside. To alleviate this... Use some JB Bore paste in the chamber & a few range sessions.. To clean, get a 20 gauge shotgun bore brush, wrap it with OOOO size steel wool, mount it on a section of shotgun cleaning rod, chuck it in a drill, put JB bore paste on the steel wool, drill it into the chamber at a slow speed, keep it straight and DO NOT GO INTO THE RIFLING! Again... As slow a speed as possible, do not go in too far as to touch the rifling & do it for about 1 minute only. ONE MORE TIME! DO NOT drill at high speed... Use the slowest speed possible, do not touch the rifling & keep it straight & consistent. Less is more.

And below are some helpful info... Good luck.

Cleaning & disassembly

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
AmericanPower

Post by AmericanPower »

I use rem oil to clean with then throw on a light coat of white lithium grease spray. This combo has always worked well in my other guns.
bws

Post by bws »

Check for cosmoline just outside the chamber. That's what got me with a lot of my rescues. Harder than hell to open and close. I had to clean the snot out of it.
================================================
I walk through the valley... but I will not fear. The shadow is mine, so is the valley.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

bws wrote:Check for cosmoline just outside the chamber. That's what got me with a lot of my rescues. Harder than hell to open and close. I had to clean the snot out of it.
Well, there's the problem, you had snot in it.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."