Will we have a shortage?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Re: Will we have a shortage?

Post by qz2026 »

I've got plenty already. "O" could do a trade embargo but that would only hurt the people of Ukraine. "P" is in the driver's seat, unfortunately. I'm at a wait and see feeling around if the ammo begins to dry up. My crystal ball is dried up...
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I also have plenty of surplus. Of course more is always better and I can never have enough, but I also reload so my consumption of surplus has decreased dramatically.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:pointup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

So. Off I go in the gathering storm (which now looks to have been spectacularly miscalled in my area, thank God) to get another couple of spam cans. I pick up the last one at Dunhams, but they have more at another store about fifty miles away. Off I go.

Get there, and in addition to the ammo are about eight M91/30s locked in a display case. I go through my standard cross-examination when dealing with clerks who have the "Librarian Mentality:" i.e. We keep these away from you for a reason.

And supposedly there's nothing special. Some wartime Izhevsks and a 1940 Tula. But I make the guy take them out and show them to me. The first one he pulls is a 1943 Izhevsk. He opens the bolt and hands the rifle to me.

Ex-sniper.

It's now here waiting for advanced cosmoline removal.

Life is good.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm not going to panic in this case. If they ban all Russian imports, I'll just shoot somebody else's ammo or reload my own.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

I guess I won't be selling off any of the herd any time soon.
Jon
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Well went to two shows. No 54r or x39 ammo...none seemed to he the hot item. The M91/30 Sniper, USA made cai import plus was not sniper marked. If was must have woren off. They had three sad looking T-53 which are always overpriced. I must admit one was beaten up so bad I almost bought it.... :vsad: ....But it was not worth the price. BUT ! my day did end well. I'll post on it . Not to hi-jack the thread. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I admit that when I picked that Izhevsk up today, "possible shortage," didn't even enter my mind. :wink:
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

The upside is the potential for added history to the common Ukranian depot refurbs...

If they are pressed into service could make for interesting future imports.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

One guy in a nearby city must have thought there would be a shortage. He walked into a LGS, grabbed a spam can and literally ran back out without paying. He was in there maybe 30 secs. They caught him pretty fast.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The gravy train was bound to come to an end sooner or later, surplus ammo has a tendency to get used up somehow. These events have just accelerated the process.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

racerguy00 wrote:One guy in a nearby city must have thought there would be a shortage. He walked into a LGS, grabbed a spam can and literally ran back out without paying. He was in there maybe 30 secs. They caught him pretty fast.
So this fool is going to jail because he is too stupid to realize that you can't be light on your feet packing a spam can of Ammo? Any dummy should know that.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Here's part of my response to the deteriorating situation, and I didn't run anywhere with them. In fact, a nice young fellow took pity on my grey locks and carried one out to the car for me.

The young lady at the check out, overhearing my words to the young fellow about availability gave me a vacant look and said, "Something is happening with Russia?" Pathetic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I have spent all my money. So, it doesn't matter if there is a shortage. Wait. A shortage would be a good thing! Then nobody else could buy anything either! Ha!
I do have two crates coming though.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

B the way, I picked those bad boys up at $99 each. 8-)

Life is good.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:pointup: :Drool1: :Drool1: .....I ONLY WISH I COULD GET SOME FOR UNDER $100.00 IN MY PAWS. NICE SCORE! :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Check any Dunhams if you have that chain in your area. They are running a special.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

So, we already have seen the imports from the Ukraine slow down, possibly from the unrest there. It's pretty obvious that soon there will be economic sanctions against Russia. Isn't that pretty much a guarantee the flow of Mosins will be affected, either for short or long term? If we are moving economically to punish Russia due to violence against Ukraine, wouldn't hunting rifles be the first on the sanctions list?
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

The administration will have realized by now that economic sanctions are the only recourse available. With their usual trenchant depth of analysis, they may not even differentiate between Mosins coming from the Ukraine or Russia. Besides, it's a win/win because they can also cut down (no matter how infinitesimally) on Evil Firearms.

I would guess that rifles coming from Russia will definitely be on a proscription list.

Add to that the fact that this situation could go on for a very long time, and I would use the short-form analysis from my Army days. Situation: doubtful.

And as far as the Ukraine itself goes, if I was in their shoes, I'd stop the export of any military grade weapon right now.

It's all conjecture, I know, but it's difficult to see the situation as good for collectors. Unless you are interested in profit-taking, which I am not. My Executor will, no doubt, deal with that when I go for The Big Dirt Nap.