1st M39, I just wanted it=mosinitus

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
oldmanshootin

1st M39, I just wanted it=mosinitus

Post by oldmanshootin »

Questions about markings and value! Looks like 1918 Remington receiver. Everything else is outta my league. :lol:
DSC02776.JPG
DSC02775.JPG
DSC02772.JPG
DSC02769.JPG
DSC02768.JPG
DSC02767.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldmanshootin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not yet a collector, just a gatherer!
Lotema

Re: 1st M39, I just wanted it=mosinitus

Post by Lotema »

Looks like a 1918 tula receiver. Remington was a circled r, yours looms to have the small tula hammer above the date.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

DSC02765.JPG
DSC02762.JPG
DSC02758.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Very nice..
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Nice M39! Especially for your first. Great looking stock. :thumbsup:
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Lotema wrote:Looks like a 1918 tula receiver. Remington was a circled r, yours looms to have the small tula hammer above the date.
:pointup: +1 & she looks good too! Let us know how she shoots! I have a feeling you've just picked up what will be your favorite Mosin! :thumbsup:
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

The stampings on the bolt body are crazy! Beautiful rifle! :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Now you've done it Oldman. You've opened Pandora's box. Congratulations. It is a very eye appealing rifle.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Welcome to the Finn dark side of the mosin universe. That's a beauty !!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Wow. That looks really good!!
mndang

Post by mndang »

Nice!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Very nice! Any shots of the rifle overall?
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
What were the specific questions about the markings? Looks like a Sako, Sako marking is the gear. Values on any M39 are $350 and up now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Question for the experts. In the first picture of the second set of pictures on the receiver under the crest is a stamp that looks like an infinity mark with open ends. This space is usually reserved for the "пк" proof commission stamp. This is only the second time I have seen (maybe "noticed") this mark. Does anyone know what it means? I've only seen this on Imperial receivers. Perhaps a proof that was pre "пк"?
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

qz2026 wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Question for the experts. In the first picture of the second set of pictures on the receiver under the crest is a stamp that looks like an infinity mark with open ends. This space is usually reserved for the "пк" proof commission stamp. This is only the second time I have seen (maybe "noticed") this mark. Does anyone know what it means? I've only seen this on Imperial receivers. Perhaps a proof that was pre "пк"?
I thought those were just double "X's", that I have seen on a bunch of receivers that have that stamping above it. I figured they were a part of the stamp of the eagle? I've also seen where the top of the receiver was milled to remove the imperial markings, leaving behind small partial "X's".
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

MarksmanTim wrote:
qz2026 wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

I thought those were just double "X's", that I have seen on a bunch of receivers that have that stamping above it. I figured they were a part of the stamp of the eagle? I've also seen where the top of the receiver was milled to remove the imperial markings, leaving behind small partial "X's".
They could very well be two script "x's" although I have examples of a perfectly round interior, but I don't think they are part of the crest. Hummm, what would "XX" stand for...
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

Lotema wrote:Looks like a 1918 tula receiver. Remington was a circled r, yours looms to have the small tula hammer above the date.
I knew that, might have been 1 too many beers while I was cleaning and drooling over my first M39 :lol: It looks like a Peter the great stamp on receiver but can't figure the mark under it.
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

Checked the bore with pin guages at work,,,, .300 go .301 no go!!!! .3105 barrel bore diameter. Very happy!!!!!! Going to try it out this afternoon. :)
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

bunkysdad wrote:Now you've done it Oldman. You've opened Pandora's box. Congratulations. It is a very eye appealing rifle.

Scary isn't it. :wink: Now I see what all the fuss is about over the M39's!!!!!!. There could be more.