New mosin not feeding rounds

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zedteamk2

New mosin not feeding rounds

Post by zedteamk2 »

I put some dummy rounds in my new mosin and they dont feed correctly. It looks like the spring that pushes the rounds up is not strong enough.
Also, i noticed there are shims between the stock and the part that holds the ammo, and that the bottom of that piece (the name escapes me) has some play to it.
I am referrring to the piece on the bottom, that you can open up and all the rounds will fall out - that has some play to it.
Any suggestions?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New mosin not feeding rounds

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

interrupter /ejector adjustment may be needed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I will definately look into it. Thanks for giving me better search terms than the thingee on the bottom is loose :D
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

The thingy on the bottom... I think you are talking about the magazine floor plate? It's ok if that is loose. Many are. It's the springs inside/attached to it that could be weak, but unlikely.

JYD has a good theory in that the interruptor may need some tweaking.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

And by tweaking they are talking about a very minimal amount of bending, but less than a bend, more of a tweak. It may take lots of playing with it. Also making sure the little channels that parts fit into are clean. They have a tendency to fill with grease and dirt. The floor plate tightens up and quits rattling when there are rounds in it holding tension against it. You are very wise to use dummy rounds. Using live rounds makes us the dummy. :P
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Before you go bending, take it out and clean it. Sometimes gunk will do it.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes. Redeuce is correct.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's the thingy attached to the left rear side of the receiver and held in with a tiny screw, it protrudes into the receiver and regulates the flow and angle of rounds up from the magazine. Some are one piece, others are two piece, both do the same job.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

MarksmanTim wrote:The thingy on the bottom... I think you are talking about the magazine floor plate? It's ok if that is loose. Many are. It's the springs inside/attached to it that could be weak, but unlikely.

JYD has a good theory in that the interruptor may need some tweaking.

Correct ! i could not for the life of me think of the correct name for it

The dummy rounds are great- especially in my pistol - great for dry fire practice.
It's alsoa great way to make sure everything is working with much reduced risk of putting a hole in something
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

One thing to check also is the magazine follower springs. There's two of them, one near the top that's in a recess to hold it in place and the lower which is held in place by a small screw that sometimes works loose. They're pointed out below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LukeTheDrifter

Post by LukeTheDrifter »

I think WeldonHunter might have just given you the right answer. Those follower springs can get weak or bent through use or misuse. Replacing the springs or even the whole follower (including good springs) could very possibly fix you up, and is easy to do.

Make sure the interrupter/ejector is installed correctly, as previously noted.

Also, please keep in mind that 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge (thus the "r" in "54r"). Therefore, if you load a round on top of another round with the top round's rim behind the next round down's rim and push the bolt forward to strip the top round into the chamber, you can/will get "rim-lock". This also commonly happens with .303 British. Basically, you're pulling two rounds instead of one. The easiest solution might just be to double check how you're loading your magazine!

Good luck!

Luke

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped." Psalms 28:7