Some winter shooting

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bocephus

Some winter shooting

Post by bocephus »

I've barely shot all winter because I didn't feel like laying in the snow. Anyone have experience shooting from a truck bed? I considered giving that a try.

I'm starting to get backlogged with rifles I want to test out and see how I like them. This particular one is a hex 32 Izhevsk that I've never cared for. It was a handpick from AIM, I usually have good luck with AIM hand picks but not so much with this one. So my plan was to see how it shoots to make sure it's not something I really like shooting and then thinning it from the herd. The ammo I used was 50's Russian surplus.

My driveway was plowed so I used the snowbank as a rest. I usually shoot from 50 yards, the snowbank pushed me out to at least 60, maybe 70 at the most.

Here's groups of 5 in order. I made the final adjustment with the elby tool after #3 and then put 20 into the top circle without much rest. I'm pretty pleased with these results so for the time being it stays...

Genetically Swiss

Re: Some winter shooting

Post by Genetically Swiss »

The old girl didn't do too badly in her 82nd Winter, did she? :)

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

:thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sweet. That is a lot of snow though.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

you got a silencer on that thing! lol Good shooting there!!
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Now that looks like some serious fun! 8-) :thumbsup:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

One good thing about shooting in the snow......no skeeters.. :thumbsup: :D
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

Nice thing about shooting in the snow is heavy clothing prevents "Mosin Shoulder".
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I agree with both of you! Heavy clothes helps keep you able to shoot more rounds before you get tired, and no mosquitoes to annoy the crap out of you!

I usually don't have this problem as I cut the grass at my range, but in the snow it's easier to find the empty casings... well it usually is because I run my snowmobiles up and down the range as part of one of my trails, which packs the snow nicely, keeping the casings on top. :vcool:

Any way, good shooting!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I keep a path mowed in the summer, I still lose a fair amount of casings in the grass. I was wearing a gortex liner under a carhart, way more comfortable than shooting with a t shirt on.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Before rust killed it I had a Dodge Ramcharger, I would back up onto the range , pop the hatch, and fire from over the rear seat with the engine running and the heat on full. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I did find out one time a negative thing about me using Windex to chase the bad stuff. A wet patch stuck and froze in the bore with Windex on it. It took three of us and a lot of muscle to get it out of there. That was the worst I ever had it when shooting in the snow. Even the Kroil oil was slow in moving! I had on a couple of layers and my old Air Force severe weather gear I got at Thule, Greenland and man was I ever cold! Bill :o
scap

Post by scap »

Awesome, I wish I had a property like that. All my shooting spots are currently under a few feet of snow that you could maybe reach on a snowmobile.
Nice shooting.
entropy

Post by entropy »

zeebill wrote:I did find out one time a negative thing about me using Windex to chase the bad stuff. A wet patch stuck and froze in the bore with Windex on it. It took three of us and a lot of muscle to get it out of there. That was the worst I ever had it when shooting in the snow. Even the Kroil oil was slow in moving! I had on a couple of layers and my old Air Force severe weather gear I got at Thule, Greenland and man was I ever cold! Bill :o
You could probably wait until you got inside for the Windex! :wink: I run my Mosins dry in cold below zero. Had to remove the oil from FrankenTula™ for deer hunting this year, that's how cold it was even back in Nov.! :shock: I used powdered graphite, and very little of it, instead, in the reciever bolt raceway, and on the trigger/sear contact area.

Your driveway berm is kinda short there, bocephus; where are you at, Florida or something?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I'm in SE Michigan, any further north this year I would have had to stand up to shoot over it.
entropy

Post by entropy »

If I could shoot from the berm between my sidewalk and the street, I'd need one of those WWI contraptions they used to fire a rifle without having to poke their head up. :wink:

At the in-law's farm, I'd have to "take the hill" before I could shoot over their driveway berm. :lol:

I'm in NW WI, almost on the MN border.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cool Old Guns

Post by Cool Old Guns »

I like the video and I can't believe how quiet the gun sounds. Good shooting in the cold weather!
Dave's Collection
1933 Izhevsk Hex MO/53 Laminate
1938 Tula M91-30 Laminate
1943 Izhevsk M91-30 First Mosin:)
1943 Izhevsk M91-30 Laminate
1944 Izhevsk M-44
1944 Finnish VKT M-39
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Whenever I make a video with my cell phone it sounds pretty quiet, I don't know why.

Just looked at a couple others I have. They're a little louder but still on the quiet side. My phone was close to the ground, maybe the sound went up and out over the snow bank?