1944 M39 Sako

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Glock Man

1944 M39 Sako

Post by Glock Man »

My lucky brother just picked this up Saturday,beautiful rifle with a pristine barrel.He lives out in the country about 80 miles from the nearest gunsmith and he has no idea how to slug a barrel.My question is.....Can this rifle be shot safely with 1986 Russian 147gr. ball.....even though the barrel is not "D" marked.I posted on another forum as well and only got two replies.....1 NO and 1 Yes.The guy he bought the rifle from had head space gauges and he checked it before he bought it,checked out great.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Glock Man
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1944 M39 Sako

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes it will shoot it, if it is a 1944 Sako M39. Did you take some pictures?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Every single M39 I own, 17 at last count, shot with whatever ammo I could find for it from Commercial new to heavy ball surplus, and the most absolute crap light ball cheap surplus I could find. Never a problem with any of it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Glock Man

Post by Glock Man »

I live half of Texas from him,but I "WILL" get pics when I visit next........and the rifle as well if I can get him drunk enough...and thanks a bunch guys.

Glock Man
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have shot surplus out of my m39, along with commercial too. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Glock Man wrote:I live half of Texas from him,but I "WILL" get pics when I visit next........and the rifle as well if I can get him drunk enough...and thanks a bunch guys.

Glock Man

Looking forward to it!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

MilSup is good stuff and considering even todays prices, a bargain. Most of it I have shot is damn accurate too, MOST especially out of an M39. Love to see the pictures.. :popgun:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Fire away! Photos!!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When it comes to Finnish Mosins you will be hard pressed to find a better shooter than just about any M39. Buy a case of beer so you can get a good price too! :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill
Bugelson

Re: Vs: 1944 M39 Sako

Post by Bugelson »

Glock Man wrote:My lucky brother just picked this up Saturday,beautiful rifle with a pristine barrel.He lives out in the country about 80 miles from the nearest gunsmith and he has no idea how to slug a barrel.My question is.....Can this rifle be shot safely with 1986 Russian 147gr. ball.....even though the barrel is not "D" marked.I posted on another forum as well and only got two replies.....1 NO and 1 Yes.The guy he bought the rifle from had head space gauges and he checked it before he bought it,checked out great.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Glock Man

Sako m/39s have .310 bores. And all have D-chambers. Go for it!
Glock Man

Post by Glock Man »

My brother is CHEAP drunk.....a bottle of Jack Daniels[I drank 1/2] and $300.00 got me a M39.....not counting the 300 mile drive,I needed to see family anyway.
It's a '44 Sako on a 1914 Tula receiver and most of the small parts are Tula as well in a post war stock.This thing was COVERED in grease and looks like it was put together and went straight to storage.The barrel looks new,not a mark on the stock and he even through in a Finnish sling he had.......gotta love family.These are the only pic I got to come out good,what do you think......good deal??

http://s360.photobucket.com/user/teller ... nish%20M39

Glock Man
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

Oh that is nniiiicccceeee! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: And yes, it looks to me also that it was assembled then stored. A Sako mark on the cocking piece, icing! You done good!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice looking 39 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One bottle of scotch? Why can't I find these people??
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Looks to be a replacement stock with the stiffeners in the butt like that one has. I would say you got the best of the deal for sure! Very nice! Congrats! Bill :D