Deer Hunters

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
outdooraddict

Deer Hunters

Post by outdooraddict »

Who has been successful deer hunting with their Mosin Nagant? I'm going to try this year. I need more range time, but I really think I can get zeroed in with my 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Deer Hunters

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Use commercial soft point hunting loads, not surplus full metal case bullets or over penetration will be a problem. Mosin can easily take down a deer at hunting ranges, here in NY that's about 60 yards or less. These rifles were designed to take down much more dangerous game than bambie.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Yep, in aware of the fmj issue. Just curious as to how many people hunt with theirs.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Black powder hunter myself. But I take a mosin or 2 to play with. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

desdem12 wrote:Black powder hunter myself. But I take a mosin or 2 to play with. :biggrin:
I really need to get a black powder gun. Always wanted one
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

Certainly would get the job done. Would be a little unwieldy in the thick woods I hunt in NH, but would work along power lines or from a tree stand.
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

bimmey wrote:Certainly would get the job done. Would be a little unwieldy in the thick woods I hunt in NH, but would work along power lines or from a tree stand.
That's the use I was thinking, while on stand. I'd carry my shotgun or .30-.30 in the thick stuff.
A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

There is a TV Show on The Nat Geo channel called Life Below Zero ,Agnes and Chip Hailstone ,She hunts Carabu with a Mosin Nagant on the show.
She also has many other rifles to choose from.
Richard
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

It's been years since I've been deer hunting, but I can't see myself humping a 91/30 over the hills and through the second-growth of Pennsyltucky. If I'm going to sit, fine, but if I have to move at all, I'll be taking one of the carbine variations. Or more likely, a Russian Capture K98k. :wink:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've hunted with various milsurps including mosins the last few years. djbuck1, I've used a long old m91infantry rifle the last few years in Pennsyltucky. It can be tiring for sure.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

A1RADIOMAN wrote:There is a TV Show on The Nat Geo channel called Life Below Zero ,Agnes and Chip Hailstone ,She hunts Carabu with a Mosin Nagant on the show.
Richard
I don't have nat geo :/
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

I don't have a TV. Sounds like a cool show though.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I have a friend with a private game hunting preserve and just today we were talking about some does he needs to cull out. IF the culling happens at a time I'm available I'll take a '36 Tula 91/30 and my '42 M38 with PPU 150ng SPBT bullets. Range will only be 125 yds or less and I see no reason to expect the 7.62x54r will preform any less satisfactory than would 30-06, 308, 303R or any other similar caliber. If I get a second opportunity I'll take my m95 Styer, with 208gn SPs. And before you ask my wife and I do our own butchering and the meat will be used.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A1RADIOMAN wrote:There is a TV Show on The Nat Geo channel called Life Below Zero ,Agnes and Chip Hailstone ,She hunts Carabu with a Mosin Nagant on the show.
Richard
Her Mosin is actually an M39. She does all the shooting and she is very good with it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

walnut red wrote:I have a friend with a private game hunting preserve and just today we were talking about some does he needs to cull out. IF the culling happens at a time I'm available I'll take a '36 Tula 91/30 and my '42 M38 with PPU 150ng SPBT bullets. Range will only be 125 yds or less and I see no reason to expect the 7.62x54r will preform any less satisfactory than would 30-06, 308, 303R or any other similar caliber. If I get a second opportunity I'll take my m95 Styer, with 208gn SPs. And before you ask my wife and I do our own butchering and the meat will be used.
If you need help, shoot me a message! ;)

What kind of hunting preserve?
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Gonna try my m38 on moose this fall if I get a draw.

Bear this spring...if I ever get time to go out...grrr
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

outdooraddict wrote:.
If you need help, shoot me a message! ;)

What kind of hunting preserve?[/quote]

It's not big, only a few hundred acres. He is a rabid bow hunter, leopard,, caribou, etc and has this game preserve set up for breeding and bow hunting whitettail deer. It's kind of funny because he keeps breading records of his deer like you would for cattle. I'm told nothing under 10 points gets hunted and expect to pay in the low 5 figures.