Storing Rifles

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

Storing Rifles

Post by djbuck1 »

'Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but bolt open or bolt closed?

If closed, then closed on a snap cap?

This is a serious question. I now have several rifles purchased on GB that need extensive work on their bores due to lack of (or improper) maintenance. I've always stored rifles with the bolt closed on a snap cap because I never dry-fire a weapon without one.
desdem12

Re: Storing Rifles

Post by desdem12 »

My rifles are stored with bolts open. It is more for space problems then anything else. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I do the same. Bolts open and I usually take the tension off the spring. You'll see what I'm talking about in the second Westinghouse in the thread I posted yesterday. If you use this method, just don't forget you left the bolt in this manner. If you go to shove the bolt home you'll rake the stock on the left side.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I close the bolt but move the handle from the vertical to about the 1 o'clock position, then squeeze the trigger and it flips shut. I think that releases the tension on the spring without firing the rifle.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't keep the bolt open or keep anything in the chamber. The only time I leave a bolt open or slightly open is when on vertical racks where straight bolts are a problem. If you make a rack, use 3 1/2 in centers. Unfortunately the rack I have now does Mosins pretty well but have to keep the straight bolt Mausers at about 2:00. When I pull the trigger on a Mosin I hold the cocking piece and gradually let it slide forward. :)
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

It's all personal preference. Leaving the bolt open or closed does not affect the spring any differently. I've researched/discussed this with not only guns but with classic and/or high end cars as well.

Personally, I have mine stored both ways, depending on the space they are in.

What's much more important in storing is making sure things are properly oiled and there are no fingerprints left on metal, especially when long term storage or in high humidity environments.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Mine are stored closed.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If rust is a worry during long storage then clean the rifle, and spray it down with spray on cosmoline, at least on the metal. Let the cosmoline dry, wrap it up in a big trash bag and seal the end to keep the air out. Bolt closed, tension off the firing pin spring. With an EMPTY CHAMBER firmly hold the cocking piece with one hand, pull the trigger back and ease the cocking piece down . NEVER ATTEMPT THIS WITH A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:If rust is a worry during long storage then clean the rifle, and spray it down with spray on cosmoline, at least on the metal. Let the cosmoline dry, wrap it up in a big trash bag and seal the end to keep the air out. Bolt closed, tension off the firing pin spring. With an EMPTY CHAMBER firmly hold the cocking piece with one hand, pull the trigger back and ease the cocking piece down . NEVER ATTEMPT THIS WITH A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.
No worries. The only time I have a live round chambered is when I'm out at the butts and have the piece pointed up and down range. :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not you I am worried about, but we get a lot of kids and first time gun owners through here who may not understand.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is right Jim. When we do it in practice, we will get in a habit of doing it right after awhile. Like assuming that a gun is empty. I always assume it is loaded. Then I check.
Most of the time my bolts are open so I can stand the rifles closer together.
mebailj

Post by mebailj »

For the last thirty years, I have given the bore a thin coat of R.I.G, rust inhibiting grease, a commercial grease you can get most anywhere. You need to swab it out before shooting, but I have clean and shot rifles after twenty years of storage, and there was not a trace of anything but clean bore. The good thing about it is that it I leaves a thin coat which attracts less dust.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Tuck or no tuck?
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

I only use RIG on the stainless semi-auto pistols as to prevent mauling (aka excessive metal wear between 2 stainless pieces aka the slide and receiver) like the Series 80 colts and Walther PPKS.
Oil, even automotive oil will preserve steel metal parts. :biggrin:
Yeah, oil over the years will collect dirt, lint, etc., but it will preserve from rusting.
Cosmoline is good for the ages... :bwink:
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

I store my with bolt open.

And oil them good and don't worry about dust and lint it will wipe off.

I have been selling and parting out vintage dirt bikes for years on e-bay.and I am always tickled when I find a old bike that someone wants to get rid of or I am buying and it is covered everywhere with old oil and grease.Almost 100% of the time everything under the oil and grease will be in pristime condition even if it has been outside for years and the previous owner would sell it super cheap because it was filthy and covered in oil and grease that was the best thing about old dirt bikes with the oil injections they leaked everywhere. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remember when cars had oil bath air cleaners? That oil would get all over after awhile. The other day I opened the hood on a 1946 Lincoln that had been sitting for over 60 years, the air cleaner still had a wet oil sheen to it, not a spec of rust. Under it was a carburetor that moved freely, even the needle screws turned by hand. That carb and air cleaner are going to bring me the equivalent of at least one M39, maybe with a 91/30 refurb tossed in. I love greasy old crap, greasy never rusts.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

For the ones I store long term, I coat everything with some Ballistol. I close the bolt, keep my thumb on the cocking knob firmly, and pull the trigger keeping tension on the knob to slowly release it. I recall new Polish M44s being sold with the bores packed full of grease, and I had thought about that for the ones I won't shoot long term.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I store mine bolt closed. Each gun turned about 30 to 45 degrees. They won't fit bolt open.