Homemade dissicant packs

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
TheMaineEvent

Homemade dissicant packs

Post by TheMaineEvent »

No doubt a lot of you know how to make your own dissicant packs, but for those of us who are new(er) to shooting I thought this would be a good thread since I just found out how to make your own and thought I'd share the information.

I don't think it's any secret that putting a few packs in your safe along with one in any storage container is a good idea, but what do you do when it's time to swap them out? Sure, you can buy them, but the easiest thing to do is make your own as it's cheap to do and you can make them to the size you want.

There are some kitty litter makers that use silica for their kitty litter and this is what you want. You want to make sure you buy the silica based litter as that's very important, but it's very easy to tell from looking at the litter and/or reading the ingredients. I bought a 4lb bag of Mimi Litter at Walmart for just over 4 bucks and I also purchased some cone shaped coffee filters to use as the base for a pack.

Simply put the desired amount of silica in the coffee filter, fold, and staple. You now have a dissicant pack.Easy peasy.
jayrocka1200

Re: Homemade dissicant packs

Post by jayrocka1200 »

good info ! I take them out of packing boxes at work :)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Awesome tip! I just take the big ones out of ceiling fan boxes that we install for work haha.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I buy bulk bags of desiccant from Hobby Lobby for cheap but I had not thought about using coffee filters. Good idea.

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." - Henry David Thoreau
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

A lot of items that we buy are shipped with dissicant packs, but I never had any on hand when I needed them and figured there had to be an alternative to buying them. If I keep the litter sealed I may be set for life, lol. 4lbs will make a lot dissicant packs.
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

is it unscented litter ?
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

The Mimi Litter that I bought doesn't have an order that I could detect, but I'll admit that I didn't stick my nose in the bag. If it helps, here's what it looks like:

As you can see, it actually doesn't look like your typical cat litter, and it shouldn't since it's silica.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Just make sure your kitty does not get in your vault or ammo storage. :big shock: I had a cat do his business in my brass tumbler (Bowl style) once. :big shock: :big shock: I was not happy. :angry4:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TheMaineEvent wrote:The Mimi Litter that I bought doesn't have an order that I could detect, but I'll admit that I didn't stick my nose in the bag. If it helps, here's what it looks like:

As you can see, it actually doesn't look like your typical cat litter, and it shouldn't since it's silica.
Color the rest of it blue and you have Walter Whites secret Meth formula :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote:Just make sure your kitty does not get in your vault or ammo storage. :big shock: I had a cat do his business in my brass tumbler (Bowl style) once. :big shock: :big shock: I was not happy. :angry4:
:chuckles: :chuckles: :Ha: :big laugh: :bellylaugh: :slap:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I think it was Rongo that had his cat do his business in one of his wife's designer handbags. Kitty lives outside now.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Longcolt44 wrote:I think it was Rongo that had his cat do his business in one of his wife's designer handbags. Kitty lives outside now.
All these creative cats, Tiger just uses his litterbox.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I remember reading that drywall (gypsum) makes a good cheap desiccant for ammo cans. Cut it to fit, tape the ends so the dust doesn't flake off. They can be dried out in the oven.
Kollaa kestää
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Some of you have cats with an agenda, lol. I had a roommate that had a cat and I swear that when he looked at me he was trying to plan how to kill me in my sleep.
DrSoup32

Post by DrSoup32 »

Great tip thanks. Not to offend (I am, as of today, new to the forum) but Robert Di Nero and I would not get along. Not a fan of cat's!
"Gentleman, prepare to defend yourselves." - We We're Soldiers