Mosin Nagant Barrel Life

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tjtM38

Mosin Nagant Barrel Life

Post by tjtM38 »

I've been shooting these Mosin Nagants a lot over the past year. For those who have been shooting them longer, what's the barrel life expectancy on these refurb guns in which the barrel is initially in real nice shape? Assuming I shoot nothing but surplus ammo and have good bore/chamber cleaning habits, will it last 2,000 rounds? 3000 rounds?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin Nagant Barrel Life

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have shot more than that in some of mine with no wear that the eye can see. Poor cleaning techniques can ruin a bore faster than shooting it can. Use a rod made of softer material than the bore and don't saw away with the thing to much. Some people get anal about getting the last drop of fouling out, they do more damage than that bit of fouling will ever do. I don't know 25,000 rounds, 50,000? Let you know when I get there :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'd bet on you needing a shoulder replaced before the barrel.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Someone asked this one time, and it was figured how long the bullet was in the barrel, and that number was multiplied by say 15000 shots, and it was figured the barrel life was about 8 seconds. :lol:
Here we go I found it. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... rrel-life/ I would say a MN lasts longer than this due to the lower velocity of the 7.62x54r round.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
gunsrtools

Post by gunsrtools »

So, even if you get 30,000 rounds through the barrel---it has a 60 second life.

Now that makes ya really appreciate your barrel!
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Poor cleaning techniques can ruin a bore faster than shooting it can.
+1 - Perhaps one of our "enterprising" listers could develop a good cleaning rod guide for the M-N receiver. These are a must if you really want to do the job right and minimize wear and/or damage to the rifling.

Mike
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:Someone asked this one time, and it was figured how long the bullet was in the barrel, and that number was multiplied by say 15000 shots, and it was figured the barrel life was about 8 seconds. :lol:
Here we go I found it. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... rrel-life/ I would say a MN lasts longer than this due to the lower velocity of the 7.62x54r round.

I was thinking of that article when I began reading this thread. Thanks for posting it as I would have spent the next hour trying to find it. :wink: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Cleaning technique is probably the biggest factor in long barrel life. Clean from the breach and never the muzzle. If you must clean from the muzzle, then use a pull through system like the Otis. Muzzle wear degrades accuracy faster than anything. Throat erosion is inevitable and will vary from rifle to rifle depending on ammo types, rate of fire, amount of firing etc. That being said, I have personnally seen M1's with throat erosion measurments as high as 8 still be competitive. What also counts is what degree of accuracy is necessary for your shooting sport? Bench rest shooters need to be within 100's if not 1000's of an inch. The local milsurp shoot can usually be won by a competent shooter using a rifle that maintains 6inches at 100yds. And most deer hunting can be accomplished with 12inches at 100yds. Many factors all play into barrel life, but truthfully only a few folks shoot enough to worry about it. The average "Joe" will never shoot enough to effect it or even notice it.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These days I get 6 MOA I am happy as a pig in shit. Can't see worth a dam anymore. You right Rob, I remember how well some of the worn Blue Sky Garands still shot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt