first SKS purchase

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
tampico96

first SKS purchase

Post by tampico96 »

I recently have gotten the Soviet firearms bug. I bought a m92 pistol, ak underfolder and a mosin. Currently in the market for a sub $500 sks. Any deals that anybody knows of? Was thinking about ordering one from Classic Firearms... Opinions?
mogunner

Re: first SKS purchase

Post by mogunner »

Classic or Royal Tiger, you can't go wrong with a first year Chinese, especially if you love cosmoline.
Drew787

Post by Drew787 »

Classic generally has Chinese SKS for $319 and sometimes they run specials for $299, if I wasn't lazy I would go check and tell you what's going right now, I'll leave that to you though. When I got mine from them, it was a decent issue style rifle with plenty of "character" and even more cosmoline. It is a pretty good shooter though.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a beat up Chinese, go with Classic. But those prices are not low now a days. You can buy one made in say 1979 or 1980 with beautiful finish and condition for about $400. Many other lesser ones for $350. Just saying!
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

txbiker

Post by txbiker »

I too have gotten the SKS bug. I recently bought a 1954 Russian Tula. The upper hand guard looks as if it is from a different rifle. Color is nowhere near matching the rest. My question, should I try to refinish to near the same color as the rest of stock or learn to live with it. If the decision is to refinish, I could sure use some tips on how to go about refinishing it.
Thanks
txbiker
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

txbiker wrote:I too have gotten the SKS bug. I recently bought a 1954 Russian Tula. The upper hand guard looks as if it is from a different rifle. Color is nowhere near matching the rest. My question, should I try to refinish to near the same color as the rest of stock or learn to live with it. If the decision is to refinish, I could sure use some tips on how to go about refinishing it.
Thanks
txbiker
Russian SKS rifles whether refurbed ones or not have and continue to increase in value. If you refinish that hand guard, the value of that rifle drops way, way down. Not all were color matched on these. I could better tell what you have if you posted pictures of it.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would be looking real hard at the current batch of grease packed Chinese models that Aim has for 300 bucks. They are the first listed on the link from Weldonhunter at gun-deals.
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I got mine from classic, one of the chinese ones. All up it was about $350 i think, shipping and what not.
Shoots great, lots of character ( someone carved B.V.A. in the stock --- wish i knew what it meant )
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Another two variants if your interested, M59 and M59/66 Yugoslavian http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=32
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.