Day late and a dollar short

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Loditrapper

Day late and a dollar short

Post by Loditrapper »

I thought the deal I got from Cope's Distributing was so good, I was just gonna have to take advantage of it again. A 91/30 and a spam can for $199. Just had to wait until Friday. Pay day. But Friday's too late, they sold out. All gone, waited too long. I was going to buy one a month for as long as they lasted. I guess I did. Oh well, at least the money will be available to pay for all the .22 ammunition I've got backordered. Or maybe some will show up on the dealer's shelves. I'll at least have enough $$$ to afford a brick or two.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Day late and a dollar short

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

C'est la vie
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You guys don't have 22 ammo yet? I just bought 2 325 round boxes of long rifle for $50 at the last show again. Not the best price but it was for a hoarder buddy who has two kids that shoot a lot. Wally World has it from time to time but a LGS owner takes his farm worker aliens down there and buys it all up to sell in his shop for 3 time+ what he paid for it. Then he marches them across the street to Mickey Dee's for a free breakfast. Ain't capitalism great! :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice, real nice, undocumented aliens buying ammo. Run a truck through that shop for me Bill.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

Cope's Distributing is listing the Mosin and spam can deal again-$199. Don't know if it was just a glitch on Monday, or maybe they read these forums. It IS a good deal, and the 91/30 I got was far and away better than any I've seen in the gun shops around here for a long time.

Now, if you're reading this Cope's, get some .22 long rifle ammunition in. That Romanian trainer rifle I bought from y'uns for my grandson is languishing for lack of ammo. Oh, it's being fed, sparingly, but .22 ammo is just not to be had here in southern ohio. I'm backordered at Midway (from when they were still accepting backorders) and am lurking at the Walmart at the late hours when the trucks come in. Nothing. Last night I thought I had it made. They were stocking ammo at Walmart. Shotgun shells. Boxes and boxes of shotgun shells. So many that it overflowed their locking cabinets and they had to put them on the shelves. Shotgun shells! The season for most critters ends here in three days. And these weren't trap shells, they were hunting shells. A good portion of them were slugs.

My thoughts on this are: Ammunition companies are having no trouble keeping up with demand for shot shells. Everybody says it's the hoarders driving this shortage. Now maybe this is true, but I can't forget the politician who said, after the last gun legislation went down to defeat, "You can have your guns, we'll get your ammo." If that's their strategy, where best to start but with the .22 ammo? It's sorta the "gateway drug" for most shooters. I sure planned on it being that for my grandson. Get the .22 ammo, but they don't want to p*ss off all the hunters. They're afraid of the hunters. How many times have you heard them say, "We're not trying to take the guns from hunters". Not yet, anyway. But they sure hate us recreational shooters. We're the ones that drive this "gun culture". And don't think they don't hate us, 'cause the DO. I'm a democrat, and you don't know how many times I've been shouted down trying to speak my opinion. My god-given and constitutionally protected opinion. They don't want to hear it. Guns are EVIL, and if they can't get the guns, they'll get the ammo. Tried to buy powder or primers here lately?
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

I hope the preceding rant wasn't considered political. It wasn't meant to be. Consider it frustration on my part. And a deep seated suspicion of everyone in the halls of government. Stopped at local gun store again today. Been two and a half months since they've had ANY .22LR on their shelves. Went to CMP website, 6-12 months before they plan on having any. Damn, fellers.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Loditrapper, every time I go to Gander Mountain or Academy, or even Walmart I am told " you just missed it". The guy at Academy told me if I had been 20 minutes earlier His whole counter was stacked with 22 ammo. I nearly called him a liar to his face!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

It disappears as soon as it comes off the truck. Guys literally wait for the truck to arrive.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Time for some outright good old graft, a payoff, collar that counterguy, hand him your phone number and show him a $50 bill, explain that if he shunts 500 -1000 rounds of .22 to the side and calls you right away the bill is his. Most of these guys don't get paid shit, money talks, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Thiat'll get you fired at Wally World instantly! Don't you think Rongo (and I) could be making some buckage that way? I had a guy ask me if we had any .22's in (I am maintenance, mind you, was running the floor scubber by sporting goods when he asked me), and I said I'd check the cart sitting behind the counter, as yet unworked. We found a case of Winchester 333 count .22's, ten boxes in the case. He took the limit allowed at our store, three boxes. I had to leave the case sit on the cart, hoping no one noticed it until 7 AM, when I got off and could buy some. I bought one, all I could afford. Skipper had to pass on a 1400 count box of Remington .22's at Fleet Farm the day before, he couldn't spare the $60 they wanted for that. The 333 box was $17, so I gave that to him as a consolation. He's been using about 50 rounds a week potting coons and rabbits with his buddies. I sure wish he'd bring a couple of the rabbits home!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I wish Walmart would carry the Remington Bucket-O-Bullets, and never run out of stock. Oh yeah, and I wish I looked like Tom Selleck.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Reminds me of the emails I get from a C&R vendor with deals. Any time I went to the site the rifles were sold out. Some of these times I looked within a couple minute or two and they are shown as sold out. Is business that good or is it a ploy to get you to look at their site in hopes of buying other rifles that cost more than the sale items that just sold out ? Holy conspiracy Batman !!!! :?
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I was at Cabelas yesterday killing time while the kids were at a night class. They have everything you can think of there except 7.62x25, 9x18, and .22lr. The sales guy said they sold out of the last batch but it was there almost the entire day. So it must be coming in bigger batches. I could buy thousands of rounds off armslist or gunbroker for $0.13 to $0.20 per round instead of the 80 rounds at $0.06 per round I found once a Cabelas before Christmas.

I bet a good chunk of the supply goes to scalpers selling on line or at shows. Cabelas is likely to have it last longer due to their limits. It's not worth the time for resellers.
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Production has to catch up soon. I hope anybody hoarding it for re-sale loses a bundle when it comes back.

They're keeping kids (and me) from shooting as much.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I guess I'm a hoarder. I bought some and don't even own anything that shoots it. :D

It was a Christmas present for someone looking for more.