Showcase Submission / 52 Izhevsk Single Shot Trainer

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Showcase Submission / 52 Izhevsk Single Shot Trainer

Post by Miller Tyme »

I would like to present for the membership consideration the following rifle for inclusion into the Showcase.

It’s a 1952 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant single shot training rifle. The rifle is based upon the 91/30 rifle with a low wall receiver with a plate install in the receiver where the magazine would fit.. The stock is different from a 91/30’s in that no prevision is made for a mag well and has a bedding pillar installed through which the front action screw passes thru and no privision is made in the stock for a cleaning rod. The original finish on the rifle is shellac and is quite worn on this rifle and the heal of the butt stock has been repaired. The hand guard is longer than a standard 91/30’s to compensate for the shorter fixed rear sight on the rifle and the front sight base is an M44 base.

It has been reported that between 10 to 30 of these rifles where imported by CAI in the early 90’s and where found mixed in crates with regular 91/30 refurbs, but as of this date only 2 have surfaced in collections, this one and another in the collection of Gunboards Member “Richard in NY”.

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Showcase Submission / 52 Izhevsk Single Shot Trainer

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That was already a no brainer for the showcase with the first thread. :biggrin:
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:That was already a no brainer for the showcase with the first thread. :biggrin:
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The pic's I took yesterday didn't look to good, but it's was raining so I decided to wait for the sun to come out to get some pics of the rifle to submit for the showcase.
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Very nice rifle! :Drool1:
Really a unique rear fixed sight rather than the usual sight.
Have you had a chance to see how it shoots?
Thanks for sharing so that we can all enjoy it!
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Yes, to the showcase. You won't get a negative vote on such a cool Mosin.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Sweet!! I don't understand why they made such a thing but sweet none-the-less. I vote in. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up from this guy!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Yes!. A unique member of the family tree for sure.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I keep coming back to this and everytime I look at it the collectibility factor doubles, or the cool factor. I wonder, like QZ said why they made them. Obviously for training, but if the numbers were so small were they making them for another country, and canceled them? Or was it for for Russia's own use? Were they military or civilian? In 52 what was Izhevsk primarily building? The Kalashnikov rifle, AK47 for the military, but the Izhevsk factories also made other arms, sporting firearms, Olympic competition rifles, tools and equipment, I don't know what all. But in 52 they made this unusual variation of the 7.62x54R rifle. Was it for sure called a Mosin Nagant? Of all the firearms that come across this forum, from the common to the super hard to find, this one seems to me to be the most facinating. I have always liked trainers. Most of the time they are rimfires. I just keep wondering why they made these if they were intended as training when the automatic rifle was replacing the bolt actions? I can't imagine the Showcase without this example in it now that we have seen it. :P
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
.Gee, I know this a easy showcase :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Big Yes, Question,... is should it be a sticky at the top ? Worthy ...Yes, super rare, Yes. Walt your amazing :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

bunkysdad wrote:I keep coming back to this and everytime I look at it the collectibility factor doubles, or the cool factor. I wonder, like QZ said why they made them. Obviously for training, but if the numbers were so small were they making them for another country, and canceled them? Or was it for for Russia's own use? Were they military or civilian? In 52 what was Izhevsk primarily building? The Kalashnikov rifle, AK47 for the military, but the Izhevsk factories also made other arms, sporting firearms, Olympic competition rifles, tools and equipment, I don't know what all. But in 52 they made this unusual variation of the 7.62x54R rifle. Was it for sure called a Mosin Nagant? Of all the firearms that come across this forum, from the common to the super hard to find, this one seems to me to be the most facinating. I have always liked trainers. Most of the time they are rimfires. I just keep wondering why they made these if they were intended as training when the automatic rifle was replacing the bolt actions? I can't imagine the Showcase without this example in it now that we have seen it. :P

Some intresting new twists to the story have come up. First off the original owner Steve K of CAI has confirmed that only 10 where found mixed in with other refurbs when imported back in the early 90's. The second item is even cooler, a 3rd one has surface over on Gunboards and it has a different S/N prefix than mine and Richards, which makes you wonder just how many of these where produced and why have so few been seen.

I agree with you Russell that there is the possibilty these where produced either for another country as a trainer only to have the order canceled, or possible for civilian sales in Russia since, while rare, firearms where owned by the civilian population to both hunt and to protect grazing livestock. The latter reason would also explain why a single shot rifle was produced when the Russians had so many surplus " repeaters" laying around.

A well armed population is a danger to dictators
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A very, very rare bird! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

:pointright: NOW ON THE SHOWCASE... ;mywink;
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
h bone

Post by h bone »

Very, very nice. I am envious.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Well now we know what this rifle was built for, and it has a Chinese cousin out there to.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... -else-have
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That's the second one I've seen. There is one for sale on GB.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You are a true hunter of collectible rare Mosins MT. You have brought so many interesting and rare Mosins here to share, never stop.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

wow never knew one existed. that is an awesome find!