really good day today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

really good day today

Post by racerguy00 »

Hit a gun show and walked away with a spare bolt for my Gras rifle that had been put aside for me and two Balkan m91s , a PTG snd Sestroryetsk, complete less cleaning rods. The cash I paid plus a partial trade let me skeedaddle with all for about what a typical complete m91 sells for these days by itself.

Then when I got home the Balkan 91/30 I had bought a few weeks ago finally arrived. It was a good day. Pics to follow when I can actually get them to upload.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Genetically Swiss

Re: really good day today

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Always a good day when you go to a gun show and get awesome deals. I went a gunshow today too. Saw a CZ-52 pistol, guy wanted $600! Congratulations on your scores.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Sounds good, can't wait to see the pics! :vcool: 8-) :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

racerguy00 wrote:Hit a gun show and walked away with a spare bolt for my Gras rifle that had been put aside for me and two Balkan m91s , a PTG snd Sestroryetsk, complete less cleaning rods. The cash I paid plus a partial trade let me skeedaddle with all for about what a typical complete m91 sells for these days by itself.

Then when I got home the Balkan 91/30 I had bought a few weeks ago finally arrived. It was a good day. Pics to follow when I can actually get them to upload.
Totally the opposite for me today at a Tucson AZ gun show. Good size show. Very, very small selection of military surplus. And what they did have was no bargain. So disappointing.

Congrats on your day. I look forward to the pictures.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

One guy had a full auto .303 Lewis gun and PPSH-41 for rent. Sounds fun
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That in deed sounds like a good day. Looking forward to the pics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

This was the line to get inside an hour after it opened. The line moved fast though.

Heavily scrubbeed 1916 Sestroryetsk, Serb C marked. Total mismatch, type one bands. Good bore, counterbored. The stock is almost black. Not sure why. It's not refinished.

scrubbed Tula, Romanian stock. Dirty but decent bore. Matching except for bolt. Both rifles have grease caked in everywhere, the Sestroryetsk has pine needles in the action.

Sorry for the poor indoor photos. I'll remedy that later.

1939 Tula, maybe 10% bluing on the exposed metal, not Finn marked. Pinned rear sight, wartime stock that's well worn, no obvious refurb marks.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice Dave :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: See those animals give good Karma Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Well, I broke the rifles down and had a surprise. The stock on the Sestroryetsk makes sense now. It must be a put-together, the stock is a really solid Finn one-piece stock. I knew the tiger striped handguard had a Finn look to it, but I've seen similar ones on Russian and even balkan rifles before. The next thing is there were none of the typical metal shims under the bands. Lifted the action out of the stock and found the typical tacked-in Finn action shims. The barrel channel is clearanced almost as though for a stepped barrel although a faint 1915 tula tang impression is visible in the wood along with the Sestroryetsk one. It is a NICE stock.

The action itself is straight balkan looking, rear sight wedge, scrubbing, etc. So, I have a shooter at least. At worst I got a parts gun. Any thoughts? I still came out way ahead price wise so I'm not complaining.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

They both look great & I really like that stock splice. :vcool: 8-) :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet deal. M91 double. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
gurn

Post by gurn »

Wow, those are sure nice! Now that was a day! Congrats! I like the splice too. :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Looks like a Romanian spliced stock I see? Nice.
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Nice Dave! I like that M91/30 the most. Didn't Judy have an M91 with really dark wood like that M91? My first thought when viewing the pics was that the handguard on that M91 was a Finn handguard.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I like the Romanian stock splice as well. Congrats on a good day at the gun show. The chances for that here seem to be less and less each show.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

Very nice rifles you did good
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice stash!!. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I really like the Romanian stock. I'd like to take a closer look at that one. You have my address don't you? :lol:

Wish our guns shows would have anything but nope, not yet. I'm hoping things will turn around this year. Zeebill keeps encouraging those of us ready to give up though.