SAR B6P 9mm Range Report

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cjsimoh

SAR B6P 9mm Range Report

Post by cjsimoh »

Had the day off so I took my new SAR B6P to the range. Put 100 rounds through it and there were zero feed, fire or ejection issues! I used 50 each of 115 gr. Estate and PMC Bronze FMJs. Accuracy was as good as, if not better than my S&W 9mm Shield. BUT... on 4 occasions, the magazine dropped out. I count my rounds and it always happened after the 7th round. I don't know if I was hitting the mag release or what, but it even happened after I was focusing on not hitting the release.

It is a great firearm if I can get the magazine issue straightened out. Has anyone had this issue with any pistol? Any ideas on what to look for that may be causing the problem? I'm going to load 3 rounds in it and see if maybe the follower is hitting the magazine catch. I plan to order another magazine for it too and see if using a different magazine fixes it.

Otherwise, I love it and would buy another Turkish firearm in the future. It was $290 total including the shipping and transfer fee.

Here's my 1st 10 rounds at 30 feet, indoor range.

mogunner

Re: SAR B6P 9mm Range Report

Post by mogunner »

I was just looking at these on Buds website last night.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

I ordered mine from CTD. I don't like to order from them, but they had the best price at the time. I did just order a magazine from Bud's. I hope it resolves my issue. EEA does warranty these , but it's $20 shipping each way.
Jack Flag

Post by Jack Flag »

Good quality pistols for a good price.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I agree 100% on the Turkish firearms... they build a hell of a good pistol! I carry a Tisas M1911-A1 every day and it is absolutely flawless after 3000+ rounds. The B6P will be my next purchase.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

I just ordered a SAR B6P from CDNN this morning. At $249 I just couldn't past it up! I can't wait till Wednesday to pick it up.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

With Ruger discontinuing production of the P95, I've been keeping my eyes open for another DA/SA 9mm to get as a backup to the P95 I currently carry. Let us know if you run into any problems with it please!
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

Will do. As it happens the SAR is the replacement for a p95 I had. My wife has weak wrists and COULD NOT stop limp wristing the Ruger (I also didn't like the mushy single action trigger). It was reliable and quite accurate but at the time I could only afford one handgun so I traded it for a revolver, which she shoots quite well. I'm hoping that with the lower bore axis and smaller slide a CZ-75 style pistol, like the B6P, will be the ticket for the MRS.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

My daughter has the same problem with the P95, but then she has tiny wrists. I got the wife an EAA Windicator revolver in .38SPL and she loves the heck out of it, I wish she had stayed in 9mm but at least the .38 is relatively available and I'm starting reloading now so hopefully that takes care of ammo for her, lol. I just don't care for the striker fired pistols.
iwuzwhatiwuz

Post by iwuzwhatiwuz »

Nor do I (care for striker fired weapons). I cast my own bullets so I can reload 9mm for $60-$70 a thousand. If you powder coat your bullets leading isn't a problem. It's cheaper than my black powder pistol!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Well, I powdercoat and am just now starting to reload so it looks like I need to start casting too! Need to find pistol powder too, none around and hate to pay hazmat fees..
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

The new magazine arrived and I hope to get to the range again on Friday. I really hope a different magazine solves the dropping issue. If not, I guess I'll be calling EAA. I am really impressed with the B6P. While I was cleaning it I was able to give it a good close look and the quality is exceptional especially considering the price.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

The new magazine didn't resolve the issue. The magazine keeps dropping out when this pistol is fired.

The magazine seats and latches with no problem, and if I pull on the base plate, it doesn’t come out.
But after several rounds, it just drops out. This happens with my thumbs held totally off of the pistol, so I am not hitting the magazine release accidentally. I had a friend try firing it to see if I was possibly doing something to cause the issue, but the magazine dropped out for him too. I have been loading 10 rounds at a time and it usually (but not always) happens after the 7th round. I have put 200 rounds through it and the magazine dropped 9 times. 150 rounds were 115 grain and 50 were 124 grain. The magazine didn’t drop every time with the 115 grain rounds, but dropped every time with the 124 grain rounds.

It seems as if the magazine release catch is working loose from the percussion/recoil.

I sent it to EAA this week. I hope they can fix it. This is one great pistol when the mag stays in it...! :?
entropy

Post by entropy »

You might be putting too much finger on the trigger, causing the mag to drop after firing a few rounds. If that mag catch sticks out both sides as much as it does the left, thta's a possibility. (Or if you're firing left handed.) Just a thought. Might well be the gun, paritcularly since you had someone else try it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I've held off buying one several times, hope this works out well.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

I received the B6P back from EAA today. First of all, I have to say that it was a very quick turn around... I sent it to them on Monday, March 31 via UPS 2 day air and it arrived at EAA on Wednesday, April 2. So it was only out of my hands for 9 days!

According to the repair notes, they replaced and fit the magazine catch, the catch spring and catch plunger. The magazine catch feels totally "normal" now. What I mean is, before the repair, the slightest pressure on the release button would drop the mag.
Now it requires a decent push to release the magazine, like my other pistols. So I am very optimistic that it will function just fine now. I'll find out on Friday, when I plan to take my next trip to the range.

Other than this little snag with the dropping issue, I love this pistol so far! The quality and materials are amazing, not only for a pistol that cost under $300, but even compared to the higher end brands costing nearly twice as much and more. The accuracy, ergonomics (for my hands anyway) and the fit and finish are great. If anyone is considering getting one, I would encourage you to do so. Any firearm from any manufacturer at any price point can have issues. It looks like the repair folks at EAA made it right again for me.