200 yard range day

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

200 yard range day

Post by jimpierce7 »

another name for this thread could be "What the hell was I thinking?" "Are you kidding me?" "Where's the target?" or any number of other things. Yes I was daunted. Much so. A little intimidated even.

This is what it looks like from where I will be shooting............. I'm shooting at #16

can't see #16? Let me zoom 20x

see the truck?

let me help.......... see the wild target I set up on 16? I'm determined to make it big enough to hit (see).

Ok. I'm out there with my M39, M91 VKT, M44, and my red letter M91/30.
This is the 91/30 with bayonet. :pointdown:

this is the M44 :pointdown:

This is the M39 and M91. Distance was too far to worry about being exact or MOA or any other OA. lol Just fun shooting.

The respect and awe I have/had for these wonderful rifles has been made worthy this day. My shoulder hurts. 200 rounds might do that? Maybe I'm a sissy. I don't know. The target pictures are from the first period of shooting. To the left of the paper target area is the steel hanging targets. I smacked the crap outta those!! Never missed with the VKT. Missed the most with the 91/30. I really was a bit giddy when I left. I did not expect to do this well. Not even close. This is testament to the weapons, not me.
Today was a grand day at the range!!

See this guy? This is the face of a guy driving home after a day at the 200 yard range.

jimpierce7

Re: 200 yard range day

Post by jimpierce7 »

oh, and I did not adjust anything on any of the rifles. All are shot from their lowest mark. Yeah, I'm impressed.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

You get to drive to your target? I'm stuck with walking at ours, as there is no driving down range. When it rains a "frog strangler" here in MS, we won't have anything but stuck and abandoned vehicles down range! Looks like fun! :thumbsup:
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Hats off to anyone that can SEE 200 yards. :chuckles: :bellylaugh: :slap:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Looks like a perfect day to me. Great shooting. Give yourself a little credit.
Cat
husker51

Post by husker51 »

That "selfy" should have had a bigger smile on it! That's some good fun! :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey, over there on target #13, is that a dragonfly buzzing around right next to that piss-ant on the top right corner?
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

husker51 wrote:That "selfy" should have had a bigger smile on it! That's some good fun! :D

I had to concentrate, I was driving.......... lol
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

Looks like you had a lot of fun at a very nice range. Good shooting!
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I wish we had ranges like that around my way. Maybe I can make one someday...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Man that's nuts, 100 yards is tough on me I can't imagine 200. Nice shooting tex
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

the 200 yard range is only open the 4th Sunday of the month. But it was a whole lot of fun. My left elbow (trigger arm) is sore where is rested on the table. lol It would sure take a lot of practice to get a tight group with iron sights at that distance. A little twitch is half the target.

I tried to use my telescope for spotting. It came with two lenses, one I could focus but it wasn't quite zoomed in enough. The other was for far greater distances and no way it could focus that close. Bummer. lol

Did I say how much fun I had?
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

Sounds like a Great Day. That is a nice looking range, Is it a private range or a public one? The closest range to me is only 85 yard.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

slcampbell wrote:Sounds like a Great Day. That is a nice looking range, Is it a private range or a public one? The closest range to me is only 85 yard.

it is a public range. It has a rifle/pistol section with 50 and 100 yard sections as well. Short ones for pistols of course. lol

As well as a shotgun area for skeet shooting.
no4shot

Post by no4shot »

Good times. Distances like that seperate the men and the wanna be. Good shooting. Thing is just dont get intimated b how far it is. A black dot on a sight post looks the same no matter how far. Lol

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

You are the man Jim good shooting!! :thumbsup:

If you want they have a contest at the Desoto gun club in Mississippi just south of Memphis that is 600 yards!! :big shock:

Here is the link and info

http://www.desotogunrange.com/ai1ec_eve ... ce_id=2986

Midrange Prone and F-Class Rifle Match @ DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club (600 yard range)
Jul 27 @ 7:00 am – 2:30 pm
Shoot at MSSA on Saturday, then come down to Como and shoot with us on Sunday!

Tournament ID 2014129252

General Information

Time: Registration starts 7:00 AM and ends promptly at 7:30 AM. The match is scheduled for 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM.
Changes: If the weather looks questionable, shooters are advised to monitor our website and our Facebook page after 7:15 AM for updates.
Match size: Maximum of 24, first come first serve.
Pit Service: Not provided, shooters will pull targets.
Food / Drinks: No food will be provided, drinks and snacks are available for purchase in the clubhouse.
Prerequisites: None.
Governing Rules: Current NRA rules will govern the match. We recommend that new shooters read the rule books in advance of competing. The NRA rule books are also on the NRA website.
Restrictions:
Open to any individual, including non-members of DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club.
NRA Membership is not required, unless you want scores to be recorded.
Ear and eye protection is required for all shooters.
Midrange Prone and F-Class (60 rounds scored, 6 or 15 sighters)

String 1: At 600 yards, 20 rounds, slow fire, prone (5 sighters for F-class, 2 sighters for Service Rifle)
String 2: At 600 yards, 20 rounds, slow fire, prone (5 sighters for F-class, 2 sighters for Service Rifle)
String 3: At 600 yards, 20 rounds, slow fire, prone (5 sighters for F-class, 2 sighters for Service Rifle)
Read more CATEGORIES: LONG DISTANCE RANGE
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Selfie while driving, this is how accidents happen, that could end up being the face of the guy who slams into my back bumper because he was fumbling with a camera. ( and who then has to part with all guns before the cops get there so I conveniently forget about the camera :twisted: ) I can drive to my target stand, private range, but on most public ones you only do that if you don't want to spend for the bullet hole stickers at the novelty shop :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have been shooting at a sunken wooden post in the drive for about 10 years now and there isn't much left of it. Bill
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

The selfie was taken with a real camera, not my cell phone. Camera is half the size of phone. Fortunately there was nobody to run into. :D
I have just found out about a competition in Sacramento. Out to 500 yards. 200, 300, 385, and 500 I think it was. I need a little practice first. Lol. It is for original condition military rifles. As hollow points or peanut butter tips have to be used I'm thinking the M27 would be good. Or M39.